Your viewing journal

One Piece ep 170 - 171
Dragon Ball Z kai ep 66 - 67
Blade and Soul ep 4 - 6
Anti-Magic Academy The 35th Test Platoon ep 8
Beautiful Bones Sakurako's Investigation ep 8

Witchblade episodes 21-24 (Complete)

Glad that's over, i think from now on i'f i'm tempted to buy any Gonzo shows i need to look up reviews as i end up really liking them or hating them (which has happened with the past 3 Gonzo shows i've watched: Hellsing, Speed Grapher and now Witchblade). The only shows that they've made which i really liked were Rosario + Vampire, Strike Witches and Welcome to the NHK.

YuruYuri (Season 3) Episode 8.

Ooh, I do enjoy a good dialogue free/"silent movie" segment and the one in this episode was no exception. It was interesting to see and not hear the characters, I think they did a pretty good job of portraying the characters through their movements. Ayano's silent Tsundere was a particular highlight. The music also seemed to fit quite well, it does make me think it must be a lot of work to get the music and animation to match up (I think there was something about that in Shirobako, I need to watch that again soon).

The segment with Sakurako and Himawari was also enjoyable. It's interesting that Himawari seems to be a bit "further along" than Sakurako, she may be at least somewhat aware of how she feels and she does seem more willing to acknowledge it. I guess I wouldn't mind more actual progress (which is maybe optimistic) but I'll gladly take this sort of thing in the mean time.

It was also nice to get a bit more time with Chizuru, teaming her up with Kaede worked pretty well. I do like the side characters in this show, although there are maybe too many characters as it is to really make the most of everyone. While Chizuru did get a bit more development, I couldn't help feeling that it might be "wasted" since Chizuru is unlikely to become a main character (though I guess I didn't expect Sakurako and Himawari to get as much time as they have). I do also feel that it could be another case of the show wanting to try and stay light, which is fair enough really but I do think that it could benefit from letting itself do more.

The final segment was another one that felt oddly out of place, it had it's moments but it also felt a bit more aimless than the rest of the episode. Maybe that was deliberate or maybe it's building up to something else for the next episode (similar to what happened the last time they did this).

Overall, it was a very good episode even if the end was a little weaker. I guess that maybe means it doesn't quite top the last episode but I did like that dialogue free bit and there was still some good stuff here.

Is The Order A Rabbit??/Gochumon Wa Usagi Desu Ka?? (Season 2) Episode 7.

It feels kind of odd that this isn't the first Curtain Washing story I've seen, I guess that's what happens when you watch a lot of these kinds of shows. I'm not complaining, it was a fun episode.

The Mark II uniform that Cocoa developed was nice, it's a shame they didn't stick with it (at least for a little while). I think Rize's reaction was the best part though (I guess that's often the case).

I do like all the sisterhood stuff in this show but I sometimes feel that it's a shame they don't have a bit more variety. This episode kind of makes a joke out of the sisterhood aspect (contrasting the slightly more heartfelt goings on from the last couple of episodes) and it's still fun but I think I'd like to see a bit more effort put into other aspects. To be fair, they do have some decent friendship moments and such but I do wonder if maybe the show could benefit from being a bit less "light" at times (in the sense of "light and fluffy", I'm not asking for an episode where Syaro accidentally murders Anko and has to hide the body... although maybe that'd be interesting).

Mr. Osomatsu/Osomatsu-san Episode 8.

I'm sort of middling about this episode, I'm starting to feel that way about the show in general really. I think it's probably a very good comedy and well executed but too much of it just doesn't seem to work so well for me.

The decision to mix up the roles of the characters felt a bit odd, Choromatsu works well as the "straight man" and having others take that role in the stories for this episode seemed to make things a bit weaker than they could have been. It feels like the show isn't really concerned with staying true to it's characters when it can just make a joke instead. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but given my tendency to prefer character driven shows it's probably a significant element in why I tend to have mixed feelings about Osomatsu-san.

It didn't really feel necessary either, the previous Totoko segment partly worked by the fact that the characters were still the same but all have a blind-spot for Totoko. This time they were almost interchangeable, with only a few moments of Karamatsu and Jyushimatsu . Having the brothers all act much the same also meant they needed an outsider to be the straight man and Iyami didn't seem like the best choice (perhaps Chibita might have been a better option, though I don't know how he feels about Totoko). It was nice to get a bit more of Totoko as a character but essentially it was covering the same as what was implied last time rather than really adding much.

Both segments had some decent jokes but without that character connection it just didn't feel as enjoyable as it could have been. Still, I wouldn't discourage people from trying the show if they think they might be interested since I think a lot of my issues are entirely down to my own preferences.

Love, Delusions and Other Chuunibyou-Episodes 4-6

Episode 4: Hooray, the Nibutani episode I wanted. I just hope she isn't a bitch all the time. I liked her before this episode, but her being mean to Dekomori made me really dislike her. Now I want more Kumin! and Dekomori! and Rikka! All the girls in this are super cute and likable and I just want to see way more of them and see them fleshed out a bit more. Still only at episode 4 of the first season, so I'm sure I'll get all of that in due course. Really enjoying the show so far!

Episode 5: Hey, what do you know, exactly what I was asking for. Loved how it shed a little light on Rikka's character by going into her backstory a bit and the focus on her relationship with Yuta. It's obvious from the get go that Yuta is going to end up with Rikka (Unless that doesn't happen of course :p) but this was the first time I actually felt it.

Episode 6: An enjoyable episode but I would have rather have had the episode dedicated to one of the girls rather than Isshiki. Oh well. Also, do I see a beach episode on the horizon?! I think I do! :D

Young Jack Black ep1

Giving our Jack a crown of thorns before we've even reached the ad-break of the first episode seems a little much, but that aside, I quite liked that. Cannot unsee Jack's face as an Ilya Kuvshinov drawing though; those are exactly the proportions he uses.

Baccano! episodes 12-14.

Back in episode 10, well I think it was 10. Miria's dress gets torn and then in the very next scene as if by magic, no tear or damage.

Neglected my simulcasts a little this week so I had a quick catch up (I mean quick, I only missed 2 episodes :p) before the new episodes come out tomorrow

Owarimonogatari-Episode 8
It's surprising how much I've come to adore Ononoki considering I found her quite annoying when she first popped up in Nise. Also, I don't know why, but I really need a gif of Ononoki putting her sock on...

Is The Order a Rabbit??-Episode 7
Not sure if I like the implication that Tippy is machine washed... Also, drunk Chino is the best.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions-Episode 7
Who would have thought the beach episode would turn out to be genuinely sad and touching? Interested on how the next episode will go.

One Piece ep 174 - 176
Dragon Ball Z kai ep 71 - 73
Blade and Soul ep 10 - 13
Legend of Legendary Heroes ep 12 - 13
The Perfect Insider ep 7 - 8
Gintama ep 146 - 147
Ushio and Tora ep 22
Fullmetal Alchemist ep 1 - 2

Back