Winter 2010 Season

Well, I didn't say anime was going down the toilet, (nor am I saying that you're saying I said that :p) just that there's been less that's of interest to me personally in the last couple of years.

The only shows ilmaestro listed that I would definitely buy on DVD are Eden of the East, Tokyo Magnitude, and Darker Than Black. There's a couple of shows I haven't heard of so they are maybes. I had a look at the 2008 list on Wiki and that's even worse.

Off the top of my head 2004/5 brought us Honey & Clover, FMP: The Second Raid, Gun Sword, Samurai Champloo, Paradise Kiss, Gankutsuou, Basilisk, Noein, Beck, Paranoia Agent, Koi Kaze and Fantastic Children. A year or two back and we have Haibane Renmei, Texhnolyze, Full Metal Alchemist, Kino's Journey, Planetes, Scrapped Princess, ROD The TV, Gunslinger Girl, and Stand Alone Complex. Next to nothing from the last couple of years seems as excitng to me as those.

^ This man knows (for the most part) what is good, listen to him. He's more choosy even than me.

Just as an interesting exercise, off Maestro's list I'd buy: Birdy, Shin Mazinger, Eden of the East, Umineko, Darker than Black.

Originality and design are the main issues for me. Schoolkids, or a combination of schoolkids and the supernatural is just becoming total switch off material (Urusei Yatsura did it first and in the most entertaining manner, yawn) and the amount of shows with these themes now is... staggering. If it's not a reality set school story, it's a fantasy tinged school story. Yeah, Haruhi was good. Higurashi was good. But they were both particularly original.

And is it just me, or does So.Ra.No.Wo.To just sound (and look) like K-On in uniform?

Durarara - Will be watching this. Art Style looks interesting and it wins for the mortobike rammed in someone's face alone for that

Dance in the Vampire Bund - Shaft? The one who made Bakemongatari? Definitely watching this.

So Ra No Wo To
- ...no. No. I absolutely detest the art style of Kon. Stupid Moe-Blobs ;-;

Hanamaru Kindergarden - Actually, it looks interesting. It will capture women alone for the cuteness, but it's nice to see things from the little kiddies' perspective. As long as it doesn't tread Kodomo no Jinkan

Nodame Cantibile Finale - Loved both of the series, so will definitely be watching this.

Gag Manga Byori + - ...So is this another Bobobobobo? NEXT!

Qwaser of Stigmata - Okay, a effeminate male who has a cool looking weapon and... draws power from breast milk.

Okay, Nyani, Memorium? WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WATCH THIS? ;-;

Baka to Test to Shoukanju - Considering I just watched the opening that ilmaestro put in his post, I'm even less interested in it

Hidimari Sketch - Another Shaft? Sold.

Harukanaru Toki no Nada De 3 - A sequel? No interest then, but I will check into the originals.

Ookamikakushi - From the same makers of Higurashi/Umineko and Deen isn't handling it? Good god, someone nip me, please. Will be watching it.

Rosie O'Neill's KEWPIE - AOTY. I mean, I really don't know what to say about it. It doesn't exactly look... like an anime.

Omamori Himari - Right, sword-wielding cat spirit? Descended from family known to fight demons. Reeaaaalllly original there. And I bet it won't be executed well either

Ladies Vs Butlers! - You know, I didn't want to judge it harshly. So I watched the trailer. Started off really well and I thought "I might watch this, actually". 30 - 50 seconds in, I wanted to bash my head against the keyboard. Thank you, you wasted 2 minutes and 52 seconds of my life. So I'm guessing the correct name is Ladies Vs. Butler! You know, without the s on the end of Butler.

And aren't maids suppose to be... discreet and have manners. They are anything but maids.

Chu-Bra! - No. No. Why would I want to watch an anime about women choosing their black-lace panties? Since I was so lucky to obtain a girlfriend that doesn't care about her clothing issues, why would I watch an anime to have a 'what if' scenario?

Wieb Survive R - The 'b' look alike is unique. The anime... Not so much.

Kaito Reiyna - By day, I go to school. By night, I pick very carefully and watch my anime. Not to say it's terrible, it actually looks fun. But I'll skip.

Heartcatch Precure - Looks like Sailor Moon and Toei is doing it. I was quite a big fan of SM in my young days, but will I watch this? Nah.

Looks like I'll be watching 5, which are Duararara, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Nodame Cantibile Finale, Hidimari Sketch and OokamiKakushi. The rest can suck my Cactus.

Hanamaru Kindergarden looks good as well as for Qwaser of Stigmata, it just looks like something i might watch :p

and i agree with you on Chu-Bra, that looks slightly poor

ayase said:
What does it matter if they're TV shows, films or OVAs? There was still more better, original anime being produced back then.
My main point was that most of them featured a little in 1988, and are more representative of the late 80s in general. If you look back over the last four or five years, that might be a fairer comparison.

If you're making an OVA, you only have to come up with (and hence the viewer only gets) 60 mins or so (or less) content. If you want to add films, this year has had Summer Wars and Eva 2.0 that I've seen, both have been excellent.

None of those anime were original (that I could think of immediately).

I'm pretty sure all the mech fans who grew up with anime in the 70s think a lot of stuff on that list is very similar to each other, and a bit of a sell out to whatever the fad of that time was. If Haruhi is similar to other high school shows, then Votoms and Patlabor are essentially the same thing.

Gall Force, awesome as it is, is the prototypical moe show. :p

Overall, if I was picking the best ten of the list of shows I made from this year, it might be something like Sengoku Basara, Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen, Cross Game, Eden of the East, Bakemonogatari, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, Kimi ni Todoke, Aoi Bungaku, Kuuchuu Blanco - and if you genuinely don't think that stands up to the other lists of shows that have been mentioned, I think it's a case of your tastes changing, because I don't see how you could objectively argue that they are any less impressive, or any more or less derivative. As for the usual argument against modern moe trends, I'd say Bakemonogatari and Railgun lean on them somewhat, but it's hardly what they're about.

Pinning it down further, Eden of the East, Bakemonogatari, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Aoi Bungaku and Kuuchuu Blanco is a ridiculously worthy handful of shows.

Good call on Aoi Bungaku. I'd forgotten about that one. Kuuchuu Blanco and Souten Kouro somehow flew under my radar, and do look interesting. The rest just isn't for me.

Okay, I will concede that 2009 hasn't been quite so bad. But the question of how many of these shows will be picked up for DVD release in the West, which is really the only way I watch anime, remains to be seen.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Okay, I will concede that 2009 hasn't been quite so bad. But the question of how many of these shows will be picked up for DVD release in the West, which is really the only way I watch anime, remains to be seen.

Pretty much the same here. I may try some bits if they get legal streams, but I have still not got used to watching streams on my computer so usually give up after a few episodes as I like to be able to put a DVD in and just let it run.

Dance In The Vampire Bund is of the most interest to me out of these shows, though there are a few others I would give a go.

Chrono Mizaki said:

Because you and I are different. I'm sure most of what would appeal to you would not appeal to me, and reverse. ;) I go for what seems like it might be humorous and pleasant. Not for whatever is action packed and suspenseful etc etc etc.

Dracos said:
Pretty much the same here. I may try some bits if they get legal streams, but I have still not got used to watching streams on my computer so usually give up after a few episodes as I like to be able to put a DVD in and just let it run.
I have downloaded fansubs but can never find the motivation to watch them via my PC. Also, watching anime I don't own is somehow unsatifying, hence I always prioritize DVDs.

ilmaestro said:
What's wrong with the character designs for BakaTest, btw? A bit too stereotypical?

Yeah, it looked a little too cute and bishoujo-filled at first. I think it could work though. It's the sort of thing I'll pick up and probably thoroughly enjoy without it changing my life in the long run :)

R

Nyani said:
Chrono Mizaki said:

Because you and I are different. I'm sure most of what would appeal to you would not appeal to me, and reverse. ;) I go for what seems like it might be humorous and pleasant. Not for whatever is action packed and suspenseful etc etc etc.

I fail to see how Breast Milk anime is remotely funny, especially when the trailer makes it out to be a dark and serious anime. And I'm surprise a sane person would even consider this, and that's without using the term 'woman'.

Oh well, our taste differs. You like Breast Milk. I like Insanity and Mind-**** animes ;)

-waits for 'Despera' with avid anticipation, because ABe and Chikai J.Konoka are on it, which makes it win-

a "bird" of course LOL

nah seriously i would say tht dance in the vampire bund looks the most intresting for me as i've finnished higurashi recently and looking at the trailor gives me the same kind of blood spurting as elfen lied

i know that, but as far as i'm aware doesn't the bird need to be pregnant or have given birth? if so that boy is going to be pulling some crazy all nighters, even then he'll have to wait 9 months 8)

long term plans i suppose , kinda like hibernation if tht makes sense , maybe he'd have to live on the artificial stuff in the mean time

Back