Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

Can anyone remember the name of a UK import site... was something like three alliterated words, *ridiculously* expensive but always had stuff on next day delivery from basically before the day of release.

There was DC-DVD who I got the Lain boxset from as my first (legit) import (I can't remember if this was before or after the CCS and Ghibli bootlegs I got from eBay) - they shut down years ago.

Hmm, no, not them. Was something like "Big Bang Beat" (except obviously the words were totally different to the title of a doujin fighting game).

I noticed that a little while ago, but the one or two things I checked it didn't seem to be worth ordering from there if they don't have a means of avoiding/including VAT for you.

Tind said:
Hi there!
Has anyone purchased yet from http://www.anime-on-line.com/ ?

They claim that "Anime-On-Line is part of the MVM Group". Has anyone purchased from them? Are they reliable?

Thank you!

They are definitley realible, they ship very quickly on products which they have easlily availble in stock, I ordered one of there special Deal of the Week series they had at the time which is obviously a reason in itself to get stuff from there, Ordered on a Sunday night and it arrived on a Tuesday morning!.

Be wary of what they may not have in stock though it could take them a while to get back to you if they can get it or not.

Does anyone who orders from rightstuf know how long on average your orders usually take to arrive once you received your shipping confirmation? Because I have made 2 orders with them so far and the first arrived 7 days after the shipping notice but so far for this order it's been 14 days since it was shipped. I was just wondering.

fabricatedlunatic said:
My Right Stuf orders generally take between 10 days and 3 weeks to arrive.

Occasionally a bit longer due to customs at various countries *my last package seemed to go through Germany before coming here* but that about tallies with my experience.

I received my order from anime-on-line.com and I have to say, for my first experience, the shop is a huge disappointment.

I ordered 6 brand new Shakugan no Shana volumes (Vol 1-6), this is what I got:

-4 used volumes that are not shrinkwrapped and actually dirty (Vol 1-2, Vol 5-6)
-2 new shrinkwrapped volumes (Vol 3-4), but Volume 4 was shipped damaged, the dvd holder was broken and the dvd got loose, so the DVD got scratched during shipping

So out of 6 volumes, only Volume 3 is what I wanted and payed for. On top of this, I had to pay 15GBP, but now they have "Complete pack" discontinued for 10GBP.

I wrote them an e-mail, I wonder if they gonna do anything about this, or I have to use my right by law for a full refund.

AOL are usually decent in their service so I'm sure they'll sort something out. I see a lot of comments complaining about lack of shrink-wrap these days. It's bad if the condition of the cases is poor of course, though I don't think there is anything which says new DVDs have to be shrink-wrapped. Broken DVD cases are annoying, but usually broken in transit and not the fault of the supplier.

ayase said:
AOL are usually decent in their service so I'm sure they'll sort something out. I see a lot of comments complaining about lack of shrink-wrap these days. It's bad if the condition of the cases is poor of course, though I don't think there is anything which says new DVDs have to be shrink-wrapped. Broken DVD cases are annoying, but usually broken in transit and not the fault of the supplier.

New DVD has to be shrinkwrapped besides the thing that it is a "mark" that the item is new, it is also a "mark" that proves that the DVD inside is the real DVD and no one swiped it with a bootleg or something. At least for me.

I might had let it slide if the boxes werent dirty at least...I have a feeling that instead of new items, they shipped me the display items that everyone was touching.

Also, when they sell an item that is not shrinkwrapped, they write it next to it's name, but they didn't do this with Shana volumes, so officially they didn't notify me that the marked volumes doesn't have shrinkwrep.

I will come back with the results of what AOL sad about this issue.

I don't think things have to be shrinkwrapped either; maybe in a retail store but for mail order there's no point. Some companies don't shrinkwrap anything, and on the flip side some companies which sell used goods re-shrinkwrap all their stock in the store (this is common in America), so it doesn't prove that something is new.

I don't believe that AOL has a physical shop, so any wear and tear is likely to be from storage in the warehouse or shipping. Hopefully they will get back to you soon and help set things right. On the bright side they are the least likely place of all to swap a disc out for a bootleg, since they are also the manufacturer in this case!

R

Rui said:
I don't think things have to be shrinkwrapped either; maybe in a retail store but for mail order there's no point. Some companies don't shrinkwrap anything, and on the flip side some companies which sell used goods re-shrinkwrap all their stock in the store (this is common in America), so it doesn't prove that something is new.

I don't believe that AOL has a physical shop, so any wear and tear is likely to be from storage in the warehouse or shipping. Hopefully they will get back to you soon and help set things right. On the bright side they are the least likely place of all to swap a disc out for a bootleg, since they are also the manufacturer in this case!

R

Not all stuff in retail stores gets shrinkwrapped. I got a limited edition copy of Ico from Forbidden Planet a few years ago. The artcards were missing. If it had been shrinkwrapped it would not have been an issue (this was a new copy for the record). I have not purchased a video game in a retail store since.

Given my experience with AOL, I'd have to say I'm guessing they'll sort you out. The dirt is likely just due to the ages of the volumes, as they've been technically out of print for some time.

Like has been said previously, not being shrink wrapped isn't actually a sign of an item not being new. Some companies simply don't shrink wrap, and as someone who's used a shrink wrapper before I can confirm it's no big deal to rewrap something either.

Back