why i love anime why do you

I think another reason for my fondness for anime is that most British TV is dull. Don't get me wrong, there is stuff I like, but most of it is just awful reality TV shows (i.e. all reality TV shows), depressing news bulletins, and pointless lifestyle pap. Anime is a good way to escape from such tedium.

Personally not much of a fan of the fictional story telling live action movies/programs of today.

Be it the obscene costs to produces these programs which can cost up to the millions per episode to 100 millions for a movie. I would much prefer watching an episode of ONE PIECE with it 92k budget.

The amount of product placement which inserts its way into American programing and soon to be UK program is very worrying. While it hard for them stick product placement in historical based programing, everything based in the present day is fair game. While product placement does indeed happens occasionally in Anime most of the time they just use something like "somy". As they hadn't bothered to get permission to do a deal to use trademark in the series.

In Live Action media they tend to present the past in a way which we believe it was and not actually what it was like. Good example of this is Gladiator. If you want to look through countless historical changes made, here.

Other things like everyone always having perfect teeth or looks, no matter the century seem a bit tad unrealistic to me. While I am not argue Anime is anyway more historical accurate than live action, most of the time its way more inaccurate. But Anime in it self is fantasy production, you know not take it as a realistic portrayal of the past. While with live action they try to sell it as historical accurate drama even when they are fully of historical inaccuracy.

Characters with disability are rarity in Live action also. Even if character is seen with a disability they tend to be minor characters which are design to feel pity for. While there countless positive and strong characters with various disability thought out Anime/Manga. Just a few example:

Shanks, Crocodile, Zeff and (Now Zoro also) from ONE PIECE
Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist
Guts from Berserk
Tosen from Bleach
Several from Basilisk
Yomi and Mukuro from YuYu Hakusho
Blind Samurai from Ninja Scroll
Shoot McMahon, Gido, Sadaso & Riehlvelt from Hunter x Hunter
Galatea, ilena from Claymore
Princess Hinoto from X
Several from Trigun

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian Wolf said:
I think another reason for my fondness for anime is that most British TV is dull. Don't get me wrong, there is stuff I like, but most of it is just awful reality TV shows (i.e. all reality TV shows), depressing news bulletins, and pointless lifestyle pap. Anime is a good way to escape from such tedium.
i know
1 big brother
2 im a celebrity get me out of here
3 ect

Ian Wolf said:
There are loads of British TV shows that aren't that. Peep Show, Black Books, IT Crowd, Spaced etc

animefreak17 said:
i tell ya what else i hate movies thats ripped off from other series e.g dragonball z
dr who and the darlicks (1960s)
ect
So, you're accusing a movie from the 60's of ripping off a show from the late 80's/early 90's?

Paradox295 said:
Ian Wolf said:
There are loads of British TV shows that aren't that. Peep Show, Black Books, IT Crowd, Spaced etc

I agree with you. Like I said, there is stuff I like, but some of it, for me the vast majority of it, is rubbish. I like all four of those shows you mentioned. Sadly, two are no longer going.

Ian Wolf said:
Paradox295 said:
Ian Wolf said:

I agree with you. Like I said, there is stuff I like, but some of it, for me the vast majority of it, is rubbish. I like all four of those shows you mentioned. Sadly, two are no longer going.
Ahh, yeah. I know what you mean.
Most of the non-anime stuff I watch is American. Other than that, repeats =/

Paradox295 said:
Ian Wolf said:
Paradox295 said:
Ian Wolf said:

Still, when we get it right, we get it very right indeed.

The vast majority of Japanese TV is rubbish too! Just because we're selective and don't have to sit through the dribble to download doesn't mean its a better range of television. The quality stuff remains about the same, and is perhaps just as niche.

Illness in TV?

Walter White in Breaking Bad. Cancer.
Piney on Sons of Anarchy. Some sort of breathing problem.
Abed/Sheldon/Brennan on Community, Big Bang Theory, Bones. Asperger's. Parenthood has that too.
All forms of mental illness in The Sopranos.
Same for Grey's Anatomy.
Lorraine Saracen in Friday Night Lights has dementia.

Most shows cost around $1 - 3 million to produce really. Charlie Sheen et al get more because their shows are huge and they specifically rely on them people. They are the exceptions. I don't know why budget comes into it anyway.

Product Placement is only on some shows. The Sopranos used it for realism, and in general, most shows simply don't have it. The exceptions to the rule are the one struggling to survive on the broadcast nets, and if that means there is a Verizon sticker on top of the phone, I can deal.

Historical inaccuracy is different. Nobody is claiming The Tudors, Borgias, Spartacus or even Rome have any semblance of being true-fact of the time. They are period soap operas for the most part and yet, it doesn't take away the fact it makes for interesting and compelling television (sometimes...). I don't understand why things need to be so by-the-numbers -- if you want education, go read a non-fiction book. This is entertainment. The attractiveness thing is a weird comment to make, cos there are some generally fairly unattractive people in TV by some standards whereas everything is drawn in the latter and is only "ugly" when intentional (Oda plays with that, for instance).

None of these reasons are really saying anything. It's all stretching. You may have forgotten, but its the writing that makes these stories great. The camaraderie that exists between the guys in Sons of Anarchy; the inspired and beautiful relationship of the married Taylor's in middle America in Friday Night Lights; the pain and angst of growing up and becoming an adult in Buffy the Vampire Slayer; the slow destruction of the perfect '60s man in Mad Men as the times begin the change.

These shows, the ones that aren't watched by 20 million people each week, are the ones doing the real work. The ones that make people turn their heads, and dissect and analyse and talk about.

Scripted and unscripted cannot be compared.

*cough*

I've floated around both communities for so long now. TV fans aren't dismissive of anime, so why are anime fans dismissive of TV? Weird. Would have thought both groups just wanted something to entertain them and hopefully make them think.

Paradox295 said:
Ian Wolf said:
Paradox295 said:
Ian Wolf said:

same here

anyway if i dont watch tv i watch funny stuff like
the nastalge critic
draonball z or naruto abridged or gants abridged
bottom live
only fools and horses
documentarys e.g walking with dinosaurs
smbz.
anything i find entertaining on utube really (if its fanmade or not)

(Posts merged by Rui)

Jaymii said:
The vast majority of Japanese TV is rubbish too! Just because we're selective and don't have to sit through the dribble to download doesn't mean its a better range of television. The quality stuff remains about the same, and is perhaps just as niche.

I guess you might be right. In terms of Japanese TV I've only ever seen anime. Having set that, it is the only Japanese TV that is released in the UK that I can think of.

Ian Wolf said:
Jaymii said:

I guess you might be right. In terms of Japanese TV I've only ever seen anime. Having set that, it is the only Japanese TV that is released in the UK that I can think of.

Having been in japan and having seen whats on TV there, I can 100% say that it is so much worse than TV here in the UK. From what I can remember most of Japanese TV consisted of news, strange game shows, dramas with very low budgets and anime.

I love Japanese TV, but then I actually know about the celebrities etc who turn up on it so it feels more relevant. I don't have access to TV normally as I don't consider the TV Licence good value for money. I am exposed to local TV a few times a year when staying with family and nothing has yet convinced me that it's for me.

The last TV show I watched [on DVD] was House, which I had seen an episode of when visiting a friend. I'd thought it was an interesting mystery show at the time and picked it up, but it ended up disappointing me by turning into a typical drama and after a while I stopped collecting it.

There are a few gems which have come from US/UK TV though, and I'll never let go of my Star Trek DVDs/blu-rays. Red Dwarf was one of the few British TV shows which nailed comedy for me too.

No insult intended to those who enjoy UK/US TV; we all have different tastes. I don't watch non-anime movies much either.

R

What happened to House was a travesty, but I never care much for procedurals anyway. It's a broadcast net show, and in anime-speak, that'd make it more comparable to long-running shonens. There's a few glimmers of excellence in them, but mostly the shows get worn down and just keep going for no particular reason. (Lots of people still love Huddy though... :/)

In terms of japanese television the Gaki no tsukai batsu game series is great (comedy) but I'd agree that more generally its just as bad as here.

Having said that, jdramas are not 100% awful and a low budget doesn't necessarily mean low quailty - if you have a decent storyline and good actors (and avoid the prevailing over-dramatic acting and purile plots) then you can still achieve something compelling.

Some anime end up with live action adaptations (sure I read about this elsewhere), which in my experience only serve to highlight why anime is a brilliant medium by comparison (i.e. adaptations are generally best to avoid...watched the first few eps of the Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge live action series, out of sheer boredom...the horror...).

American TV wise (dvds) I thought the Wire and Deadwood were both great series and as for the UK we routinely churn out things like GreenWing which are damn entertaining in their own way. Admit that these are exceptions to the rule.

Jambo said:
Admit that these are exceptions to the rule.
This is the thing, I don't know if they are exceptions anymore. There's always going to be the reality TV/procedural cop shows around but with the emergence of cable networks and HBO getting it's groove back, the good stuff is far more noticeable than the rest.

Jaymii said:
Illness in TV?

Walter White in Breaking Bad. Cancer.
Piney on Sons of Anarchy. Some sort of breathing problem.
Abed/Sheldon/Brennan on Community, Big Bang Theory, Bones. Asperger's. Parenthood has that too.
All forms of mental illness in The Sopranos.
Same for Grey's Anatomy.
Lorraine Saracen in Friday Night Lights has dementia.

Having an illness and having disability aren't the same. While it's possible to overcome some diseases, you have to learn to live with an disability. It still doesn't answer the lack of disabled people portrayal on TV, unless you want to bring some up? The only ones that come to mind are the lead characters from Ironside and maybe Monk?

This is an question open to anyone: Has anyone actual seen anyone with disability appear on TV Talent show? There seems to be a fear of having disabled people on those types of TV shows.

There are plenty of characters in Anime which suffered from illness by the way.

Jaymii said:
Most shows cost around $1 - 3 million to produce really. Charlie Sheen et al get more because their shows are huge and they specifically rely on them people. They are the exceptions. I don't know why budget comes into it anyway.

The higher the budget, the more audience you have to satisfy and in turn making the final product weaker. They often adapt existing great literature to appeals to widest fan base as possible when made into tv/films. Often it's becomes a mere shadow of the material its based simply to be dumb down for the mass audiences they are aiming for.

I always remember they had to spoil the Hitchhiker Guide to to the Galaxy film by sticking a needles romance plot to the film or needless change the voice of Marvin.

$1-3 million an episode is still an obscene budget compared to what Anime series or even shows made in the UK cost to make.

To make close to 500 episode of ONE PIECE it only cost around 50 million Dollar mark. That around a quarter the cost of the big budget Films these days.
:eek:

Jaymii said:
Product Placement is only on some shows. The Sopranos used it for realism, and in general, most shows simply don't have it. The exceptions to the rule are the one struggling to survive on the broadcast nets, and if that means there is a Verizon sticker on top of the phone, I can deal.

Very naive, product placement is a lot more common than you think. Otherwise how do you they can afford to have budgets of 1-3+ million dollar in the first place? Is it too much of a stretch to fill the programs themselves with adverts when the the programs are already squeezed between advertising breaks. You can always skip adverts breaks but with product placement in the programs you are forced to watch them.

America is very money motivated country, where greed is good. If the opportunity to make money on product placement becomes available they will take it.

The next James Bond film alone is set to raise 50 millon dollars alone in product Placements: Here.

Jaymii said:
Historical inaccuracy is different. Nobody is claiming The Tudors, Borgias, Spartacus or even Rome have any semblance of being true-fact of the time. They are period soap operas for the most part and yet, it doesn't take away the fact it makes for interesting and compelling television (sometimes...). I don't understand why things need to be so by-the-numbers -- if you want education, go read a non-fiction book.This is entertainment.

The problem is people base there whole historical knowledge of these films. Once this false misconception takes root in society its very hard for it to disappear. There's been countless ones that have been unmasked over the years on QI. They butcher the past anyway they see fit to make a profit. Theirs something wrong with that morally and wrong for spreading this false knowledge around.

Jaymii said:
The attractiveness thing is a weird comment to make, cos there are some generally fairly unattractive people in TV by some standards whereas everything is drawn in the latter and is only "ugly" when intentional (Oda plays with that, for instance).

The point is they have an too perfect looking cast which over glamorizes over the past. It make fictional setting into a fantasy one, as people wouldn't look nowhere near that good in the past. If you going to delve into the past, make the cast physically look like they are from that period. Instead of having cast which looked like they time traveled from the present day to the past.

Jaymii said:
None of these reasons are really saying anything. It's all stretching. You may have forgotten, but its the writing that makes these stories great. The camaraderie that exists between the guys in Sons of Anarchy; the inspired and beautiful relationship of the married Taylor's in middle America in Friday Night Lights; the pain and angst of growing up and becoming an adult in Buffy the Vampire Slayer; the slow destruction of the perfect '60s man in Mad Men as the times begin the change.

These shows, the ones that aren't watched by 20 million people each week, are the ones doing the real work. The ones that make people turn their heads, and dissect and analyse and talk about.

Scripted and unscripted cannot be compared.

*cough*

I've floated around both communities for so long now. TV fans aren't dismissive of anime, so why are anime fans dismissive of TV? Weird. Would have thought both groups just wanted something to entertain them and hopefully make them think.

The majority of people don't even watch Anime. That why they are less dismissive about Anime. Even when mainstream talk about anime they are often dismissive about it. It always either treated by the mainstreamas as it's for kids only or all adult anime is in the vain of Overfiend.

Both Anime & Live Action both have strong and weak points. But after experiencing both types, for my personality Anime is simply more suited. It amazing how many people dismiss Anime without watch it. At least I have experience both to make my own considered opinion which a lot people don't bother to do.

Back