Your viewing journal

Seasonal Shows

A Place Further Than the Universe (Episode 1)- The first show I started this season and I'm glad I started with this, because I loved it. I really like the two main leads, and their dream to go to Antarctica despite everyone else ridiculing them. The show looks gorgeous, I love how everything looks. Both the scenery and the animation. The humour is good too, with a lot of background gags. I'm really excited to see more.

Laid-Back Camp (Episode 1)- Wow, this is one comfey show. It's also another gorgeous looking show. I was in awe in how great the scenery and animation was. The sound design was on point too! With things like the crackling of the fire, to the pouring hot water in the cup noodles. I also appreciate things like the characters breath being visible in the cold and the steam from hot drinks and food. This seems like a perfect thing to watch in winter.

Citrus (Episode 1)- This is the only show so far this season that I wasn't immediately grabbed by. I'll see how it goes.

Binge Watching

Cardcaptor Sakura (Episodes 1-5)- This is a show I've wanted to watch for a while. It's one that I've heard so much about, and one most people think of when they think Magical Girl Anime. I never watched this as a kid so I have no nostalgia associated with it, so it'll be interesting going in this as a newcomer who is older than when most people got into it.

Episode 1 was pretty good. It lays the groundwork for the show. Introducing characters, Sakura meeting the mascot character that gives her magical powers, and we even get some action with Sakura capturing her first card.

Episode 2 I liked a bit more, since it got straight to the point more. I love how Sakura's powers doesn't give her the ability to transform, so she has her friend who loves to dress her up make outfits for her to wear.

Episode 3 is my favourite episode so far. One of the things I'm looking forward to in this show is seeing how Sakura uses the cards she has to capture the others. But here she had to rely on her brain and wit to capture this card, since she didn't have anything that would be effective against it.

Episode 4 I'll be honest, I didn't like at all. It was just so boring. Uninteresting monster ( we only just had a water card last episode!), Only thing keeping me into it was Sakura herself. She's so adorable!

Episode 5 was a good episode. Kind of creepy with the panda plush seemingly being alive. I laughed at how she defeated the monster at the end.

Overall I'm really impressed how this show holds up after so many years. If it weren't for the male characters I would've thought this was made in the mid-late 2000's. Sakura herself is adorable, and I love her expressions. Oh! And I like how characters wear different clothes each episode. Too many cartoons have characters wear the exact same clothes through the whole show. If I had known a new CCS series was starting this season, I would've started this sooner. But I'm finally into it and I'm looking forward to watching more!

Overlord-Episodes 8-13 (Complete)

Unlike my attempt to catch up on CCS before Clear Card, I was actually successful in finishing Overlord before Season 2 comes out tomorrow. It being 13 episodes and not 70 certainly helped.

Mitsuboshi Colours-Episode 1

This seems pretty cute, I really like the core concept of these girls going around trying to protect the city in adorable ways.

Mitchiri Neko-Episode 1

If you like 3 minutes of cats doing cat things, this is a must watch.

Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls episode 1

Sailor Moon Crystal: Dark Kingdom Arc
episodes 11-14 (Complete. A solid series that retells the first season without filler but also with a lack of character development that was found in the original series. The animation is a bit off in places but it didn't ruin anything for me. Overall this was an interesting alternative, though not the definitive way to watch the arc by any means-the original is still worth viewing as well.) 3.5/5

Devilman Crybaby
episodes 1-6

Kokkoku ep1

Well that was a strange confection. Somehow I expected it to be more sober in tone and closer to Inuyashiki, but it feels instead like they're trying to repeat the success of Erased, with the magical-realist vibe. Colour me interested, although the girlie shots in the ED seem very out of place.

Devilman Crybaby - Episodes 8 - 10 [Final]

A great show and I've absolutely loved it, deserves the hype it's getting at the moment.

3 more first episodes:

Karakai Juz No Takagi-san
A number of skits in which Takagi constantly teases Nishikata and he fails to do the same back to her. Sweet comedy show.

The Ryuo's Work is Never Done
Yaichi is a Shogi champion at 16 and Ai wants to be his pupil. Some funny moments in this who knew the punishment for cheating in Shogi was so harsh! And some awkward moments (warning: naked loli)

Basilisk: The Ouka Ninja Scrolls
A lot going on in this one, but seems like it will have some cool action. Might be one to binge so I don't forget what happened a week ago.

And an episode 2
A Place Further Than the Universe
Loving this. We get introduced the third member of the party in this episode.
Has funny, uplifting and emotional scenes.

Last edited:
Black Clover episode 14

Overlord II
episode 1

Devilman Crybaby
episodes 7-10 (Complete. This was a very impressive and brutal anime and another great series from Masaaki Yuasa. DC really pushes the boundaries of what a series can do, similarly to how Inuyashiki did last season. The last two episodes in particular are crushing and the overall series is a visceral visual and emotional trip.) 4/5

IMG_1098.JPG
Dat ending tho

Last edited:
A Place Further Than The Universe (episode 2)
I like this. It's quite funny in places in a slice-of-life way (as opposed to outright comedy), and I actually like the concept. Tried Slow Start but I think I might end up dropping that one.

A Place Further Than The Universe (Episode 2)- Another good episode, not as strong as the first but had great moments. The chase scene in particular was fantastic, great sense of motion. Still really enjoying it.

Cardcaptor Sakura (Episodes 6-10)- Wow, this series continues to impress me!

Episode 6- I didn't expect this show to tackle themes such as death, it already mentioned Sakura's mother had died when she was 3 and I thought that would be it. The battle outfit in this episode is my favourite so far. I honestly really like Sakura, she's a lovely person and a nice role model for kids.

Episode 7- The first episode that felt like complete filler. I still enjoyed it though, it had a lot more jokes than the other episodes.

Episode 8- Ah, a rival Cardcaptor. Things are going to get interesting. He's pretty much as you'd expect. A lot more experienced with capturing clow cards, and is condescending to Sakura and her inexperience.

Episode 9- Aw, Sakura is feeling down after being told of by Li, so Tomoyo and Rika try to cheer her up by going to a jewellery shop, and they all pick out a brooch each. Unfortunately one of the brooches turns out to be a clow card. Another thing this show surprises me on is how progressive and mature it seems. It's revealed that Li also has a crush on Yukito, and it plays it completely normal. I love it!
So not only is Li a rival in capturing clow cards, he's also a rival in Sakura's love life.

Episode 10- A sports festival episode. I love Li and Sakura competing for Yukito's affection, and afterward Li was interested in eating lunch with Sakura until he found out Yukito would be there. We finally meet Tomoyo's mother and she happens to know Sakura's father. We get a bit more backstory on Sakura's parents. Obviously a clow card interrupts the festival, but is quickly dealt with.

I'm really enjoying this show, and it continues to surprise and impress me. I didn't expect it to tackle things like death and LGBT. But it handles them very well, and in a way that just seems normal.
The show also continues to look and sound great. I can't wait to watch more!

I've fallen behind with this thread of late. I 'ave bin mostly watching...

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia eps 9–12 (rewatch complete) + ep 12 extended cut + OVA (rewatch) + Japanese commentaries
Finished my rewatch of the show, along with seeing the extended cut of episode 12 for the first time; it adds an extra 60-odd seconds of animation! Also watched the commentary tracks for each episode. Oh, and Momoe Okonogi is Best Girl. Look at this winter outfit!

Akira (umpteenth rewatch)
My annual rewatch of Akira came later than usual last year. I watched Manga's new BD version twice in 2016: once with the Japanese audio and again with the 1988 dub. This time I watched it with the 2001 dub.

Tokyo Marble Chocolate (rewatch)
This is already a Xmas favourite.

Harmony
So, I bought this in AL's Xmas sale knowing that the film would have... issues. And it really does. I think it comes over very stilted overall. Difficult to put my finger on it at the moment. Needs another watch.

Sword of the Stranger
I bought this in AL's Xmas sale as well, as it's instantly great. Lots of action, stunning animation and plenty intrigue in the plot. I've wanted to see this since first watching a trailer for it back in 2014, and it was worth every minute of the wait! This'll get a rewatch pretty quickly.

Haibane Renmei eps 1–3
This is what I'm currently watching. I'm really enjoying it, probably even more than I would've expected to. It's fascinating learning about the workings of the world that creator Yoshitoshi Abe has built, its mythology, and the Haibane's place within it all. The background art in this series is absolutely incredible; I think I could probably be happy watching it just for that, but the characters are immediately appealing, too. It plays like the most unusual slice-of-life you've ever watched.

No 1st or 2nd episodes today so a catch up of 2 from last season.

Inyuashiki Last Hero eps 1-5
Such a contrast between the way the 2 MCs use their new found powers. Hope the inevitable face off is a good one.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: The Washio Sumi Chapter eps 1-3
A prequel to the first season. Everything seems slightly less than the first season and there are a few changes. For a start the change sequence seems more sexualised (so warning: naked loli). Also they have a teacher, rather than fending for themselves and everyone seems to know they're heros rather than it be a secret. No Yuna (or Karin) doesn't help either.

Last edited:
Black Clover-Episode 14

The show itself remains as mediocre as it ever was, but that new OP kicks ass.

Mitchiri Neko-Episode 2

3 more minutes of cute cats. What else could you want?

Cardcaptor Sakura-Episodes 25 and 26

Two episodes that cover stuff that was in the manga, hoorah. The AO stuff is decent, but at least when I see stuff I recognize, I know the plot is actually moving.

Black Butler: Book of Circus-Episodes 1-3

Started on this given I finally have Book of Murder on the way via Madman. I decided to skip Season 2 given it's all non-canon, and thus pretty much a waste of time, but I'm starting to get the impression even watching the filler-heavy first season was also a waste given that the two seemingly most important events (the Madame Red and Curry Competition arcs) are recapped in Book of Circus and done in such a fashion where I think it's working on the assumption you haven't seen Season 1. Regardless, I am enjoying Book of Circus quite a lot. The titular circus makes for a fun setting, especially given Sebastian's antics, and Joker makes for an charismatic addition to the cast. The story hasn't really gone anywhere just yet, but I'm certainly intrigued to see where it ends up.

Last edited:
Back