Winter 2010 Season

ilmaestro said:
The breastmilk aspect is pretty much played straight... er... as it were.
And that's where it fails like it's Soda-can-girl sisterhood.

That nonsence should have been played up to Carry-On levels of nonsence and frankly, should have been treated with the irrelevance of a Monty Python skit.

So.Ra.No.Wo.To. through four eps, if anyone is ignoring this because it's "K-ON! in the army lolz" then you are denying yourself a truly fantastic show. Only thing that comes up to it this season is Durarara!!

I watched the first episode of So Ra No Wo To yesterday. I find in the premise a certain similarity to Haibane Renmei, although differences in personality between the shows' respective protagonists ought to be noted. If news of an R1 DVD licence ever comes into fruition, I shall certainly enquire into this further.

Yes, definitely some Haibane Renmei vibes in the atmosphere of the show, some of the hints that have been dropped about the setting and the history of their world in the later episodes are really intriguing.

Nyani said:
Not sure what you mean by zany. :p I'd presumed it'd be action but with perverted comedy. But then someone said it was dark (not my thing).
Zany makes me think excel saga and puni puni (which aren't my thing) :p

That would be me, as judging from the trailer, it tried to have a 'dark plot'. Then again, I'm not watching an anime that tries to take breast milk so seriously, because if I want genuienly good humour, I'll watch a British Comedy than Japan's dead humour of breast and skirts.

The only anime that made me laugh out loud was Clannad, Summer Wars and TGWLTT.

OT: Durarara is awesome. Ookamikakushi is basically Higurash with wolves and pedo yaoi. I'm reluctant to watch Dance in the Vampire Bund.

I have watched the first couple of episodes of Chu-bra it is a little uncomfortable when you stop to think about what the show is about, but it is actually quite funny.

Done a sort of mini-review video for the new Cobra, partly to recap the original for those who haven't seen it and partly to allay the usual remake fears for those who have.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UPJsP_7XAag&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UPJsP_7XAag&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Also, ilmaestro, I hope you don't mind me using your James Bond line - that's about the best one sentence description of Cobra I've yet seen.

Zin5ki said:
I watched the first episode of So Ra No Wo To yesterday. I find in the premise a certain similarity to Haibane Renmei, although differences in personality between the shows' respective protagonists ought to be noted. If news of an R1 DVD licence ever comes into fruition, I shall certainly enquire into this further.
ilmaestro said:
Yes, definitely some Haibane Renmei vibes in the atmosphere of the show, some of the hints that have been dropped about the setting and the history of their world in the later episodes are really intriguing.
If they wanted me to watch it, they should have thought about that before they appointed a character designer.

Haibane Renmei
so_hai.jpg

So Ra No Wo To

I think it's time for Yukiko Horiguchi to join Itaru Hinoue on my list of "things which are wrong with anime"

Not really sure what's technically wrong with Kanata's design, tbh, apart from how popular it is to rag on the "K-ON! style". If anything, it provides a unique juxtaposition of style and atmosphere.

Prof Irony: Cool vid, very nice Cobra intro and of course I don't mind you using the line. :)

It's cute. If something is meant to be taken seriously, it shouldn't be cute. Higurashi excepted of course; That was the point there, to contrast the cute with the horrific.

I don't really have anything against moe designs (or should that be 'designs which evoke moe'? :p) but... when used in the appropriate context. That is to say, moe shows I don't want to watch anyway. If it actually looks like it might be a good show, but has character designs like that...

WhyGodWhy.jpg

ayase said:
It's cute. If something is meant to be taken seriously, it shouldn't be cute. Higurashi excepted of course; That was the point there, to contrast the cute with the horrific.
Why can the point of this show not be to emphasize tragedy by showing it through the viewpoint of a "cute" young girl?

I don't think that girl is that moe, to be honest. It looks more 2010, but its not exactly K-ON. I can't stand up for the it but that character probably looks fine in the context of the show. She isn't exactly a moeblob and until I see her voice and in action, I wouldn't say no to watching the show. She's nawt Key is all I iz sayin'

If there is one thing disappointing about Sora no Woto, its simply how it seemed to rip off K-On's character designs. And thats considering that this image would be the proper version. Would have looked better that way aswell

ANN have reviewed the first four episodes of SoRaNoWoTo. The impressions are generally positive but the reviewer criticizes the characterizations as overly simplistic/generic. Since they're one of the very few review sources I have faith in, I'll be on the lookout for further impressions before deciding whether or not it's a show I'd be interested in picking up on DVD.

CloudedMinds said:
If there is one thing disappointing about Sora no Woto, its simply how it seemed to rip off K-On's character designs.
That's because it has the same character designer, the aforementioned Yukiko Horiguchi. ;)

Why can the point of this show not be to emphasize tragedy by showing it through the viewpoint of a "cute" young girl?
That can be the point, it will just make it less good.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ANN have reviewed the first four episodes of SoRaNoWoTo. The impressions are generally positive but the reviewer criticizes the characterizations as overly simplistic/generic. Since they're one of the very few review sources I have faith in, I'll be on the lookout for further impressions before deciding whether or not it's a show I'd be interested in picking up on DVD.
It's really not a show you can review after four episodes. They've just been character introductions so far, and there's clearly a much bigger and quite intriguing plot waiting to unfold.

Ah, I need to read the manga then, because I'm enjoying the show but those changes to Tsuchi's character make the manga sound better.

Hmm am I the only one aside from Dracos to peek at Chu-Bra?

Chu-Bra: Seems to be a somewhat educational anime for teen girls really. I've seen other such educational anime (such as the one about first period etc...)
I've watched 4eps so far, 4 is where it really shows the educational/assuring nature as the main focus. Honestly I could've used a club like that... I mean I only recently found out I was wearing 2 cup sizes too small and that it's why I was having major chest pain that they were doing heart scans on me for...

This is what I wrote after one ep:

ilmaestro said:
Have now seen the first episodes of:

Chu-bra!! - er... yeah... it's gonna be kind of hard to defend this series against people who want to attack it, I think. It was amusing in parts, borderline surreal in others, just about OK enough to keep watching, I think.
Now, though, I kind of agree more with what you said. The "real" point of the show has come through better.

That said, it's not fully clear of doubt for me - Kiyono especially seems designed to, uh, "appeal" to people.

Back