Your viewing journal

Love Live! School Idol Project 1-9

I admittedly started watching this series after being bugged by a number of friends, but I'm admittedly torn. I dislike how the performances constantly jump between 2D and CG animation and I'm finding it harder to grow attached to the attached when compared to say, K-ON!.

Joshawott said:

I admittedly started watching this series after being bugged by a number of friends, but I'm admittedly torn. I dislike how the performances constantly jump between 2D and CG animation and I'm finding it harder to grow attached to the attached when compared to say, K-ON!.

To be fair, K-On is a very high bar. Also, K-On only had 5 characters, this has 9, so there is less time for individual development. Also the fact that K-On has about 40 episodes and a movie where Love Live only has 26 :p

Shiki (Dub)-Episodes 7 and 8

I was correct, things are getting better. Episodes 7 and 8 broke the rut that 2-6 was in and the show is getting a lot more interesting.

D-Fragments (English Dub) - Episode 01
Kuroko's Basketball (Japanese Dub) - Episodes 59-66

This is for Kuroko's Basketball with regards to Episodes 63-66 (expect spoilers duh):
The flashback arc for Kuroko was incredible (well it was to me anyway) and it felt like I was watching a movie. It even explains why Kuroko wants to defeat the Generation of Miracles, why his shirt supposedly has the number 11, how he chose Seirin and how everyone in G.O.M. ended up being so OP. Man I can't wait to watch the final match between Seirin and Rakuzen!

Last edited by a moderator:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Joshawott said:

To be fair, K-On is a very high bar. Also, K-On only had 5 characters, this has 9, so there is less time for individual development. Also the fact that K-On has about 40 episodes and a movie where Love Live only has 26 :p
You're right that the size of the cast does put Love Love! at a disadvantage compared to K-ON!, but I'm hoping that the episodes I've yet to watch allow for some more individual development or at least, group bonding outside of μ's business. Sometimes it feels like, outside of the original three, a character becomes one-dimensional once they join μ's.

At least μ's doesn't have as many members as AKB48 though :p.

Joshawott said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Joshawott said:

You're right that the size of the cast does put Love Love! at a disadvantage compared to K-ON!, but I'm hoping that the episodes I've yet to watch allow for some more individual development or at least, group bonding outside of μ's business. Sometimes it feels like, outside of the original three, a character becomes one-dimensional once they join μ's.

At least μ's doesn't have as many members as AKB48 though :p.

IIRC more of that is in S2.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1-3 : While decent enough, I'm still waiting for that moment to make me go "well then...", I mean it all seems pretty predictable thus far. Maybe all the people hyping it to high heaven has left me with unrealistic expectations or maybe it's because I don't really know anything about the genre so nothing feels out of the ordinary to me, if that even makes sense.

Like everyone said episode 3 would be the one that got me, but I saw that coming a mile off and I think I already know what the deal with the witches is, and what they are/were, and I also think that in the next episode Madoka is going to agree to become a magical girl simply so she can use her wish to bring Mami back, why else would she agree to it after what she just saw?. But hey I could be way off on that so who knows...I shall continue none the less as I love the aesthetic (not necessarily the character design) and the music is great.

Buzzkillington said:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1-3 : While decent enough, I'm still waiting for that moment to make me go "well then...", I mean it all seems pretty predictable thus far. Maybe all the people hyping it to high heaven has left me with unrealistic expectations or maybe it's because I don't really know anything about the genre so nothing feels out of the ordinary to me, if that even makes sense.
The real problem you have is that Madoka is already four years old now, and its influence has been keenly and quickly felt across the industry.

ilmaestro said:
Buzzkillington said:
The real problem you have is that Madoka is already four years old now, and its influence has been keenly and quickly felt across the industry.
Yeah I guess that makes sense, sadly I wasn't watching anime 4 years ago so I may have missed the boat on this one. But hey maybe the next episode will leave me speechless...I hope so as I kinda wanna feel the way other people do about this show lol.

Finished Gantz and have maybe 5 episodes left of The Familiar of Zero. The former was good but was good too late in. The latter is meh, I've seen better, I've seen worse.

Durarara!! will be next seeing as I've wanted the bloody thing for like 2 years.

Romeo no Aoi Sora (Romeo's Blue Skies): Ep 1 - 6 (out of 33)

Do85olC.jpg
Romeo no Aoi Sora (Romeo's Blue Skies) is a 1995 TV series directed by Kozo Kusuba (Alps Stories: My Annette) and produced by Nippon Animation. It’s a slice of life drama filled with historical aspects that works to create a beautiful combination that is both a delight to watch as it is a delight to listen to. A part of the World Masterpiece Theater, home to series such as Anne of Green Gables and Heidi, Girl of the Alp (both of which were directed by Isao Takahata), Romeo fits in right with the rest of them as a remarkable animation that tackles themes often not seen in the medium with such delicacy and care.
As with all of the other World Masterpiece Theater releases, Romeo is based off of a book, this one being Die schwarzen Brüder (The Black Brothers). Published in 1941, it tells the story of boys who were sold for money due to poverty that were then sold off to sweep chimneys in the middle of the 19th century.
Ever since I first laid my eyes on this series, I knew that I would fall in love with it, and sure enough 6 episodes in and Romeo has already struck a chord in my heart. From the lovely animation to the beautiful character designs, backed by a wonderful soundtrack and voice cast, both visually and audibly it’s blown me away and left me spellbound.
Yoshiharu Satou (Key Animation on many Ghibli films) is the man responsible for the character designs here, and I have to say that I love the way in which they look and their designs add a lot to the story and my enjoyment. You see, what at first glance seems to be a happy, child friendly story goes into places that others daren’t go. From child slavery to general violence towards young children and poverty stricken families, it’s a show that’s had me crying both tears of sadness and of happiness many times already.
PLOT: Without going into too much detail as I don’t want to spoil this beautiful series, the first episode sets up the premise and introduces you to the cast. The main character, 11 year old Romeo belongs to a close-knit family who’s been effected by the drought. Day in, day out they work hard to earn what little money they can to survive. As the episode goes by you learn of a mysterious man who goes by the name the ‘God of Death’, a man who buys children off of poor families and sells them on for profit where they then live a life of a chimney sweeper. This story, although fiction is based off of what actually happened in that period of history. Romeos father, Roberto (voiced by Ryusuke Oobayashi) doesn’t give in to the man’s demands, but the God of Death doesn’t play by rules and sets fire to the only bit of field Roberto owns, causing them more despair and worse off financially. With his father’s illness worsening, Romeo sells himself in order to help his father and sets off with the violent man to Milan where he hopes to one day return to his family, and his home. He’ll meet and make many friends along the way, and his life won’t be the same ever again, as he ventures off to become an adult.
The show hasn’t pulled any of its punches and has had me both crying and smiling in a way that most shows don’t. It’s earnest and true to itself and tells its beautiful story with tact. The juxtaposition of the beautiful art style, cheery characters, bright colors and grim story creates a series that is well on its way to being an instant favorite of mine already. Capping off at 33 episodes, my journey has just begun, and like Romeo, I feel as if a lot has left to await me.

Suzuka - Episodes 1-10

Enjoying this reasonably enough so far, it's certainly a competent enough harem show with a fairly well-rounded lead male and a good cast of girls to cater to every taste. The sports/athletics angle feels a little tacked on at times, but I suppose It gives a sense of drive to the show beyond the romantic stuff. From what I've seen so far, I like that the guy confesses early and then has to deal with the realities of rejection although it does feel like the pacing is starting to go now as they try and figure out how to keep things rumbling along.

Attack on Titan s1 ep1-4. I decided it was time for me to see what all the fuss was about, and yeah I totally get it now. Sure, the emotional scenes are a bit over the top, but the action is incredible and it has that 'just one more episode' factor to it.

Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture ep7-8. Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit weird to see the Major involved in a romance? I'm not saying she shouldn't have such interests, it just seems like something she never had any real interest in throughout GitS: SAC so it feels odd here. Good story arc in any case.

Re: Romeo no Aoi Sora (Romeo's Blue Skies): Ep 1 - 6 (out of

qaiz said:
where they then live a life of a chimney sweeper.

Ah, okay - now I get the English title in that image. At least it saves me the same disappointment as when I first heard someone talk about 'Shaft anime'.

Lutga said:
Suzuka - Episodes 1-10

Enjoying this reasonably enough so far, it's certainly a competent enough harem show with a fairly well-rounded lead male and a good cast of girls to cater to every taste. The sports/athletics angle feels a little tacked on at times, but I suppose It gives a sense of drive to the show beyond the romantic stuff. From what I've seen so far, I like that the guy confesses early and then has to deal with the realities of rejection although it does feel like the pacing is starting to go now as they try and figure out how to keep things rumbling along.

I can't stand the main guy in that series.... his a total stalker

Re: Romeo no Aoi Sora (Romeo's Blue Skies): Ep 1 - 6 (out of

Professor Irony said:
Ah, okay - now I get the English title in that image. At least it saves me the same disappointment as when I first heard someone talk about 'Shaft anime'.

Haha yes I can see why they opt to use the more English friendly name, Romeo's Blue Skies, but to be fair, The Black Brothers is also the name of the book it's based on. Don't let the name dissuade you, it's really good!

Shiki (Dub)-Episodes 9-14

Things seem to be keep ramping up. I quite enjoy the different spin on Vampires presented here, in that the people who turn retain their personalities. It really creates a moral quandary in weather or not people should kill them or not. I'm also really enjoying the character of Ozaki. Out of the three leads, he's easily my favourite. His metal spiral into borderline madness is done very well and very gradually. Yuuki is decent. He is rather cold and a little unrelatable but I enjoy his scenes of him trying to find out what's happening and he is generally the one who furthers the plot. That was, until he died. I'm very interested to see what happens when he (inevitably) resurrects and if he'll go back to helping the humans or if he'll stay on the side of the vampires. Muroi is just kind of dull and doesn't do much at all. Also, as a side note, Megumi is very fun to watch, I always enjoy her scenes, even if she has minimal bearing to the story on the whole. Still kind of wondering WHY the Vampires wanted to convert the entire village into Vampires.

Back