Your viewing journal

Onipan! eps 9 & 10
School festival and OniTube.

The Executioner and Her Way of Life eps 11 & 12 (complete)
Chaos child.
At first this was an interesting spin on the isekai formula and once it was off it seemed like it was going to be an adventurous journey, but the first big villain, I felt, was revealed too early and then dispatched too quickly and then the next arc saw them stuck in one place for half the season. Some interesting info was revealed and some mysteries remain, so I would watch a second season. I have a theory, if the OP turns out as spoilery as I think it was. The 4 main female cast on the "good" side were all fun in their different ways. Also lots of yuri bait!
Art was good and some good action scenes animation wise.
7/10

Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun episode 1 Finding the way forward.

Smile of the Arsnotoria The Animation episode 1 Tea time with a twist.

Grimm’s Fairy Tale Classics episodes 22-24 & Grimm’s Fairy Tale Classics Season 2 episodes 25-34

Still yet to finish the shows I started last season but started a bunch of this seasons regardless (the first being Rent-A-Girlfriend S2 the other day).

Tokyo Mew Mew New - Episode 1

Yurei Deco - Episode 1

My Stepmom's Daughter is My Ex - Episode 1

Lycoris Recoil - Episode 1

Lycoris Recoil weirdly has a very similar concept to a game I made in Uni which I would like to carry on with eventually one day, great first episode as well, looks to be a highlight this season.

Ya Boy Kongming eps 10-12 (complete)
Shibuya showdown.
A fun show with a wacky set-up of a tactician from the Three Kingdoms era China getting his dying wish of going to a peaceful time in the world. He lands in modern day Shibuya and comes across a singer with a dream of the big time and agrees to help her. From then on he employs various tactics he had previously employed in war to guide her towards her first big step by the end of the season. I found the story relied a little too heavily on this aspect and he never fails, so there's no tension with any of the plans. The best part was Aiko trying to find her style and meeting a fellow dreamer, although Kongming's guiding hand was in the background even here. Also the introduction of a rapper to the cast was a bit odd, his story was interesting, but had little to do with Eiko's story and thus distracted from it.
Art and animation were very good and the music was also.
7/10

Onipan!
eps 11 & 12 (complete)
Accidental idols and replacements?
Another fun show. I said most of what I want to say in the season review post, so I'll just say there were plenty of LOL moments, including many 4th wall breaks and references.
8/10

Just the delayed Shikimori left to finish off the Spring season.

Over the last couple weeks I've been watching the first couple seasons of Monogatari, watching the Blu-rays purchased in an MVM Christmas deal a few years ago. Upto Tsukimonogatari.

A series where some episodes is a lot of talking but not a lot of plot development. Interesting artwork with hardly any background characters.

A series I think I will leave for the time being before moving onto the 3rd season.

Call of the Night episode 1 Determination.

Chimimo episode 1 A cute discovery.

The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting episode 1 Looking after a little lady.

Grimm’s Fairy Tale Classics Season 2 episodes 35-47 (Complete. An assortment of short stories, some familiar and others more obscure. Despite being aimed at a young audience the more macabre stories didn’t hold back in places.) 3.5/5

The Greatest Demon Lord Is Reborn as a Typical Nobody (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 35

Call of the Night Episode 1 Night life.

Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World (Uncensored) Episode 1

Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun Episode 1 Pressing forward.

My Stepmom's Daughter Is My Ex Episode 1 Sibling animosity.

Smile of the Arsnotoria the Animation Episode 1 Tea time.

The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting Episode 1 This looks like an interesting watch.

Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World (Uncensored) Episode 1

Hmm, an interesting anime of culture this season - I'm up for that! I just watched Episode 1 myself and it seems to be promising. My only complaint as usual for these kind of anime is that I wish all the girls didn't have such huge watermelon boobies, I would much more prefer just some normal, realistic sized melons...

Also watched:
Call of the Night Episode 1 (Now that's the size boobies I prefer!)
The Genius Prince's Guide to Raising a Nation Out of Debt episodes 1-2

Last edited:
Ushio & Tora
What a great series. I didnt know anything about it when I bought it but it was a very pleasant surprise. Action packed, funny, dramatic, starts small scale with seemingly stand alone master of the week stories but builds into a large scale epic.

Cat Planet Cuties
Sci fi/SOL action comedy. Silly but a lot of fun to watch. Was surprised by how action packed it was but it defo made it better.

Thor Love & Thunder
What an absolute blast. Funny, action packed but with a great dramatic core with some nice emotional beats. Christian Bale is phenomenal.

Between a new season of weak first episodes and some older shows that aren't grabbing me, I'm ditching shows left and right at the moment.

My Stepmom's Daughter is My Ex (ep.1) - Tedious Arguments: The Anime. The main characters in this show are so boring that even my boredom got bored. Dropped

Heroines Run the Show (ep.1) - Remember F6, the pretty-boy idol parody versions of the sextuplets from Osomatsu-san? The reverse harem contenders in this show are basically F6, but without a shred of irony. I'm hardly the core demographic for a harem of bishonen anyway, but this lot come across as focus-tested stereotypes. Dropped

Engage Kiss (ep.1) - Some shows have a great-looking first episode and then slide into mediocrity as the season wears on. Engage Kiss ain't got time for that. It has a great-looking first scene and slides into mediocrity by the middle of the first episode. Meanwhile there's something about the world and characters that give off Future Diary vibes in the worst ways. When I saw that the first major action scene was practically a slideshow, I gave up before the end credits rolled. Dropped

Rosario + Vampire (ep.1) - Everything about this show just feels worn out and dated. Dropped

Tokyo Mew Mew New (ep.1) - Despite being a new adaptation, this story clearly comes from the era of magical girls when everything was a cookie-cutter Sailor Moon clone. While not bad, as such, this did nothing to stand out from the crowd. It's nice that some magical girl shows are returning to being aimed at young girls instead of middle-aged creeps like me, I suppose. Dropped

Lycoris Recoil (ep.1) - This could have been called Is The Order A Sket Dance Gunslinger Girl? State-sponsored, brainwashed child assassins work at a cafe and do odd-jobs for the community as an alternative to murdering everyone the government flags as undesirable. This...could maybe be interesting? I'm not usually a fan of the whole brainwashed orphan thing, but I'll give it three episodes. On probation

Teppen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing 'til You Cry (ep.1) - You know those scenes you see in anime and Japanese movies where someone is watching a variety show on TV where a couple of presenters/comedians do a weirdly formal and unfunny comedy routine? Yeah, this is basically that. Rather than focusing on stage performances, the show mostly weaves that style of humour into slice of life scenes in a way that works better. It's okay. Definitely more Joshiraku than Rakugo Shinjuu. On probation

Yurei Deco (ep.1) - Oh no, is this what cyberpunk has turned into? A typically ugly/vibrant/frenetic Science Saru production, this has some promise, but the idea of cyberpunk for the social media generation makes me throw up in my mouth a bit. On probation

Last edited:
Dropped
Dropped
Dropped

Dropped
On probation
On probation
On probation

Well I had hopes for My Stepmom's Daughter is My Ex and Lycoris Recoil, I haven't watched them yet but now I don't know... :oops:
I'm a huge fan of Gunslinger Girl though, so maybe Recoil will still be down my alley - if it's not too comical or silly.

But dropping Rosario + Vampire?!?! Pure Heresy! :eek:

Well I had hopes for My Stepmom's Daughter is My Ex and Lycoris Recoil, I haven't watched them yet but now I don't know... :oops:
I'm a huge fan of Gunslinger Girl though, so maybe Recoil will still be down my alley - if it's not too comical or silly.
I imagine Lycoris Recoil will be your sort of show. It's played pretty straight despite the odd premise.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer episode 1 Lizard speak.

Prima Doll episode 1 Is the order an Android?

Shadows House 2nd Season episode 1 Letter.

When Will Ayumu Make His Move? episode 1 Shogi senpai.

Gundam Build Fighters episodes 1-18

Last edited:
Skeleton Knight in Another World (English Dub) Episode 11

Teasing Master Takagi-san Season 3 (English Dub) Episode 10

The Dawn of the Witch (English Dub) Episode 11

Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy- (English Dub) Episode 11

Prima Doll Episode 1

When Will Ayumu Make His Move? Episode 1

Yawara! Ep12-14

Shin Cutey Honey OVA3-4

Generally, I appreciate the monster of the week format for Cutey Honey (Re: really felt like they were packing far too much into the suitcase), but Saline/Silene the singer seems like she might have had a bit more mileage in her as a character. Nice nod back to Bubblegum Crisis with the look of the concert though.

Spriggan ep1-2

Despite initial impressions being a bit iffy (the first half hour is very expository), this has actually grown on me. It feels a bit like having Hideo Kojima explain the plot of a Dan Brown novel to you after a particularly hard night on the wine gums, but there’s something rather quaintly charming in its very 1989 hardback thriller view of world politics, married to typical shonen adventure silliness. I’d also be very curious to see the 1998 film now, I believe the second episode covers the same storyline it did.

Back