Your viewing journal

Aion said:
The story is full of what are now common character types

Aion said:
To be fair, it's not exactly shocking when the story was first released back in 1979.

... Now ask yourself "Which came first? My PlayStation RPGs or this series?"

EDIT: Oh and Eden of the East's point is finally clear SIX episodes in, the first five were not important, just setting out the story for the characters, which took far too long.

Bubblegum Crisis 1

Yes.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! :D

(although on the downside, I too am now scared of the live action film.)

Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~: 1-3

Pretty good, if a little too straightforward and, at times, over the top and silly.

A tourist sees an assassination and, because of how well he avoided getting killed, he was captured and brainwashed instead of being killed as a witness. He then gets trained by by the girl he saw kill in a facility in the middle of nowhere, the girl having big eyes, bigger breasts and enjoys wearing miniskirts.

I actually like it because, instead of confusing the viewer by not explaining anything, its focused on the main two characters at the start and very little else. Near to nothing has been revealed about the crime organization who are supposed to be like the "UN of the mafia" but there's plenty of time for that later. It hasn't been jaw dropping but it hasn't bored me thus far, and I'm going to stick with it for awhile.

ayase said:
Bubblegum Crisis 1

Yes.

I have have this waiting on my PC for when I finish exams and I can't wait to see what the fuss is about :]

ayase said:
Bubblegum Crisis 1

Yes.

Disk 1 or OVA 1?

Either way, it's all good. :D

Infact one of my all time 'tickles me the right way' scenes is in Bubblegum Crisis. It's when 2 of the Knight Sabres get the bus to go to a meeting - whilst wearing their Hard suits. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Tasker said:
ayase said:
Bubblegum Crisis 1

Yes.

Disk 1 or OVA 1?

Either way, it's all good. :D
Just the first OVA - I naughtily decided to download. I was looking for the DVD's but in doing so I found a post on... what I think used to be Anime On DVD (it's Mania or something now, covered in ads and takes about three times as long to load) where an AnimEigo source was quoted as saying they do intend to release it on Blu-ray at some point. So I'll be waiting for that with a wad of cash in one hand and a large kitchen knife behind my back in case someone decides it's a good idea to region lock it. It's fansubbed Japanese Blu-ray rips I've downloaded, and they look stunning. I'll save any further comments 'til I've watched it all, but it's looking like it's going to head into the realm of my favourites even after one episode.

Speaking of High Definition, I also watched my Gunbuster Movie Blu-rays for the first time on my new 1080p TV (credit cards are awesome). The detail made me weep sweet tears of joy.

fabricatedlunatic said:
\o/

Once you've watched all 8 episodes I recommend giving this AWO podcast a listen. It's offers an enlightning and often hilarious insight into one of the greatest OVA series evah.

Hehe, Just listened to it, quite funny and I probably agree with most of what they say. Except for - Nene, she's the best character, precisely because even though she's so useless, she tries her hardest and eventually saves the day.

ayase said:
Just the first OVA - I naughtily decided to download. I was looking for the DVD's but in doing so I found a post on... what I think used to be Anime On DVD (it's Mania or something now, covered in ads and takes about three times as long to load) where an AnimEigo source was quoted as saying they do intend to release it on Blu-ray at some point. So I'll be waiting for that with a wad of cash in one hand and a large kitchen knife behind my back in case someone decides it's a good idea to region lock it. It's fansubbed Japanese Blu-ray rips I've downloaded, and they look stunning. I'll save any further comments 'til I've watched it all, but it's looking like it's going to head into the realm of my favourites even after one episode.

Naughty naughty. :p

I hope that they do release it on BluRay, it's one series that I would love to own in HD even if I do already have it on VHS and DVD.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been rewatching Wolf's Rain on and off because I now own the series. I'm trying to go through one disc per day but, because I've already seen it in the past, I don't always do so.

It's a great little series. It's a typical Bones series, with a setting that isn't explained in great detail, but it's saved by a combination of its other elements. The characters receive lots of development (even secondary characters) and most are likeable. Only Kiba lets the side down, him being very much a one dimensional lead. And, in terms of visuals and music, it's wonderful.

It could, and probably should, end a lot sooner, the story including far too much filler-esque material. But, at the end of the day, I can ignore the pacing issues when it has a cast of mature character; now lolis or large breasted airheads transforming it into childish rubbish. Dark and mature = win.

I'll probably get through the remaining four DVDs early next week. Probably.

Watched the new episode of Haruhi with subs and i cant wait for more :D

Also watched K-On! - Episode 8 which sees another new song but you actually see it played instead of just a video like last time :)

Over the past two days i've watched:

One Piece 313-315
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi 1 - This was ok, it felt too rushed though and it mixed up the events as they occur in the manga, but it was still decent enough. I'll probably hold off now and get the first part of the series from up1 or somewhere i can get it cheap.
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 8(aka Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody) - Finally a new episode and it was worth it. That followed the novel well and i have to say each VA did their role well. To those that watched it, keep that whole bit that Kyon said at the end in mind ;p.

Gravion Zwei volumes 2 and 3

Valkyria Chronicles episode 7

K-ON! episode 8

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 episode 1 (Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody)

Hajime NC 20

Probably the worst episode so far. Nothing really happened in the episode - the fighters only got into the ring at the end. I had expected the fight to get going by at least the halfway stage.

Did there need to be a scene showing all the Japanese champions telling Takamura to win? Did all of the gang need to have a cheesy support giving moment with Takamura? Was it really necessary for the national anthems to be played when they weren't (or at least weren't shown) in the previous world title fight?

Etc, etc...

I also didn't like how both parties had stupid costumes on. It seemed more like WWF than a boxing match when they entered the ring.

The art didn't please me, either. It's gotten more ugly as its gone on - the artists have clearly gotten lazy since the series started.

I hope next week is better. The fight is supposed to be one of the best in the series, so I'm hopeful it'll be at least as enteraining as the Miyata fight was earlier on in the series...

Back