Your viewing journal

@ayase, watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes! It's 110 episodes, so it won't run out that quickly and it's better than Death Note and Bubblegum Crisis combined (probably!).

Yes, ayase, jump on the bandwagon with most anime bloggers and watch LotGH OR alternatively be true to yourself and watch Wolf's Rain, your choice.

Also watched all of GunGrave, the usual weekly episodes of Eden of the East, Guin Saga, Queen's Blade and new FMA and currently started Ouran, which is a decent watch.

LotGH is an excellent series - one of the best in existence. But, as Jailbait has highlighted in the past when I've posted about it, it's flaw is that it takes a lot of effort to watch and can be pretty draining. Unlike most lengthy series, LotGH is dialogue heavy and can be rather complex, plus it has more character names and ranks to remember than is good. It's the sort of series I'd need to watch constantly or risk having my interest levels drop.

There's also the fact that, the first 16 or so episodes side, only low quality (in terms of video quality) fansubs are available on the net. Watching an endless series in low quality on my 19" monitor isn't exactly very tempting, especially when I have to sit on my chair because my bed is too far away.

NieA 7 - 1-4

Meh. A pretty boring anime, not helped by the alien elements taking away from what could've been a realistic and involving slice of life series. The first four episodes haven't pulled me in, and I doubt the remainder of the series will be able to make me think of it as being more than a 7/10 watch and forget series. Not what I was hoping for.

Yeah, LotGH is pretty complex, but I'd never describe it as "draining". I don't think keeping track of the characters and such has ever seemed like a chore while watching it. I'm up to episode 16 now and I haven't noticed anything particularly poor about the quality either :]

How far did you get with the series before dropping it, Aion?

I think I got to episode 28, stopped because Persona 4 distracted me for 80 or so hours, tried to rewatch the episodes I'd seen to get back into it and then stopped after rewatching all the DVD-rips (the first 16 or 18 episodes have DVD-rips).

It'll be awhile before I make another attempt because I'd now need to watch the start of the series AGAIN to get a feel for it. It'd feel weird if I jumped back in where I stopped originally after getting to that point months ago.

That's the reason I'm wary of starting Legend of the Galactic Heroes: my attention span is not large enough to contain that many episodes. At some point I'd be distracted and during that time every detail I'd absorbed into my brain would quietly leave by the back door.

I made a start on the second season of Gantz. It's much like the first, only with more knobbing and worse animation (I'm baffled that Theron Martin of ANN actually praised the show's visuals. If this is Gonzo's "A" team, I don't want to see what garbage their "B" and "C" teams turn out.).

But I've watched these 16 episodes over a period of about 3 - 4 months and I've never lost track entirely of what's going on. The central, important characters are memorable and the story is also excellently summed up at the start of more or less every episode. I didn't think I'd have the attention span for a series this grandiose, but it's really rather easy to follow in the end.

CitizenGeek said:
But I've watched these 16 episodes over a period of about 3 - 4 months and I've never lost track entirely of what's going on. The central, important characters are memorable and the story is also excellently summed up at the start of more or less every episode. I didn't think I'd have the attention span for a series this grandiose, but it's really rather easy to follow in the end.

It's probably just you found something that really "clicked" with the series that's made ya' love it. I know some really short series' (23-26 episodes) that i've struggled to pay attention properly to, but others that are longer that's clicked with me and i've remembered all the details.

Heck- i've spoke to people who've said Death Note was to confusing for them- but it clicked with me and I remembered all the details.

Patlabor: Movie 1

A solid enough movie. The plot was rather straightforward, there wasn't much mecha action, the focus instead being on investigating, and I got the feeling I'd need to watch the TV series to understand enough about the cast to care about them. Not an amazing film but worthy of a place in my collection.

L/R: 5-7

Still nothing special. It's a spy series that looks pleasing enough visually and has enough to keep me reasonably entertained, yet it never thrills or pulls me in. I only have a vague understanding of the current story, and I don't care. L/R seems to be one of the many series that, while not a waste of time, is one that will fade from memory quickly.

NieA 7: 5-7

I've started to like the series more with the second volume. Less NieA - one of the most annoying characters ever - and more slice of life. The main character is both cute and very likeable and the seventh episode was deliciously depressing. Watching it made me wish the series had nothing whatsoever to do with aliens.

Aion said:
Patlabor: Movie 1
A solid enough movie.
Well, that could have been worse...

NieA 7: 5-7
Watching it made me wish the series had nothing whatsoever to do with aliens.
The aliens in the show are seen by some as an allegory for foreigners in Japan. I agree that NieA can be annoying, although I like how her carefree existence is sharply contrasted against Mayuko's endless worries. The reason I love NieA_7 is that unlike most slice-of-life series, it's not about nothing; there's a lot of subtle layers to it. I'm glad you're enjoying it more.

ayase said:
Oh, and anyone else think this guy has to be the twin brother (or given the timeframe, perhaps son) of Richard Wong from Patlabor?
Heh, just noticed this. Now that you mention it... I've always hated how the perpetually smirking twat never got his comeuppance

So, overall verdict on Bubblegum Crisis? The only disappointment is the lack of an ending. Bubblegum Crash continues the story but is generally regarded as not being true to the spirit of Crisis. Or very good.

I note that you haven't seen Cyber City. It's no BGC but you might enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
fabricatedlunatic said:
So, overall verdict on Bubblegum Crisis? The only disappointment is the lack of an ending. Bubblegum Crash continues the story but is generally regarded as not being true to the spirit of Crisis. Or very good.
I suppose you must have heard the news about the live-action adaptation then.

Since Saturday afternoon I've watched episodes 21-32 of Hayate no gotoku, as well as episodes 20-22 of KK Nikki.

After soul eater I'm returning to other shows I've had on hiatus for a while.

Just completed Final Fantasy Unlimited earlier today and I moved on to Rozen Maiden.
Final Fantasy Unlimited was atrocious. Besides apparitions of a few common elements to the FF game series, there was next to nothing of Final Fantasy in it.

Rozen Maiden on the other hand is great great fun.

"It was reported that Aso (Japan's PM) was seen reading the manga "Rozen Maiden" in Tokyo International Airport, which earned him the sobriquet "His Excellency Rozen". He admitted in an interview that he had read the manga; however, he said he did not remember whether he had read it in an airport"

Back