Your viewing journal

Full Metal Alchemist 1-4

I reckoned it was about time I watched this highly regarded series. I'd seen the first couple of episodes when they aired on Anime Central, but soon missed one and that was that. Anyway. Strong writing, likeable characters, a well-developed world, high production values, a classy soundrack, and a great dub. Not much to complain about here.

Trinity Blood - Episodes 8-16
Negima - Episodes 6-10
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Striker S - Episode 1 (actually seems pretty good, with kawaii girls as a bonus :))

fabricatedlunatic said:
Full Metal Alchemist 1-4

I reckoned it was about time I watched this highly regarded series. I'd seen the first couple of episodes when they aired on Anime Central, but soon missed one and that was that. Anyway. Strong writing, likeable characters, a well-developed world, high production values, a classy soundrack, and a great dub. Not much to complain about here.

I see you've gotten over your 'Shounen series are made for kids; I'm a man!!!' issue. I salute you for showing the maturity required to move forward.

FMA is a great anime. It's only hated by purists because it has a ton of filler and eventually diverges from the source material fully. The funny thing is that it's hard to guess what's filler and what isn't, for the most part at least.

Once you finish the anime, I recommend you pick-up the manga to see the differences in pacing and the handling of certain scenes. Volumes 2-9 are currently selling for only £4.29 each over at TBD. I don't know why I'm telling you when, for reasons unknown, you've ignored every attempt I've made to get you to buy Chrono's Crusade for cheap... I guess I'm just a nice guy?

----------

Dual: 1-4

I like this series quite a bit. It's not blatantly obvious that it does because there are a LOT of awful series out there, but Dual parodies Evangelion-esque where a boy somehow, for the sake of mankind, ends up fighting enemies in a gigantic robot. The mechas are called 'Unit 01-03' and there's even a red mecha that looks very much like that of a certain tsundere.

Cliche/copy check:

- A school kid/boy gets sent to another world...or, in this case, dimension.
- Boy must save the world in a mecha because Re...err, because a girl gets hurt and can no longer pilot the mecha.
- Boy lives with As..err, a girl from his school because he has nowhere else to go.
- The boy finds himself surrounded by a group of hotties who all want his penis.
- There's a guy with glasses who is in charge of earth's defense.
- Despite the enemies being more powerful than the 'good' weapons of mass destruction in robotic form, they all attack one at a time to be fair.

It's dumb (and doesn't try to hide it) but I like it for taking the piss out of Evangelion and the like. 7-7.5/10 goodness, methinks.

The one plot point (lol) that's bugged me is how, despite getting sent over to the other dimension first, his future love (by some strange coincidence, she's the hottest, most wanted girl at his school...and loves robots/nerds) ended up arriving in the other world a month earlier, without explanation. But, since I'm not supposed to take a story where no-one dies in a battle for the world seriously, I'm not going to think too hard about stuff like that.

Someday's Dreamers: 1-3

Good God, this has to be the most boring **** I've had to endure, Doki Doki aside. I couldn't even force myself to finish the first volume - I had to stop myself to stay awake. Time seemed to be passing veeeeeery slowly when it was on my TV.

Sod all happened:

A girl goes in the direction of a magic tutor for reasons unknown, gets helped across the street by a random guy, makes it to the place, tells the manly men to put their tops on because seeing shaved chests causes her to have erotic thoughts, gets taken to the mage registering place, has the guy who helped her across the street throw the money she created for him at her (like any sane person would do), followed by her crying a lot about nothing...and that's pretty much it.

It was like watching something move in slow friggin' motion. And the whole mage stuff sucks hairy, unwashed ****. The tutors teach their pupils no magic whatsoever because, if you join the holy mage union, you're only allowed to use magic when a request comes in. Just to make it clear how retarded this is, the main character goes somewhere to get taught nothing, to get restictions put on her magic use and to get a ring put on her finger so that others can track her and see what magic she uses. Who the hell thinks up this rubbish!?

I can handle lots of sausage, shaved chests and well-built men - my anus is secure - but ****** story-telling with god awful pacing I cannot deal with. There better be some lesbian activity to make up for this mess soon or I'll have to drop(kick) this ****** series I own on DVD.

Laputa

Great Teacher Onizuka 37 - 43 which means i finished GTO last night. Really enjoyed the series, and was sad to see it come to an end. I did however feel a little let down as there was no real wind up to the final episode. It was quiet abrupt imo. But then again I was enjoying the series, so I wanted more. I gave it a 7/10 (I'll just post my rating here). ^^

Bubblegum Crisis ep 2 & 3
More quality. I'm really starting to like this older animation style.

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi ep 1 - 3
I've started watching it in the order that it's currently being broadcast. Useful, because without them, and with my memory, just watching the new episodes may be a tad confusing.

Watched Pale Cocoon on everybody's favourite source of crispy bread products.
A very thought-out work. The director's vision is captured perfectly by the CGI. Unfortunately, the viewer is distanced from the work; the climax it reaches is grasped by the head far more than it is by the heart.

Titan said:
Serial Experiments Lain volumes 1 and 2

I've heard good things about this....i'm thinking of checking it out.

O/T:
Kakurenbo
Elfen Lied
Desert Punk
Hellsing Ultimate
Afro Samurai

Are all on my list to watch :)

and atm i'm just revisiting my bubblegum crisis, Trigun and Cowboybebop :p

holding off on the FMA rerelease as i prefer the american Dub rather than the raw version.

Have been looking at boxsets on Beez and listening to review podcasts on eyeonanime.

Gall Force 1-3

Not what I was expecting, but sometimes that can be a good thing. I warmed to the characters very quickly, but that fact was sadly wasted a bit as they started dropping dead left and right, only for most of the survivors to disappear and not be used again from episode 2 onwards.

The plot starts off as a faily simple "space battle" one, but it moves into much more interesting territory by the end and almost felt like (albeit a more awkward and less well executed) Gunbuster in the fact that is managed to make you feel emotion for the characters despite bouts of silliness and sci-fi cliches. Like Bubblegum Crisis (from the same studio and character designer) the musical interludes were great and added to my enjoyment of the show - more modern anime should learn to do this properly.

All in all 7 out of 10. The first episode is probably a little better than the others.

Back