Your viewing journal

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Japanese audio) - Film

It's been 4 years since I last watched a Studio Ghibli film that was new to me, and since then there were only a few that I have yet to watch from the catalogue. Last year I picked up Isao Takahata's The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and finally took the time to check it out. I knew barely anything aside from some bits and pieces about the story and overall it was a very intriguing journey followed by wonderful animation and music. It's over 2 hours but it flows through pretty well.

Angels of Death episode 1 A combination of mystery, suspense and horror. Hopefully this turns out to be good. It's a Video Game adaptation as well so it'll be interesting to see how it translates over.

Chio's School Road episode 1 Very bizarre, I do wonder how they'll keep the zaniness fresh each week.

Harukana Receive episode 1 Beach episode the anime. This looks like good Sports SoL fun. Although the similarities between this and Hanebado may start to pile up with the plot and character tropes.

My Sweet Tyrant episode 14 Had no idea this was two cour, guess I'll persevere and see if it can improve itself. Also Halloween in July? Sounds good to me.

Adventure Time Season 9 episodes 10-14

Adventure Time Season 10 episodes 1-12 Now up to date, a shame to see it all end soon.

Afro Samurai episodes 1-5 (Complete. This is stylish, well animated and has a great soundtrack by RZA. Its story and characters however aren't all that unique, and as such the series makes up for it with the gritty action and how it presents its themes. I enjoyed it because of this and look forward to watching the film sequel.) 3.5/5

DARLING in the FRANXX (Dub) Episode 21

Doreiku The Animation (Dub) Episode 11

Hinamatsuri (Dub) Episode 11

Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits (Dub) Episode 12

Akkun to Kanojo (Sub) Episode 14

Angels of Death (Sub) Episode 1
That was just creepy as hell and that doctors obsession with eyeballs is just disturbing.😨

Chio's School Road (Sub) Episode 1
Surprisingly entertaining and quite funny. The MC reminds me of Yoshiko from Aho-Girl.

Harukana Receive (Sub) Episode 1
Not a bad start. Getting lots of Keijo vibes from this.

Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food from Another World (Sub) Episode 13 - 14

Hinamatsuri - Episodes 1-12 - Watched this over the last week, very much enjoyed it although the last episode felt a little disjointed to me (I guess in some way that's kinda fitting for this show tbh). Now make me a series with just Mao beating the £$%& out of people please lol

Last edited:
Girl's Last Tour episodes 3-5 - Okay since my words were kinda taken out of context when I started watching this I may as well say that I'm really enjoying this. I jokingly called this "Moeblobs of the Apocalypse" because the show is pretty much has the tone of Kino's Journey and Laid-back Camp and since both shows are in my top ten of course I'd like this show. Very promising show so far.
36652844_804541889741933_571209965805502464_n.jpg
Harukana Receive episode 1 - The Manga Time Kirara show of the season. Expect CGDCT

Angels of Death episode 1 - Kaname Asagiri found his way into another edgy show. Jokes aside I've heard good things from a friend who's played the game so this should be interesting.

Orange (6-13) (complete)
This had been on my list since it was simulcast so I've been waiting ages to watch it. I liked this one once it got going. The first episode was really bland and predictable but after that it got a lot better so I suppose the three episode rule applies with this one. 8/10 for me.

With the Spring 2018 anime backlog pretty much sorted (FRANXX is left and that finishes today), I'm going to try and get through my on-disc backlog. Finished some films throughout the past week (the Animerama films and Ghibli's Princess Kaguya) so I'm going to try and make progress on that also.

Assassination Classroom (Japanese audio) - Episodes 5-8
Blue Exorcist (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-5

Note: Regarding Assassination Classroom, I watched episodes 1-3 during simulcast but I put it on-hold as the show went on a break temporarily due to a hostage situation back when it first aired and I couldn't be bothered to catch-up due to lack of legal streams at the time. I did watch episode 4 when Funimation Now started for the UK but the site was so bad I couldn't continue it. So, I have the UK Blu-rays for Season 1 thanks to the Anime Ltd Christmas sale.

Cells at Work episode 1 Maybe the quirkiness of this can fill the Hozuki-shaped void of Saturday viewings.

Darling in the FranXX episode 24 Well that was...disappointing. (Complete. This is a series that started out a bit wobbly but got going and was quite impressive, but towards its last few episodes just didn't quite deliver as I'd wanted.

The ending in particular was a disappointment, with Hiro and Zero Two biting the dust and being reincarnated as well as the VIRM not really being defeated and could return in the future. FranXX feels like a tribute to other series' that many have mentioned, though for me this is kind of a Guilty Crown-esque scenario in terms of wasted potential, the last arc let it down. There were ideas and themes here that could have been fleshed out and a World/society that didn't really get the time of day.

Overall, this wasn't terrible, but didn't quite achieve the greatness it could have. A shame really.) 3.5/5

Music Girls episode 1 Hmm this seems to be very generic in terms of idol girl group anime, I'll give it the three episode rule.

Persona 5 The Animation episode 14 New OP is nice, everything else continues to be competent if unremarkable.

The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar episode 1 Eeeh, I'll see if this lasts three episodes for me. Looks like a basic Isekai harem.

Afro Samurai: Resurrection (Film) A decent follow up that maintains the quality of the series whilst covering some darker themes with seemingly dead individuals being resurrected-hence the title. Once again this was stylish and unique, I recommend it along with the series. 3.5/5

Attack On Titan Season Two (Rewatch) episodes 26-37 (Complete. A very solid season, the plot continues to throw twists and action in whilst having it's quieter moments and character development when necessary.) 4/5

Cells at Work ep1

"Are you at work?" "CELLS". "Is it moe?" "INTERLINKED".

Chio's Road to School ep1

A gag show about a girl who plays too many games and gets into silly situations on her way to school doesn't sound terribly fresh, but it seems to be themed around western games specifically, which is a bit more unusual. It's quite fun, would probably play well in an anime club situation.

My Hero Academia Season 3 (Dub) Episode 12

DARLING in the FRANXX (Sub) Episode 24 (Complete)
Very good final episode. What a series this has been, One of the best shows I've ever seen for a long time and definitely worth the time to sit down and watch. A show that is not to be missed. 10/10

Hello!! Kinmoza! (Sub) Episode 1 - 2 (Blu-ray)

Music Girls (Sub) Episode 1
Not a bad first episode, could have been better.

Planet With (Sub) Episode 1
Different and unique. I don't know why but this reminds me of Azumanga Daioh for some reason.

The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar (Sub) Episode 1

UQ Holder! OVA (Sub) Episode 1 - 3

Girls' Last Tour episodes 6-8
36776267_805332299662892_3531862482081546240_n.jpg36750457_805332236329565_7558813154407350272_n.jpg
Fate/Stay Night episodes 5-6

Darling in the Franxx episode 24 - I guess I'm kinda the odd one out since this show never really bothered me that much. Yes the last few episodes wavered slightly due to sudden Trigger/Gainax influence but as a fan of their shows I appreciated the references and change in direction. I figured that they would go for a Gurren Lagann ending and honestly it was really satisfying to see everything resolved this way. Honestly one of my favourite series so far this year based on my overall enjoyment. 9/10

Back