Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

Re: Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers

Just Passing Through said:
Titan said:
When logging into either my UP1 or UP1 (USA) account I keep getting a warning message at the top of the page saying that I'm accessing my account through a unsecured connection.

Is anyone else getting this message? or is it just me?

Getting it too. Looks like a bug from the upgrade (in the display), as the url is still https.

Sent them an e-mail, looks to be a glitch in the Matrix. Their web admin guy is on it.

That's good to know. Thanks Just Passing Through.

Hi, in peoples experience, how long does an item on "special order only" take to ship/arrive from UP1. Looking to buy the Madoka Movies set from Aniplex and can't seem to find anywhere else to buy it from :/

britguy said:
Hi, in peoples experience, how long does an item on "special order only" take to ship/arrive from UP1. Looking to buy the Madoka Movies set from Aniplex and can't seem to find anywhere else to buy it from :/

It really depends, IIRC, I had two to three special orders from them and two were about 2-3 weeks before they were sent, whilst another one took about nearly 3 months. I think it would be best to just mail them and get an estimate :/

britguy said:
If you're talking about the import version then it's likely never to get to them since TRSI doesn't list it anymore, but if it's the US LE set then it could take anything from a week or longer depending on availability of stock (and since TRSI has stock it's likely to be sent within a week or so).

Play.com is closing down and transferring everything to Rakuten.co.uk. Shame Rakuten costs twice as much for most of the DVDs and Blu-rays I want to buy.

Not really a surprise I suppose - hope this doesn't affect the MVM DOTW though as I ordered them via Play

Lutga said:
Play.com is closing down and transferring everything to Rakuten.co.uk. Shame Rakuten costs twice as much for most of the DVDs and Blu-rays I want to buy.

Not really a surprise I suppose - hope this doesn't affect the MVM DOTW though as I ordered them via Play

You can order from MVM via Rakuten, I got Samurai Champloo Blu-Ray from them but postage is added after where as Play.com it was included in the price.

End of an era. Well, when they went to a marketplace only it was. Shame to see it go as Rakuten (barring a few sellers) have much higher prices. Obviously because of the frequent vouchers / discounts they offer. It doesn't tend to make it very worthwhile barring the odd exception.

I hadn't used Play in years anyway. Didn't it just basically turn into a version of Amazon marketplace (except one where everything was more expensive)?

I used it about a year ago when they had the DVD of Summer Wars for about £4 including postage, but that's the only time I've ever used it.

ayase said:
I hadn't used Play in years anyway. Didn't it just basically turn into a version of Amazon marketplace (except one where everything was more expensive)?
You can blame the scumbags in the government for that when they closed the loophole where tax wasn't charged for items coming in from Jersey if you had an exemption stating that tax had already been charged (if I remember correctly).

Ah yes, I remember. That clever move by our benefactors to support British business that basically killed Play and HMV's online business stone dead, eliminating the home-grown competition to Amazon in one fell swoop.

Still, I'm sure it stimulated the economy (of Luxembourg) and stopped those dastardly tax dodgers (who were saving the odd couple of quid in VAT on DVDs).

Amazon was shipping everything from Jersey as well though, via "Indigo Starfish", so they were on the same playing field then in terms of competition.

Shiroi Hane said:
Amazon was shipping everything from Jersey as well though, via "Indigo Starfish", so they were on the same playing field then in terms of competition.
Only certain items came via indigo starfish, so it didn't affect them that much (it always mentioned if an item came from indigo starfish).

Gave Rakuten a try yesterday for MVM's DOTW and found it awful - couldn't even log into my account after transferring it from Play.com

I don't know if I'm asking this in the right place but how long does it take for Zavvi to dispatch orders? I ordered Kill La Kill Part 1 on the 4th April and they still haven't despatched it yet.

Yukifan said:
I don't know if I'm asking this in the right place but how long does it take for Zavvi to dispatch orders? I ordered Kill La Kill Part 1 on the 4th April and they still haven't despatched it yet.

Odd, it should've been dispatched by now (I've never had an order take less than a few days to be posted). It's possible that they're waiting for more stock.
When I've had general troubles with them before, I've tweeted https://twitter.com/zavvihelp/ and they've been super helpful so I'd recommend asking them about the status of your order.

Dannielle said:
Yukifan said:

Odd, it should've been dispatched by now (I've never had an order take less than a few days to be posted). It's possible that they're waiting for more stock.
When I've had general troubles with them before, I've tweeted https://twitter.com/zavvihelp/ and they've been super helpful so I'd recommend asking them about the status of your order.

Thanks, I've just tweeted them so hopefully that'll sort it.

Has anyone used EyeOnAsia for pre-ordering Blu-Rays?

If so, how are they? I want to pre-order A Lull In the Sea from them, but want to make sure they ship earlier than Amazon normally do.

Elaniel said:
Has anyone used EyeOnAsia for pre-ordering Blu-Rays?

If so, how are they? I want to pre-order A Lull In the Sea from them, but want to make sure they ship earlier than Amazon normally do.

I pre-ordered Garden of Sinners from them and it arrived on release, which I was happy about as it was 22nd December so I could spend Christmas watching it.

I think I'll join you with ordering A Lull In the Sea from them seeing as its £80.74 with the 5% discount for new account holders. (I just use a new email each time I order from them)

Back