Your viewing journal

Orgun said:
Gurren Lagann - Episode 2 (Blu-ray)

ilmaestro said:
Orgun said:
Gurren Lagann - Episode 1 (Blu-ray)

A bit late to the party with this
Eh, it'd be more in line with your usual "year of viewing vs year of production" to be watching this show in about 2025, so I'd say you've moved fairly quickly. :p

You what ?!?!
It was a playful jest based around your regular updates on older shows that you are watching. It wasn't intended to be either confusing or insulting.

Death Note (Dub)-Episodes 25-37 Complete

Episode 25: Well that happened sooner than I expected.

Episode 26: Ah, so the inevitable recap episode happened. At least it only took up half the episode.

Episode 29: Okay, I am really confused. When the hell did they introduce a third notebook? Did I just completely miss that at some point? I thought that Light's Death Note was the one the police had and the one that was given to Mello in exchange for Light's sister. Then Light still has his notebook and gives it to his Dad? So how did the third notebook come into things? I honestly cannot remember it. Was it mentioned or am I crazy? EDIT: Wait, I completely forgot about Rem's notebook that the Task Force got a hold of when she died, meaning they have 2. I read a review that said that the show starts to come apart a bit in the last 10 episodes or so. I REALLY wanted it not be the case but so far I'm in agreement. It feels like a different show or something, it's just not as good. It feels like Psycho Pass 2 did to Psycho Pass. It could have EASILY ended at 26. Maybe have a 27th episode as a sort of epilogue but nope, it keeps going. Kind of a bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
El-Hazard: The Magnificent World Eps 1-5

I really wanted to watch the whole lot in one sitting, but I was far too tired! :D

First time I've seen it in about 10 years, still love it!

Slayers ep3-4

Didn't expect the whole "Lina's power is affected by her period" gambit - don't really know how to feel about that one. I probably wouldn't have thought much about it, were it not for Vivi's rant about Casca being similarly undone in Berserk, but in hindsight, I think her objection was that Casca seemed to be rendered completely useless by it, whereas at least Lina still seems able to fight, just non-magically.

Macross 7 ep7

It's taken me this long to realise that Basara is actually flying his Valkyrie with that guitar. It's like he's playing a flight-sim with the controller from Guitar Hero...

But remember a while ago, some Japanese politician stated that women shouldn't get involved in politics because their menstrual cycle makes them unstable? Maybe he grew up watching Slayers. :|

There does seem to be a lot of this kind of sentiment in Japan though, I think it goes back to some Shinto ideas on it maybe.

Gurren Lagann - Episodes 7 & 8 (Blu-ray)

ilmaestro said:
It was a playful jest based around your regular updates on older shows that you are watching. It wasn't intended to be either confusing or insulting.

Ok, it didn't come across that way, especially given that I watch most mecha/sci-fi shows as they air and that the older anime I watch is usually a rewatch, but no offence taken :D

I was only trying to say something more constructive than "Lina burned a guy, it was funny"... ;___;

Fwiw, I'm enjoying the show a lot and should clearly have watched it years ago.

Slayers is great fun - the humour reminds me of something like Red Dwarf in places; just a massive send up of the genre it's aping. Also, there's the nagging sense that if Sword Art Online had been made in the 90s it probably would have ended up looking like this.

I consistently rated Slayers around a 7/10, but looking back it probably deserves better for the sheer amount of fun moments it had.

I did enjoy the OVAs and movies a lot more than the series. Naga <3. She'd probably give Vash an aneurysm though. They look lovely too, especially the first film.

Might have to give it a go seeing as I'm a massive Red Dwarf fan. They recently announced they are filming RD series xi and xii this autumn. Cant Wait!

Funny that Slayers should come up now given tonight's scheduled character battle.

I never found the Lina getting weaker during her period thing offensive personally. It's a hell of a lot better than the usual "girls are irrational and mean - they must be on the rag, ha ha ha!" style of comedy still frequently employed by writers of hilarious live action material.

(Pretty sure sexist comments about the issue are entirely due to poor education on the subject and weird macho squeamishness, which is a worldwide phenomenon rather than something Shinto-specific.)

Also, Slayers rocks.

R

msgeek said:
Might have to give it a go seeing as I'm a massive Red Dwarf fan. They recently announced they are filming RD series xi and xii this autumn. Cant Wait!

The main cast must be so old now..... No way can they pull it off

animefreak17 said:
msgeek said:

They are getting on a bit. The back to earth specials were crap but series X from a couple of years ago on Dave was filmed in front of a live audience and was actually quite good. (not perfect but definitely a couple of gems in there)... It seemed to me to show that there was definitely potential there.

msgeek said:
animefreak17 said:
msgeek said:

They are getting on a bit. The back to earth specials were crap but series X from a couple of years ago on Dave was filmed in front of a live audience and was actually quite good. (not perfect but definitely a couple of gems in there)... It seemed to me to show that there was definitely potential there.

What the a x season... when was this ...... I guess I should have a look.

By the go watch monster.... greatest anime ever

msgeek said:

If you like RD you should definitely check out Space Dandy too if you haven't already.

I can never decide which of the original RD series is strongest - I have a particular soft spot for the episode with the psychic corkscrew forks though. The episode where they meet the opposite alternate versions of themselves is hilarious too - the sadist Rimmer is terrifying.

Back