Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

fabricatedlunatic said:
With Amazon.com you can opt to pay the VAT in advance so that you won't be reamed by Royal Mail charges. Or you could the last time I checked. [/url]

ACK! I didn't realise that!

The order has been taken, and is SUPPOSED to ship today. No dispatch note yet, though. I'll give it another day before I start panicking.

I'm a bit worried that Gundam OO season 3 part 4 is listed as 'available on Dec 7th' on Amazon.com, yet there's already a second habnd copy advertised on Amazon UK.

Hmm...

I just can't believe that NONE of the usual suspects on Amazon UK have season 2 part 3 advertised or in stock. Seems crazy!

HdE said:
ACK! I didn't realise that!

The order has been taken, and is SUPPOSED to ship today. No dispatch note yet, though. I'll give it another day before I start panicking.

I'm a bit worried that Gundam OO season 3 part 4 is listed as 'available on Dec 7th' on Amazon.com, yet there's already a second habnd copy advertised on Amazon UK.

Hmm...

I just can't believe that NONE of the usual suspects on Amazon UK have season 2 part 3 advertised or in stock. Seems crazy!
Blegh, got confused. It is Bandai they are awful at printing enough copies and doing reprints fast enough.
They don't enforce street dates, so second hand might realy be available a week in advance.

Hmm. But it looks as though season 2 part 4 isn't available stateside yet...

I was certainly working to the Dec 7th release date, anyway - I saw that a while back.

Anyhoo - Amazon haven't dispatched yet (and the estimated shipping date is today) so I'll wait and see what happens in the next 24 hours. I'll be MAD if I can't get it, though.

Dracos said:
On another note it looks like my replacement copy of Haruhi season 2 may have gone missing after the first one did. It was re-sent three weeks ago and I have had all my stuff ordered since. I don't want to have to tell Axelmusic it went missing again, I will give it another week or so to turn up. They don't seem to ask too many questions about missing stuff, but as it will be the third time in about three months I have had to tell them about missing packages they may start to get suspicious.
I have to be honest, you should be getting suspicious, never mind them. Clearly a problem with your postman or local sorting office imo if you're having it happen that frequently.

ilmaestro said:
Dracos said:
On another note it looks like my replacement copy of Haruhi season 2 may have gone missing after the first one did. It was re-sent three weeks ago and I have had all my stuff ordered since. I don't want to have to tell Axelmusic it went missing again, I will give it another week or so to turn up. They don't seem to ask too many questions about missing stuff, but as it will be the third time in about three months I have had to tell them about missing packages they may start to get suspicious.
I have to be honest, you should be getting suspicious, never mind them. Clearly a problem with your postman or local sorting office imo if you're having it happen that frequently.

Haruhi turned up today so no worry of having to report it missing. I seem to have a bit of an odd thing with things going missing. I can go for months without any problems then I suddenly have several things disappear in same one or two month period. I used to order so much stuff that got caught for duty or I had to go down to pick up packages so often I have met most of my posties and they seem pretty decent guys. I don't think the packages are going missing at this end I think it is some light fingered baggage handlers or guys at another sorting office hoping to make a couple of $/£ on small stuff they can shove up their shirts.

I just feel a bit sorry for Axelmusic when I have to report things as they have been great with me on replacing damaged or missing items.

Season 2 part 3 - the one I wanted.

As much a s I look for it, I see no indication that season 2 part 4 is officially available yet. I'm checking for that sucka every day. It's gonna be my Xmas anime - hoo boy!

HdE said:
As much a s I look for it, I see no indication that season 2 part 4 is officially available yet. I'm checking for that sucka every day. It's gonna be my Xmas anime - hoo boy!

I'm pretty sure it isn't - I've had it on preorder since the solicitation and it's not showing as on hold for me yet. Bandai don't tend to ship as early as Funimation/Sentai. Sadly the end of 00 will be held up from actually shipping even when it's reserved for me as I put Koihime Musou in the same order -_-

R

SecondSpin / Wherehouse:
Generally, the DVDs they send are in very good condition; sometimes even mint. There is the odd badly scratched disc, and sometimes the wrong case (cheap, tacky black replacement case, instead of clear/white) gets sent, but it's rarer to get unlucky than it is to get lucky. My very first order for Gankutsuou 4 pissed me off due to one side of its reverse cover being ripped -- it's lucky I gave them a second chance!

The best things about them are their packaging and customer service. If what you order is too big for a jiffy, nine times out of ten they'll send in a box, and they don't combine multiple orders to save on postage costs. As for the customer service, all I've ever needed to do is tell them a parcel has gone missing / they sent the incorrect DVD and they either refund or resend, without fuss.

The Book Depository:
Mixed feelings. I always use them because they're consistently the cheapest UK book store, and they stock imports. With the addition of their infrequent 10% off codes, that makes them irresistible. But there are a good number of negatives mixed in with the good...

For starters, they send everything packaged separately. Ordered 20 books? 20 parcels, coming your way! And their dispatch times vary greatly. Lately they've been better about sending within 48-72 working hours, but in the past they took 7+ days to send books they had claimed were in-stock - meaning their 'within 48 hours' estimates cannot be trusted.

The condition of their books can lead to much suffering, too. My first order with them - the Naruto box set - arrived with a nasty knock, and there have been numerous other instances of older stock arriving looking tatty. Over the last few months I haven't needed to complain, and I've ordered a lot, so I may just have been unlucky... but I think it's fair to say they don't store their stock particularly well going on how some newer books have arrived with page yellowing.

HMV:
The best UK anime pre-order store, by far. Even though their post-release prices tend to go high, their pre-release prices are always at least tied with rival stores. But what makes me ALWAYS go with HMV is how fast they send pre-orders - sometimes getting me my DVDs a good week before the official release dates.

Amazon.co.uk:
Unless they get confused over release dates, they always send super-fast, and I often receive my parcel(s) the day after receiving a dispatch email. They package their items well and are happy to post multiple books and whatnot together. And their customer service has always been easy to deal with.

The only downer is that their prices tend not to be lower than TBD for manga or HMV for anime - meaning they don't get too much love from me. I do place all of my manga pre-orders with them due to TBD not allowing for order cancellations and charging as soon as orders are placed, though. Amazon automatically lowering pre-order prices to match-up with their current prices is a nice pre-order incentive.

Axelmusic:
I've only ordered four sets from them, so far, but they've impressed me greatly. Not only are they extremely fast at responding to and sending orders, updates are posted on their site equally fast in order to keep customers in the loop. Their prices are a little on the expensive side due to there being no customs risk with them, but if you want quality service you need look no further.

Rui said:
HdE said:

I'm pretty sure it isn't - I've had it on preorder since the solicitation and it's not showing as on hold for me yet. Bandai don't tend to ship as early as Funimation/Sentai. Sadly the end of 00 will be held up from actually shipping even when it's reserved for me as I put Koihime Musou in the same order -_-

I'm hoping I can nab it via import through Amazon or Play at a cheaper price than ordering from Amazon.com. But rest assured, it WILL be mine! Oh yes! planning to re-watch the series again from episode 1 to go right the way through over Xmas. Hoo boy! Can't wait!

HdE said:
I'm hoping I can nab it via import through Amazon or Play at a cheaper price than ordering from Amazon.com. But rest assured, it WILL be mine! Oh yes! planning to re-watch the series again from episode 1 to go right the way through over Xmas. Hoo boy! Can't wait!

My special edition part 4 is now held for my order, so it should be available to buy from places that ship early.

R

Well blow me down with a feather!

Ordered Gundam 00 season 2 part 4 from Axel. Got an email today to say it's out of stock but placed on order from the supplier. Sweet.

Season 2 part 3 arrived today. And I'm LIVID.

EVERY SINGLE GUNDAM OO SEASON 2 DVD SET I HAVE ORDERED HAS ARRIVED WITH AT LEAST ONE OF THE DISCS HAVING WORKED LOOSE.

This means I have [runs off to check - comes back] FOUR DVDs that have sustained light scratches - and LOTS of them. They seem to play just fine, but I'm not best pleased.

I am convinced this is down to poor quality control as opposed to transit issues. The cases seem to hold the DVDs very firmly otherwise.

I'm serving notice here that I think Bandai's quality control STINKS.

This comes in the same week that I found an inch long, terminal scratch on one of my G-Gundam discs - which had arrived quite securely held in its brick case with the other discs in the box set - damage that was clearly NOT sustained in transit.

I really want to complain to Bandai now in the strongest terms possible.

Eh. MORE postal delivery woes.

Infinite Ryvius arrived today, manhadled by the uber-crap DHL in such a fashion that the brick box was in pieces, with all but one of the discs having worked loose. Three of the suckers have medium to deep scratches on them Gonna be a miracle if these work.

I knew bagging this series was too good to be true.

I've emailed the seller to advise them of the poor condition the discs arrived in - it's not their fault, but they deserved to be told of the shoddy job their courier of choice has done.

Not amused today. Oh no.

Hardly a surprise, is it?

As far as I can recall, EVERY SINGLE ITEM I've had delivered by DHL has come with issues attached - either they've been damaged, or discs have worked loose in transit, or I've been left with a note to say 'We tried to deliver, but you weren't in (read 'I couldn't be bothered to ring your doorbell') - feel free to arrange re-delivery (so we can leave you another note like this) or travel to our courier's home to pick up the parcel THAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DELIVER yourself.'

This is the last straw. I've used a full 10 cycles on my disc repair kit to get the damaged discs playable. In future, I won't be using any online retailer who uses DHL as a courier.

Yes. I ranted there. And I ranted HARD.

And yet I received 3-5 packages a month through DHL and can't remember the last time I had a problem. Funny, eh?

Got the last disc of .hack\\Roots I was waiting on and this week's magazines (quite like the One Piece color spread in Jump) today.

ilmaestro said:
And yet I received 3-5 packages a month through DHL and can't remember the last time I had a problem. Funny, eh?

Yup, sure is.

Bottom line, I think it comes down to the individual couriers themselves. Both of the peeps I've caught at my door delivering for DHL are locals - and having picked up my goods from their homes on NUMEROUS occasions, I gotta say they're not the types I'd trust to be overly respectful of other people's property.

Or, indeed, the types to be overly concerned with delivering anything in a timely manner. I had to collect one item from the courier's home address after it became a week overdue. When I'm told on the courier's doorstep 'Oh, I've had this sitting here for a couple of weeks' I tend to get a little tetchy, as you can imagine.

I'm emailing the sellers I use regularly now, and enquiring as to whether they use DHL as their UK couriers. Those that do aren't getting my business anymore. I'm THAT sick of the service in my area.

Their homes?! Are you sure you're talking about DHL? That stuff should go back to the depot.

And I didn't think City Link even existed any more, lol.

Back