Your viewing journal

I wouldn’t have been able to stomach it unless I was limited to an episode a week. Seriously wish the franchise wasn’t dug up and reanimated.
Especially considering how many series' could use sequels but will likely never get them.

My Neighbour Totoro (sub)
The next Ghiblicast came out last week, I managed to listen/watch it, but I've only just got round to watching the film again. I was watching for all the little details that were pointing out, so much going on!

The voice acting for the kids were very good although in a switch from Grave of the Fireflies they were played by older people in the Japanese version (with the actress of Mei actually being older than the actress for the older sister Satsuki) and by kids around the right age in the English version (the Fanning sisters). The first English dub of Fireflies used a 60 year old for the little girl! The dad sounded like a bloke reading a script in a studio most of the time though.
Still a great film.
9/10

Steins;Gate 0 ep 10
Seemed quite filler-y apart from the revelation at the end.

Kakuriyo - Bed and Breakfast for Spirits - ep 14
Mostly a flashback episode, but Aoi also manages to get herself into trouble again.

Persona 5 the Animation ep 13
Side quest stuff. Seems to be running out of time to cover the rest of the story properly.

SAOA:GGO ep 12
That fight at the end was crazy. I guessed who Pito was in real life a while ago, but they almost got me worried I was wrong for a moment there.
Overall it was a good fun ride and probably just a little better than most of the series it was spun off from.
8/10

2018-07-03_16.png

2018-07-03_18.png

High School DxD HERO (Japanese audio) - Episodes 7-9

Belladonna of Sadness (film)
what can I say about this one? I'll get the prickly bit out of the way and well it's a slight spoiler, so all of that will be blurry; there is a bit of a feminist message right at the end, the last 30 seconds or so, but maybe that's just aged badly as these days saying whether you're an egalitarian (which I am) or a feminist invites trouble over who is actually talking about equality, but that's just looking too much into a very small part of the film
anyway. I've tried finding the OST on youtube as of writing, some of the downbeat tracks are quite haunting, and really set the scene for much of the conflict the main characters face. the film starts with the most joyful scene and pretty much the only upbeat track in the OST, as the leads often followed throughout the film, Jean and Jeanne, get married, straight after that though, the landlord has some, unreasonable proposal. some of the imagery that follows shows that this is a very mature title, throw some metaphors into that imagery and if I had any skill in art, some of it would certainly look like certain parts of my scrap book. before continuing on the plot, I'll just say, I heard the studio making the film were going bankrupt, and some images and well, most of the film being mainly still images shows that, some poorer quality stills show that they just had to get something to the end of production, but some of the main cast shows the care they had for the project, particularly the Devil and Jeanne. more on the plot without too much spoilers, it's a very dark film, jeanne suffers a lot, her husband jean suffers quite a bit too, but jeanne is the main focus of the plot. she gives the town so many chances, she seems very forgiving considering what side she takes in the plot, apart from one very frightening and dark point in the plot. about half way through it goes through a lot of imagery that I can only explain by saying "it was the 70's" it does come up a few times like that from that point on but it doesn't intrude on scenes that move the plot forward.
I do think suffering is quite a universal thing, I would say that the film is trying to write jeanne like her downfalls are specific to women, like the blurry text earlier I don't really like that idea, but decades ago there was a fear of women getting the sort of power jeanne gets, and in the 70's women, all people were a little more outspoken about what women could do, since then things have changed, it's better not to think of the writers putting forward something specific like that, but as for relating to jeanne's suffering, it's a bit extreme, I can't relate to someone who has so many downfalls so hard, but then again, some of the lines with the devil ring with me. despite what I've said about how jeanne's suffering seems to be written, I am thinking maybe that jeanne is written for women to relate to and the devil for men to relate to.
the only other thing I will say is about the ending - not the very ending. I thought it would end a little more theatrical than that, but I guess that's why I've not been a writer
outstanding film! just keep it away from the chilluns

Clockwork planet 9-12
Nothing made this stand out. Characters are forgettable.

High school DxD hero 10
And so the fighting begins...

Tokyo ghoul:re 12
Better than root a, not as good as the first series.

Black Clover episode 39 More average adventures. At least the OP is still great.

Mr. TONEGAWA Middle Management Blues episode 1 This was alright, will give it a chance to get going.

The Thousand Musketeers episode 1 I barely followed what was happening but it seems entertaining enough. Another for the three episode pile.

Adventure Time Season Five (Rewatch) episodes 17-42

Orange (episode 1)
meh. Predictable so for but it might get better.

Today's Menu for the Emiya Family (episode 1)
I will give this a decent chance I think. It did very little with the characters (so far) but I did enjoy the fact the cooking sequences felt like Restaurant to Another World but went into detail about the process of actually preparing and cooking the food. Also, as I dropped the Fate stuff I've got no real understanding on the characters anyway but see how it goes.

SAOA:GGO ep 12
That fight at the end was crazy. I guessed who Pito was in real life a while ago, but they almost got me worried I was wrong for a moment there.
I also guessed that very earlier on but was disappointed with the fact I was right about it. For me, the main problem with this series was the fact it took like four or five episodes for a single fight - that's DragonBall LENN territory :confused:
Agree it was fun but I say let it end there and I wouldn't recommend it. 6/10 for me.

@HWR Watch Kaiji first!! :mad: Plenty of time before next weeks episode!
I've seen most of it while ago and know the plot fairly well though I do plan on giving it a proper rewatch eventually. I have a big enough backlog to get through before I reach K in my list as well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what annoys me more, someone watching a spin off before the main series or someone watching a show through youtube clips!

@HWR I thought you were better than this! :p

I'm not sure what annoys me more, someone watching a spin off before the main series or someone watching a show through youtube clips!

@HWR I thought you were better than this! :p
When I say I've seen clips I have watched most of Kaiji I just can't say for 100% certain I've seen (or at least can remember) every episode, it was a long time ago before I got MAL and was in my early anime watching days circa late 2014 so for all I know I did watch it all but I can't remember exactly how I did so. I doubt it was from YouTube clips though ;) Probably illegally on the high seas (which I never do now thanks to steaming.)

I remember it being nail biting and tense and that ending..hoo boy.

Megalobox ep13

It was a nice ending, but I couldn't help feeling a slight sense of anti-climax - it seemed to conclude with a polite bow, rather than the all-out GAR fuelled mania I was rather hoping for.

Lupin III: Part 5 ep13

Great to see Fujiko in full flow this week. Certainly makes quite a counterpoint with the boarding school episode of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

So what the heck am I going to show these military folk next to top their enthusiasm for Jormungand and Black Lagoon?? I still need to show them Requiem for the Phantom, Gunslinger Girls, Darker than Black, Ajin, Attack on Titan, Joker Game, ACCA 13, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, Patlabor movies, and maybe...um, Gate? I don't know, lol...

It's not exactly action-packed, but Girls' Last Tour has a meticulously observed post-war era military aesthetic, that it employs in a more grounded, much less fetish-y fashion than the likes of Tanya the Evil or the various 'military-moe' shows from the past few years. Don't think there's a physical release for it yet though, if that's a requirement.

Golden Kamuy (Japanese audio) - Episodes 10-12 (Complete)

And that's pretty much every simulcast backlog completed. There's a few titles left but they're different exceptions (FRANXX doesn't finish until this Saturday and the rest are on-going for this Summer).

Back