Your viewing journal

Ace of Diamond: Act II episode 22 Sawamura continues to improve, hoping it stays that way.

Are you Lost? episode 9 Papa used to say.

Black Clover episode 98 Guess who’s back.

Magical Sempai episode 9 Changing room challenges.

Doctor Who: Delta and the Bannermen A very charming story with some darker moments to offset the quirky storyline. Listened to the commentary for this one and it was good fun with all the contributors on fun form. 3.5/5

Doctor Who: The Happiness Patrol
“Happiness will prevail”. A fun satirical story and a great piece of late 80s Who. 3.5/5

Fairy Tail (English Dub) Episode 320

Are You Lost? Episode 9
Parental advice and survival tips.

Magical Sempai Episode 9
Dressing room mishaps.

YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World Episode 21
Retracing past footsteps and New comrades.

Galaxy Express 999 Episodes 16-26

snapshot_02.03.png

So throughout these episodes I've been contemplating what a real world version of the Galaxy Express 999 would be like, and all I can imagine is an un-refurbished Pacer train that travels the world making stops at exotic locales such as North Korea, wherever is currently being bombed in Syria, the parts of Mexico under the control of drug cartels, the Chernobyl exclusion zone and the part of Antarctica directly underneath the hole in the ozone layer. A journey without any security or medical facilities for which tickets cost so much they're out of reach of anyone but the 1% and people are willing to literally kill each other to obtain them.

All in all, I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite as batsh*t insane as this particular batch of episodes of GE999, which seems to have been the result of someone going "Yeah, sure, whatever" to any ideas that first came into the staff's heads after plying them with depressants, stimulants or a cocktail of the two. So we have an episode about a self-loathing animator living in poverty (surely not written from experience, that one) an episode seemingly inspired by Devo's Jocko Homo, an episode set in Westworld that contains a gunfight standoff that goes on for a full five minutes, one about a door to door egg salesman so bitter over his girlfriend leaving him he turns into a skeleton without any ribs(?) and my personal favourite, an episode about a hollow planet with flying inflatable cows that appears to have nothing resembling a plot whatsoever. Maetel and Tetsuro visit a planet with flying inflatable cows. That's it. That's the story.

snapshot_06.31.png

And you can't possibly watch a whole ten episodes of GE999 without there being at least a couple more in which a beautiful but creepy woman wants Tetsuro to stay with her for ever and ever. Oh, and one in which a creepy robot man wants Tetsuro to stay with him for ever and ever. Nice to see them mixing it up a bit. I think I'm beginning to understand how it was possible to cut this 113 episode series down into a 2 hour film.

There are still some lovely visuals however, particularly in the episode where Maetel shoots the leg off and then leaves at the bottom of a cliff one of two remaining residents of a planet, the other being the now crippled man's bedridden dying father. "Is he dead?" Tetsuro asks. "No," replies Maetel "I wouldn't kill one of only two people left on the planet." Then they board the train and leave. I don't know if the harshness of GE999 seems worse now than it would have then or whether the tonal whiplash is just making me a bit giddy, but it's the visuals and the unremitting bleakness that's keeping me watching.

decrepit.jpg

Thanks GE999, those are the kind of comforting thoughts that keep me going.

Last edited:
Magical Sempai ep 9

Are You Lost? ep 9
Dad-con!

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts ep 9

Dumbbells ep 9
Tournament time.

BEM ep 5
Taking out the trash.

Astra Lost in Space ep 9
The reveal about the characters was easy to spot, but I didn't put it together with the reason for the original trip. And I definitely didn't see that reveal at the end!

Astra Lost in Space episode 9 The twists keep on coming.

Demon Lord, Retry! episode 9 Seeing the light.

How Heavy are the Dumbbells you Lift? episode 9 Not Arnold appears.

Mindhunter Season One episodes 1-3

Cop Craft (English Dub) Episode 6

Cutie Honey Universe (English Dub) Episode 8

Hensuki: Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she's a cutie? (English Dub) Episode 6

Astra Lost in Space Episode 9
The never ending twists and reveals.

Demon Lord, Retry! Episode 9
Seeing in Believing.

How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? Episode 9
Strike a muscular pose. Akemi's facial expressions tho... LoL.

Isekai Cheat Magician Episode 8
This just took an interesting turn.

Cop Craft ep8

I've forgiven this show for a lot of things, but really, I thought this one was poor. After corrupt politicians and a prostitution ring in the last episode, we're now at the level of a saturday morning cartoon with discomforting moe fanservice. And it's a two-parter, gee whiz.

How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift? ep5 (English dub)

At least Dumbbells cheered me up.

Given episode 8 Broken.

If It’s for My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord episode 9 A secret pact.

The Demon Girl Next Door episode 8 Crisis management!

Mindhunter: Season One episodes 4-6

Last edited:
Back