Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

Re: Anime Online Retailers

Arbalest said:
Since this is retailer related, i thought i'd fire this out here. It appears a lot of people i follow on twitter have been hit by card fraud, and they suspect it could be linked to Anime-on-Line. Now i'm not sure it is, but considering they are spotted everywhere over the UK and that's the main link, i thought i'd bring it up here. Apparently O2 are taking £10/15 charges from accounts at first before moving onto larger amounts. I only bring this up in case you've used them recently. It's possible it isn't that site, but i wanted to throw heads up here anyways so you know so you can check to be safe.

Recent card fraud has already been mentioned in 'The General Conversation Area thread' (Zavvi, UP1 and Yesasia are among the sites that have been mention so far).

Aha, i had a feeling it would've been brought up, i just thought a topic would've been made or something instead >.> Many thanks

megalomaniac said:
http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/UK_anime_fans_reporting_credit_and_debit_card_fraud_-_be_vigilant!.html <- Looks like the source of the leak is anime-on-line

If it is AOL this wouldn't have been the first time. You would think they would have learnt from the last time.

I've been checking my latest bank statement and the last (i.e ONLY) time I've used AOL to buy something was in July. I don't have that much money on my card right now so how ****** am I?

AOL has been confirmed to be on those retailers.

So far, nothing has happened to my account...but I have less than £10 in it anyway right now.

Damn, my bank called me on Sat re a suspicious transaction they had declined, they had to cancel my card.

I'm signed up with game/play.com/amazon/hmv/AoL and UP1, so we can count Zavvi out.

Been with UP1 for years with no problems but i've literally only just signed up with AoL.

-edit- Hmm, following that link they are saying AoL is down much earlier than expected for their payment system upgrade. It's a pain but it seems to me that people should consider cancelling their card as I doubt it's possible to warn your bank to be more vigilant.

I ordered something from them for the first time at around 12:45 this morning.

Should I be worried or what?
When did they take the site down?
Should I be looking to cancel my card ASAP as a precaution?

You're probably safe, Mangaranga, though until AOL reveal more it's unclear if it was ongoing. The crook probably performed the attack at a specific time though, and then unleashed everything over the weekend when they had a chance to go through their stolen spoils.

R

Rui said:
You're probably safe, Mangaranga, though until AOL reveal more it's unclear if it was ongoing. The crook probably performed the attack at a specific time though, and then unleashed everything over the weekend when they had a chance to go through their stolen spoils.

R

Thanks I suppose.

Just a bit worried as
a) I have not been a victim of fraud before and do not want to be.
and b) because my friend has been affected by this.

Funny thing is, the only reason I went on AOL was to get Shana for them, (being the deal of the week) as they cannot ATM.

Arbalest said:
Apparently O2 are taking £10/15 charges from accounts at first before moving onto larger amounts.
Monstrous! A nightclub bouncer once extorted such a sum from me just to allow me access in a public place. Never again shall I indulge in nocturnal pleasures aside the occasional walk.

Someone recently said that HMV's Pure Rewards systems was shutting down. Looks like that person may have been right. I logged onto my HMV account today to validate my brother's receipt from the weekend and there wasn't anywhere to do so.

I figured therefore that now would be a good time to use any remaining points (I managed to access the Pure site via the help menu).

mangaman74 said:
Someone recently said that HMV's Pure Rewards systems was shutting down. Looks like that person may have been right. I logged onto my HMV account today to validate my brother's receipt from the weekend and there wasn't anywhere to do so.

I figured therefore that now would be a good time to use any remaining points (I managed to access the Pure site via the help menu).
That was me I think. My older brother who works at their store in the Trocadero was told something to that effect a few months ago.

Might as well spend all my points while I can.

Was browsing the Fandom Post forums earlier and saw this interesting morsel regarding TRSI and Aniplex USA. It seems that TRSI are in fact able to ship Aniplex USA products anywhere but Japan, but have to state North America only on the product pages for legal reasons.

My order for Bakemonogatari went through, so fingers crossed.

After seeing that a number of people in australia vie the madman forums had been receiving aniplex USA orders without any bother I emailed rightstuf a few weeks ago and they got back to me saying as long as you don't live in Japan make the order and it will be processed. So I put a months budget aside for bakemonogatari, I'm really looking forward to watching it over the christmas break.

This is encouraging news - I've hated how international anime fans have been impacted by developments at the start if this year.

Back