Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

How long was Cowboy Bebop Anime Legends even out for before it went OOP? I feel so lucky to have snagged myself a copy.

theirsbailiff said:
Wait a minute. I thought Sunrise got the license for Gundam back, they didn't all of a sudden? And if so, would that mean Beez is pretty much now selling Gundam and Gundam only?

I feel I should clarify:

Bandai own both Sunrise AND Beez. Beez won't be selling anything anymore, I'm pretty certain.

More's the pity.

I ordered Slayers from AOL and I was just wondering; how are they with deliveries because they seem to be taking their time with my order. That or it's the fact I ordered it on a Saturday and they're probably won't bother dispatching it until around this week or next week.

I got an email from AOL this morning saying my order had been processed. Delivery times are listed thusly:

If goods are in stock we normally ship inside 5 working days.
If part of your order is out of stock, we will ship the part that is in and back order out of stocks.

For out of stock UK items - 7 to 10 days
For out of stock USA or European imports - 3 to 4 weeks
For out of stock Japanese imports - 8 to 12 weeks

With AOL's deals of the week, I usually find that they don't process my orders till the Monday at the earliest, but then the order completes and dispatches later in the day.

I seem to remember them processing a couple of my deal of the week orders on a Saturday, but I could be mistaken.

Darn, that UP1 is REALLY expensive. Are there any other shops besides Amazon and UP1 who have the Sentai Infinite Stratos in stock? PlanetAxel has...I mean had...:/

The reason Up1 is more expensive is that by ordering from them there's no chance UK buyers will have to pay import taxes, as they've already been imported into (and are shipped from) the UK. It's probably less expensive for UK buyers to buy from UP1 than to run the risk of import duty and RM "handling fees". With you being in Hungary however, there's probably little advantage to ordering from them. Check out what your local import laws are - it might be cheaper to order US releases direct from the US.

Pretty much spot on; this is why PlanetAxel was so good for us UK buyers, as we avoided customs and RM charges which could sometimes be a bit excessive.

I still don't understand how the price diffenece between PlanetAxel and up1 was so large. Guess that's why the Axel guys went out of business? Up1 does seem a little TOO expensive, but I can't imagien they get a huge amount of orders, so if it keeps them in business I guess it's ok...

There are no customs/tax charges for items under $60 arriving from outside the EU in Hungary. But the limit maybe $100, I'm not sure about the exact number. Ordered under $60 several times from Amazon, but my first RightStuf order will be $94 (Shana II pack), so will find out if that gets any custom charges.

Then I rephrase my question: Does anyone know another reliable US shop (besides Amazon and RightStuf) who has good prices and ships internationally?

Has anyone tried ordering from UP1USA?

You know the UP1's US mirror that you get directed to when you click the (is this item cheaper on our US website?) link. Do you get charged customs, is the item posted from the US or the UK? Stuff like that...

Just Passing Through said:

You know the UP1's US mirror that you get directed to when you click the (is this item cheaper on our US website?) link. Do you get charged customs, is the item posted from the US or the UK? Stuff like that...

Haven't ordered from them yet, but I ask them recently by email about this and got the following answer -

"Goods are shipped and handled by "United Publications" from USA to UK and then from UK warehouse to you. We cover all customs and shipping charges in price quoted on web site."

w00d09 said:

Haven't ordered from them yet, but I ask them recently by email about this and got the following answer -

"Goods are shipped and handled by "United Publications" from USA to UK and then from UK warehouse to you. We cover all customs and shipping charges in price quoted on web site."
Eh? I always presumed ordering from the US site would run the risk of customs, otherwise why would anyone buy from the UK store at higher prices?

ayase said:
w00d09 said:

Eh? I always presumed ordering from the US site would run the risk of customs, otherwise why would anyone buy from the UK store at higher prices?

It's cheaper by a couple of pounds... Not duty and customs cheaper, but fluctuations in exchange rate cheaper. When I went through to P&P it was over $10 until I specified that I was in the UK, at which point it dropped to $2 something, making me think that it's shipped from the UK.

I might place an order next week.

Back