Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

What's the best UK site for Region 1 Anime?

Hey everyone. Just wondering if you could all list your favorite UK BASED sites for buying Region 1 Anime DVD/BluRays.

Unfortunately for us in the UK, Anime sometimes doesn't get released here (or it just takes an age to get to us). Because I have a region free player I don't mind buying Region 1 DVDs. I'm just curious if anyone could help me out as in the past year or so I have only been able to find 1 reliable and trusted site. www.otaku.co.uk.

Thanks all!

Roscoe.

Re: What's the best UK site for Region 1 Anime?

Roscoe said:
Hey everyone. Just wondering if you could all list your favorite UK BASED sites for buying Region 1 Anime DVD/BluRays.

Unfortunately for us in the UK, Anime sometimes doesn't get released here (or it just takes an age to get to us). Because I have a region free player I don't mind buying Region 1 DVDs. I'm just curious if anyone could help me out as in the past year or so I have only been able to find 1 reliable and trusted site. http://www.otaku.co.uk.

Thanks all!

Roscoe.

I get the feeling this is posted in the wrong section... anyway.

For me it's UP1, hands down.
Good customer service, items come quickly, (For me usually the day after posting), good range of products (R1/R2/R4), and if they don't have an item on their site, email them and they can try and order it in for you. I did that with the Australian Haruhi BD and the Baka and Test LTD edition a while back and they added them to their site. They also tend to ship items out as soon as they have them in stock, for example I've gotten Clannad After Story, Soul Eater complete and a many other titles up to 3 weeks early.
(They do have a .co.uk site, but their prices are more expensive for some reason. The service is exactly the same no matter which you use though.)

Re: Anime Online Retailers

britguy said:
Hi, regarding up1's USA store, if it says "immediate delivery" does it dispatch from the UK or America??

They dispatch from the UK

Basically speaking you get to buy the items in dollars rather than pounds allowing you to take advantage of the current exchange rate rather than whatever they fixed their conversion rate at when they listed the UK site item.

I assume that getting slightly fewer dollars for their items somehow works out better for them than getting pounds. I saved about £4 on my last order, paid £69.33 would of been about £73.50 from the UK site.

Sainsburys entertainment.

8/10

For new r2 releases they are normally cheaper than Amazon (plus you get nectar points), great customer service, the only thing which marks it down is its slow delivery times (uses TNT post)

But if your not in a hurry than its a good place to buy UK releases without giving money to amazon.

Now this thread has been bumped, I was wondering if anyone knows the best place to buy the Gundam Unicorn blu-rays from? By best, I of course mean cheapest, since on amazon.co.uk they go for between £40-£50 each, which is WAY more money then I can rightfully spend on a single hour of anime. I see the Italian versions on Amazon UK, but they are listed as Italian or Japanese with Italian subs, so I guess that explains why they're so much cheaper.

Any help would be great, and also answer the above question first if you can, it's only polite!

I buy the UK/US version from JP Books, a store in London. It's a lot cheaper than Amazon UK. You can get them to post them to you as well if you can't get to London easily (a bit more expensive, but still cheaper than Amazon!). Last time they were around £32 a pop.

I should really have switched to the Japanese release when they became harder to find but I like the idea of all of my sleeves matching, and encouraging more of this kind of distribution for premium OAVs.

(I'm afraid I have no idea about the DevotedDVD question!)

R

Titan said:
I have a question for anyone here who has used Devoteddvd.

How do you cancel orders with them?

Send an e-mail to

[email protected]

with your order number requesting the cancellation.

Note, the only downside to devoted is that they charge your card on order not on dispatch, so you'll lose some money on currency transaction fees depending on how much your bank charges.

Just Passing Through said:
Titan said:
I have a question for anyone here who has used Devoteddvd.

How do you cancel orders with them?

Send an e-mail to

[email protected]

with your order number requesting the cancellation.

Note, the only downside to devoted is that they charge your card on order not on dispatch, so you'll lose some money on currency transaction fees depending on how much your bank charges.

That's great, thanks Just Passing Through.

ilmaestro said:
You mean... you're not getting the Katoki Hajime slipcovers? D:

I bought the first volume from Beez to show support and then they all had to match or I would cry ;_;

My choice was easier to justify when I saw how much some of those beautiful earlier first presses go for nowadays.

R

animefreak17 said:
https://www.up1.co.uk/Details/Z0259

this thing is free from UP1 its about magazine/newspaper about Japanese culture. i

I have all but one issue (not counting the latest issue). I think I am missing issue 3 which was sold out when I went to order it.

Apart from UP1, Amazon and Right-stuf - are there any other retailers that work like UP1?

I was just looking at ___ but not necessarily sure if there is still a risk of customs. Has anyone used them before?

Those guys seem to be pirates. I'd stay away (removed their name just to spite them so they don't benefit from any accidental exposure!).

http://www.otaku.co.uk work exactly like UP1 and are similarly ancient. I've never had any trouble using them.

You can also avoid customs with Yesasia for R1 DVDs I believe, though their prices for US imports were never competitive when they started selling them so I stopped checking.

R

Good thing I avoided posting the link then, and thanks for the link Rui.

I'll take a look later.

Rui said:
http://www.otaku.co.uk work exactly like UP1 and are similarly ancient. I've never had any trouble using them.

Thanks for the link. I've just used them. :D

Back