Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

ilmaestro said:
Their homes?! Are you sure you're talking about DHL? That stuff should go back to the depot.

Well, anywhere else in the UK, and you'd be correct. But in my backwards little town... [shakes head]

Yup it's all absolutely true. Our local DHL depot is on the other side of town, and has ridiculous opening hours. There's pretty much just a three hour window to catch them.

The DHL couriers in my area tend to leave contact telephone numbers on their delivery slips, as calling to collect items from the couriers' homes has become more reliable than arranging re-delivery.

Crazy but true.

Hey, I would love to live in a town from the 1600s! :p But yes, I think that has more to do with your local... whatever, rather than DHL. If it's really been that bad, though, I assume you've been on to DHL about it, or at least asked that the parcels are returned to the depot if they can't deliver?

HdE said:
CloudedMinds said:
Regarding bootlegs on Amazon, surely you can see a seller rating system like what you do on Ebay right?

It's the usual problem - folks in the know will spot the tell-tale signs, while others will simply cruise right over to the checkout button.

General rule of thumb where Amazon is concerned: If there's no product image, don't go near it.
Yay, I'm quoting a post from over half a year ago!

Sometimes though, people put auctions of their items up on pages of authentic items. Like "Pokémon Emerald", I ordered one from a seller, and when it came, I just had to look at it once before denouncing it as a fake. Luckily, I got a full refund though. Since then, I've avoided third party sellers.

I only own three bootlegs - One of Outlaw Star (Mum ordered it for me not knowing it was a bootleg; I still plan on buying the official release though), the FMA movie (horrible subs xD) and the 3rd Naruto movie. These days, I stick exclusively to Region 2 releases anyway, so I use Play.com (only had a problem once - when they sent me the wrong DVD, but that was quickly resolved), Amazon and The Book Depository (the latter for manga, obviously).

On the odd occasion I use third-party sellers, I won't if the image they use is a stock-image (i.e. not an actual photo, like how big company retailers show the cover artwork).

Ryu Shoji said:

Sometimes though, people put auctions of their items up on pages of authentic items. Like "Pokémon Emerald", I ordered one from a seller, and when it came, I just had to look at it once before denouncing it as a fake. Luckily, I got a full refund though. Since then, I've avoided third party sellers.

On the odd occasion I use third-party sellers, I won't if the image they use is a stock-image (i.e. not an actual photo, like how big company retailers show the cover artwork).
Actualy just check the writen details, studio etc.
If they're correct and they give you a bootleg it's been false advertised so you can demand full refund.
You often have to use a stock image, as a photo of the product without permission is copyright infringemnt. :roll:

ilmaestro said:
Hey, I would love to live in a town from the 1600s! :p

This is an accurate summation.

ilmaestro said:
But yes, I think that has more to do with your local... whatever, rather than DHL. If it's really been that bad, though, I assume you've been on to DHL about it, or at least asked that the parcels are returned to the depot if they can't deliver?

Yup yup. And it's been more trouble than it's worth, to be honest. Even after making polite enquiries and issuing fairly worded complaints (I'm never one to charge in being rude and raising my voice) the standard of service hasn't improved. I think a lot comes down to the individuals concerned, as I said before. I'm by no means the only person to have a problem with them locally.

It's frustrating, annoying and completely unnecessary. If a few local peeps just took some pride in how they did their jobs, it wouldn't be an issue. I think that's honestly what it boils down to.

Sounds like it sucks. :(

Do you at least have nice tea shops and stuff in your village? I quite enjoy holidays in the south for things like that.

Heh! My town sucks on so many levels, it's unbelievable. Trust me on this.

And yes indeed, you can't go more than a few hundred yards without stumbling across a tea shop or other such establishment.

This area is friendly to elderly people and too-rich professionals seeking to escape city life. But to be an otaku here is a slooooow death.

Reaper gI said:
Ryu Shoji said:

Actualy just check the writen details, studio etc.
If they're correct and they give you a bootleg it's been false advertised so you can demand full refund.
You often have to use a stock image, as a photo of the product without permission is copyright infringemnt. :roll:
Amazon Marketplace is the worst for that, as all the information sellers really have to provide is condition, location, how long it will take to arrive, and price. They just put their item onto a page of an authentic item.

I've generally found that bootleggers are easy to spot on Amazon. A few moments perusing their storefront and feedback usually confirms or dispels any doubts I have.

Mind you, I also generally only use the same half dozen sellers. I tend to use sellers again if I have good experiences with them. Never had a bootleg of Amazon yet.

I noticed playusa had died as well - I checked the anime section back in January and they had 6 items listed (5 different anime as there was the dvd and blu-ray of FMP Fumoffu). Went back recently and kept getting messages saying it could not be found (the international link from play.com was taken down some time ago).

I know a lot of good online retailers. Most of which are affiliates to my site.

A couple to note are:

AnimeZ
Keep It Secret and
Tucky's Anime

sites and stores that you order and buy your animes from

heres mine

forbidden planet
hmv
axle music
and im going to order from United Publications

which sites do you usually order from

Back