Your viewing journal

Fantastic Children 11-21
It's not without flaws but the storytelling remains strong. Please don't let the ending be balls!

His & Her Circumstances 1-3
More sincere emotions in three episodes than cynical guff like Clannad has in its entirity.

Gantz 1-2
Wow, that's some craptacular animation. You truly outdid yourselves with this one, Gonzo! But despite that, these two opening episodes were strangely compelling, leaving me with absolutely no idea of where the show is heading. Even further into the depths of depravity, I hope.

Phantom: 4-7

Phantom is still slow-paced and a little too straightforward, but it's also a very good series. I kind of wish it was 13 episodes and 26 so that the business end of the story didn't take forever to come into focus, the amount of meaningful story advancements being few up to yet, but I'm enjoying the series a lot more than most of the other spring rubbish.

Melody of Oblivion: 1-3

Cool title, nice box set, Geneon title. Those are the three points that persuaded me to pick up the set on eBay ages ago. I now regret spending £20 on a pile of dog ****.

It's awful. I'd say the story was aimed at pre-teens because of how simplistic and stupid it is if not for the perverted elements. The series seems to be a combination of terrible characterization, awful story-telling and a silly amount of hentaiish female characters. The dialogue between the main character and his first 'girlfriend' character was about the stupidly large breasts she has (wonderful early character development), and the battles involve people on bikes chasing after a demon who stands on top of a school bus that has bull legs and horns. It's a lot like Akira, actually.

I tried to sit through the first volume, ending up faling asleep towards the end of the third. It's a seriously a contender for the wirst Geneon title in existence, head to head with Doki. I can't believe Geneon licensed **** like this.

Gankutsuou eps 1-6

I recently imported Funi's rerelease of Gankutsuou. It's my first experience with Gankutsuou and the first disc offers up the first 6 episodes. The first episode had me intrigued but at the end of episode six I'm now hooked. The style is obviously unique and imo quite stunning. I'm enjoying all the interactions between the characters too. The Count being a highlight. I'm not sure where the series is heading but I get the feeling that he's in this for some kind of revenge. I feel that I've hardly seen anything of this so far and that some larger twists are lurking around the corner...

(Also hello this is my first post! I was recommended to join by ilmaestro whilst I also know other members like fabricatedlunatic)

but I get the feeling that he's in this for some kind of revenge

Your a perceptive one, I'll give you that.

Once you're done with the anime and rate it 10/10, if only because of episode 18, then you should really buy a copy of the novel the anime is based on. It's very long at over 1000 pages with small text but it's also far more detailed than the anime. For example, where as Edmond's story gets shown in a five minute flashback in Gankutsuou, his past takes up 300 pages in the novel.

By the way, you know me/was around me elsewhere - I was the paedorapist on EG. It's nice to meet you on AUKN I hope we can be friends!

Aion said:
but I get the feeling that he's in this for some kind of revenge

Your a perceptive one, I'll give you that.

Once you're done with the anime and rate it 10/10, if only because of episode 18, then you should really buy a copy of the novel the anime is based on. It's very long at over 1000 pages with small text but it's also far more detailed than the anime. For example, where as Edmond's story gets shown in a five minute flashback in Gankutsuou, his past takes up 300 pages in the novel.

By the way, you know me/was around me elsewhere - I was the paedorapist on EG. It's nice to meet you on AUKN I hope we can be friends!

I am sort of in two minds about The Count. It's clear he has connections with Albert's family but it's all wrapped up in mystery at the moment. Also this may seem like a really stupid question but is there just one original novel and not a load of novels with the same premise but different execution? Knowing me i'd get confused and buy the wrong one!

Were you Aion elsewhere as well? Cause if so I remember your anime posts. I quite liked reading your opinions as at the time you were mostly watching shows that I wasn't. I wasn't aware of anything else going on so yeah. Consider me looking forward to reading your opinions again!

I think one of my accounts on EG was either Aion or Aionic. I've had a few.

There's just one original novel, yes. The confusing thing about the novel is that there are abridged versions and full versions. The Penguin Classics version, which I own, holds all 1200 or so pages of the story, as well as a lengthy introduction by the translator who attempted to explain the history of the author, Dumas, as well as detailing the origins of the story. There's even a bit at the end with definitions that non-French people might not get.

Dumas was paid by the chapter when he wrote The Count of Monte Cristo, and that's why it goes on for so long. All of the chapters are great but some, such as the one that explained the back-story behind the bandit leader from the first episode, weren't really needed for the story. I believe a lot of the descriptive writing was also cut from the edited versions of the story.

Gankutsuou, despite being excellent in its own way, isn't what you'd call a faithful adaptation. There are parts you'd know of already if you read the book after watching the anime but it goes in a totally different direction towards the end. Edmond in the anime and book are different, their motivations being the same but the logic behind their actions being different. The most obvious differences between the two are that the novel is told with the events in chronological order and the story is told from the perspective of Edmond and not Albert in the novel.

Anyway. It's good that you're watching the anime first because it means you won't hate the anime for being different than the source material. It's ideal to watch the anime first and then switch to the novel.

MercenaryRaiden said:
(Also hello this is my first post! I was recommended to join by ilmaestro whilst I also know other members like fabricatedlunatic)
Welcome! The EG migration continues :)

In a couple of weeks I shall be watching Gankutsuou myself. I have high expectations but I'm also apprehensive because this Aion character has the worst taste in anime of anyone this side of a Naruto fansite. If he's steered me wrong again there's gonna be some large scale deletion going on.

Hi MercenaryRaiden, hope you stick around here :)

fabricatedlunatic said:
In a couple of weeks I shall be watching Gankutsuou myself. I have high expectations but I'm also apprehensive because this Aion character has the worst taste in anime of anyone this side of a Naruto fansite.

This time he's right though, so long as you can live with the blatant liberties taken with the setting and story presentation it's a classic. When I watched it with my other half we both thought the first few episodes were average then by the second disc we got sucked in and couldn't stop watching until the rest was done.

R

Rui said:
This time he's right though, so long as you can live with the blatant liberties taken with the setting and story presentation it's a classic.
I've never read the original novel and, at this point, have no plans to, so I'm unconcerned about any liberties that have been taken. It's probably best this way since I can judge the anime on its own merits.

I've been watching some more Legend of the Galactic Heroes (eps. 8 - 10) and it's getting better and better and I'm really, really enjoying it. The politics, character stories and setting are all incredible and the action sequences are fairly rare but always great :]

Gantz 3-4

Blimey, this show has more crying than a Key anime. I am equally fascinated and repulsed by Gantz and I still have absolutely no idea what to make of it. Superficially it seems to be a dark comedy that attempts to portray humanity in a less than flattering light, but I don't know. Thinking hurts my brain. All I know is that it's utterly compelling even though a lot of the time it looks like ****.

You can't judge my taste when you haven't watched most of what I have. You're prejudged towards anything that's aimed towards the shounen age group, yet you haven't read/watched Claymore or Naruto. And you were actually looking for reasons to dislike Death Note. Because you're the wrong side of 25, you think you should show disdain towards anything not aimed at your age group in order to show maturity, yet all you actually show is immatuity.

...but, when it comes down to it, it's true I like my series with action motivated by emotions, where as you like talking followed by more talking. Our tastes differ too much. Unless the dialogue is well written and I like the characters, I prefer a balance between action and chatter, otherwise I get bored.

The odd thing is that Gankutsuou only has two fight sequences in it. The novel? Zero. Not one sword waving contest, despite Edmond being a master in pretty much every form of combat. Despite being overly long, the novel is hardly what I'd consider to be action packed.

So far, the EG train has gone like this...

God > Fabio > Maes > Ray

It won't save a dead forum but it's amusing how I started EG members coming here.

I'm not angry. I meant to leave a ':p' but couldn't be arsed. I thought it'd be amusing if you went on MAL and deleted me again in response, anyway. :D

To be honest, when it really comes down to it - who really cares what other people like or don't like.

If you like something, then you like it, if you dont, then you dont. :D

Not everybody has the same tastes so it's pretty much certain that some of the things you like, others wont and vise versa. :D

Speaking of which...

Negima - 1-26

Back