Your viewing journal

RD was at its best before Rimmer/CB left. It was never quite the same again, even after he'd returned.

Personally, I preferred the first couple of seasons, before the lost RD and ended up in the Starbug.

Also I'll second the call out for Monster. Great anime! :)

Have seen space Dandy. I have a bit of a soft spot for the two ace rimmer episodes.

As for series X the lemons episode stands out.

Lavigne said:
RD was at its best before Rimmer/CB left. It was never quite the same again, even after he'd returned.
Chris Barrie might have come back but Rob Grant didn't. Doug Naylor gets a lot of flak I don't think he quite deserves, but it's hard to deny they worked much better as a writing team than he does alone - I thought Back to Earth was pretty awful and haven't even watched Series X as a result, but might have to give it a go some time.

Rui said:
Funny that Slayers should come up now given tonight's scheduled character battle.
It's going to be a Slayers character I like versus one of my characters, isn't it? Damn it Rui.

ayase said:
Lavigne said:
Chris Barrie might have come back but Rob Grant didn't. Doug Naylor gets a lot of flak I don't think he quite deserves, but it's hard to deny they worked much better as a writing team than he does alone - I thought Back to Earth was pretty awful and haven't even watched Series X as a result, but might have to give it a go some time.

I know what you mean. X is definitely a BIG improvement over back to earth but there are a few gags in there that you get the feeling would have been much more "polished" had both writers still been on board.

ayase said:

That is a VERY good point, and one that to my shame I'd forgotten!

I saw BtE and it was pretty poor. Saw some of X and it was undoubtedly better, but to me it was still RD-lite. :(

They don't make 'em like RD anymore - funnily enough, it's probably one of the only British comedy shows I've ever really enjoyed. I loved what grew out of that era of British TV (see also late 80s Doctor Who in the final few years before it was cancelled)

Durarara!! eps 1-3

Been waiting a year to watch this, pretty good so far. You can deinitely tell it's from the same people who made Baccano! just from the opening :p

DanMachi-Episode 9

It's 9 episodes into a 13 episode series and they're still introducing main characters. If this doesn't get a season 2 the ending will be incredibly rushed. The main villain has barely had any screen time at all and we don't even know anything about her plans apart from that they involve Bell in some way. Seeing the popularity of the show, I think that a season 2 isn't that unlikely, so hopefully they spend the next 3 episodes with Wulf's story and use the last episode to set up a second season where plot happens.

Ninja Slayer-Episode 7

Continues to disappoint. This week, a barely animated fight scene AND a dialogue scene that had no emotional weight despite it's intentions. Jesus Christ.

Gintama--Episodes 73 and 74

After a bit of a break whilst I watched Shiki and Death Note, I've started watching Gintama again. Two good episodes. I thought the zombie episode was particularly funny.

Rui said:
(Pretty sure sexist comments about the issue are entirely due to poor education on the subject and weird macho squeamishness, which is a worldwide phenomenon rather than something Shinto-specific.)

R

I make reaching and impetuous conclusions and connections, that's as close to a "thing" as I have. Although it does seem crazy that a politician in a developed nation like Japan, can make such insane comments in this day and age and come out virtually unscathed with their political career intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
vashdaman said:
Rui said:
(Pretty sure sexist comments about the issue are entirely due to poor education on the subject and weird macho squeamishness, which is a worldwide phenomenon rather than something Shinto-specific.)

R

I make reaching and impetuous conclusions and connections, that's as close to a "thing" as I have. Although it does seem crazy that a politician in a developed nation like Japan, can make such insane comments in this day and age and come out virtually unscathed with their political career intact.

We live in a region where a school thinks telling parents they can't drive to school if they're the wrong gender is going to work, and where the phrase "gay cake" has been making headlines for months as though it's not obviously pathetic. The stupid things that idiots get away with in the developed world beggar belief on a daily basis.

Back on topic:

Fate/stay night UBW 21: This series really isn't working for me at all. However, now Gil is actually doing things and having flashbacks to when he was kicking ass and gratuitously naked, things are looking up. I know the show isn't going to have a satisfactory ending for me but whatever, best episode so far. Gil effortlessly accomplished what I'd been hoping someone would do for weeks now. I love Gil.

Arslan Senki 9: I'm loving Arslan and his band of cool people more and more each week.

R

Rui said:
and where the phrase "gay cake" has been making headlines for months as though it's not obviously pathetic.
Every day I become a little more satisfied with not following mainstream news media wherever possible.

Rui said:
vashdaman said:
Rui said:

R

We live in a region where a school thinks telling parents they can't drive to school if they're the wrong gender is going to work, and where the phrase "gay cake" has been making headlines for months as though it's not obviously pathetic. The stupid things that idiots get away with in the developed world beggar belief on a daily basis.

Back on topic:

Fate/stay night UBW 21: This series really isn't working for me at all. However, now Gil is actually doing things and having flashbacks to when he was kicking ass and gratuitously naked, things are looking up. I know the show isn't going to have a satisfactory ending for me but whatever, best episode so far. Gil effortlessly accomplished what I'd been hoping someone would do for weeks now. I love Gil.

Arslan Senki 9: I'm loving Arslan and his band of cool people more and more each week.

R
In regards to stay night, it is impossible for it to have a satisfying ending as it is like the middle book in a trilogy. Shirou and archer are by far the main focus of UBW UBW only has the conclusion to archer's and caster's character, most of the other character conclusions are in HF sans a few. The anime has turned people wholly un-sympathetic towards the protagonist which means they wont like stay night. The VN is much better as you get all of shirou's inner thoughts which gives you an attraction to him. The anime lets you see him like most of the other characters do- an idiot.

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
and where the phrase "gay cake" has been making headlines for months as though it's not obviously pathetic.
Every day I become a little more satisfied with not following mainstream news media wherever possible.
I'm just surprised they haven't yet contracted it to "Gayke".

Gurren Lagann - Episodes 9 - 17 (Blu-ray)

This show is great fun and I have really enjoyed marathoning it this evening.

Back