What you guys doing right now.

Well, I woke up at 6:30 as per usge, was on the train for a good 15/20 minutes before I realised I didn't have my wallet. Got off, waited around for another 30 minutes and then decided I won't bother going in to uni today. My life sucks.

(Not as much as Godot's, obv.)

sat listenin to ricky gervais live stand up (there's only so many times a person can listen to audio books without getting tired of the jokes)

checked my bank account, 3,000 will be split into holiday money and then money for just relaxing and doing whatever i want for the next month. man i love payday

Jayme said:

When I stumbled in this morning, eyes bright red, the exams officer was pretty shocked I made it. Anyway after that I went to see the University Helper Teacher/Deputy-Head of Year, to explain I'm going to need some time off next week.

He asked me to prove I was ill. Apparently my eyes and general appearance/inability to breathe/coughing wasn't enough.

Anyway he said- "If you just 'take a week off' I can assure you that you will not be going to University this year - you can kiss that dream goodbye now".

People take weeks off without even phoning in sick - I hand in an A4 page full of medical notes as to why I shouldn't be in and I'm the one dicking around and slouching off?

Godot said:
Jayme said:

When I stumbled in this morning, eyes bright red, the exams officer was pretty shocked I made it. Anyway after that I went to see the University Helper Teacher/Deputy-Head of Year, to explain I'm going to need some time off next week.

He asked me to prove I was ill. Apparently my eyes and general appearance/inability to breathe/coughing wasn't enough.

Anyway he said- "If you just 'take a week off' I can assure you that you will not be going to University this year - you can kiss that dream goodbye now".

People take weeks off without even phoning in sick - I hand in an A4 page full of medical notes as to why I shouldn't be in and I'm the one dicking around and slouching off?

such is life mate, wait until your locked into a job and your sickness is monitered, 3 bouts of sickness in a year and you'll get a warning. Anything short of deaths door isn't enough too.

Get your head down mate, try to sleep off some of it, if you don't feel better by Monday don't worry about what some toff says about "kiss goodbye to uni" just look at me, in high school my maths teacher and my I.T teacher told me I'll never get into college.... I got into the best college in 3 counties, didn't go because I started working. Got into another college and now I'm a certified technician and although I don't work in IT or maths, I don't have to be a college maths student to know they are earning lower than my current pay. So at the end of the day it doesn't matter what they say just prove em wrong!

Godot said:
You already have an official offer from a university you're willing to attend.
Unless he refuses to let you compete the exams you're entitled to sit, he has little power to prevent you from attending higher education.

Zin5ki said:
Godot said:
You already have an official offer from a university you're willing to attend.
Unless he refuses to let you compete the exams you're entitled to sit, he has little power to prevent you from attending higher education.

He says taking a week off will result in me failing all my exams.

Tachi- said:
So at the end of the day it doesn't matter what they say just prove em wrong!

Thanks man :) I'll do my best. 3 days rest is going to be nice. I'm just annoyed because I genuinely did hand in a doctors note regarding my illness.

Godot said:
Tachi- said:
So at the end of the day it doesn't matter what they say just prove em wrong!

Thanks man :) I'll do my best. 3 days rest is going to be nice. I'm just annoyed because I genuinely did hand in a doctors note regarding my illness.

Just use the time off well, revision and rest are a good combo and don't sweat the small stuff like a toff trying to scare monger.

That's just majorly wrong. If those are his exact words, then I'd complain to the educational authorities (or even tell a newspaper) about those 'words of encouragement'.

I assume from how you are on the forums that you're not the type that repeatly skives etc, so to ask for the one-off at such an important time is essential and reasonable. You cant think at you're best at no fault of you're own, you're less motivated and your coughs could distract everyone.
And he has the nerve to tell a student, of which he's responsible to help put a foot into the working world, that their dreams should be stomped into the ground by holding them back a year? Shambolic.

Well, if nout else, I wish you the best in these times. Stick it to that prune, get as well prepared as possible and walk out with your head high.

Would you miss any exams if you were to take the week off?

It should be possible to liaise with relevant teachers in order to ascertain the material you'd have to study in your own time. From what I recall of my school years, no outright examination failures were brought about by short-term illnesses.

Zin5ki said:

It should be possible to liaise with relevant teachers in order to ascertain the material you'd have to study in your own time. From what I recall of my school years, no outright examination failures were brought about by short-term illnesses.
Well, I would say that if it was a simple cold or a dull stomach bug, I'd have no issue with anyone saying that the students should still take the test. A cold would just generally make you feel stuffy (unless you stood out in the rain for days on end.) I did it, and you're right - I wouldn't take time off because I'm not 100% (as I had to deal with stomach aches some time during the exams.)
But to have no sleep, lack of mental and physical well being, eyes buldging red, coughing, breathing heavy... Not only could it be a worst-case scenarios besides physical injury/death, it can be passed to others if sneezed/coughed etc. That is no shape for anything but rest, and it'll certainly wont provide the person's true ability.

I understand the approach to liaise with the teachers etc. In my art exam, my sketchbook work was partly ruined because some idiot in front of me was messing about and knocked the water he used to clean his brushes onto my work. That was something out of my own control, and it was considered into the evaluation of my work.
And that's good for the fact that it proves that there is some backing in the students performance to support poor marks from unfortunate incidents. But isn't that approach only really beneficial if the subject has some sort of coursework to read-off, rather than a subject that requires just the one-shot test on exam day? I doubt the examiners will accept exercise books as a sorce of evidence to compensate for that loss of marks due to unforseekable events.

I'm mainly annoyed at the comments made by the headteacher, rather than how the educational process is done. If I was told that, then I'd give him a right ear-full.

Tachi- said:
Godot said:
Jayme said:

such is life mate, wait until your locked into a job and your sickness is monitered, 3 bouts of sickness in a year and you'll get a warning. Anything short of deaths door isn't enough too.

Get your head down mate, try to sleep off some of it, if you don't feel better by Monday don't worry about what some toff says about "kiss goodbye to uni" just look at me, in high school my maths teacher and my I.T teacher told me I'll never get into college.... I got into the best college in 3 counties, didn't go because I started working. Got into another college and now I'm a certified technician and although I don't work in IT or maths, I don't have to be a college maths student to know they are earning lower than my current pay. So at the end of the day it doesn't matter what they say just prove em wrong!

wow u have a nice boss

in my case, 3 times off sick in a year and it's the sack lol

Chaz said:
I assume from how you are on the forums that you're not the type that repeatly skives etc, so to ask for the one-off at such an important time is essential and reasonable. You cant think at you're best at no fault of you're own, you're less motivated and your coughs could distract everyone.
And he has the nerve to tell a student, of which he's responsible to help put a foot into the working world, that their dreams should be stomped into the ground by holding them back a year? Shambolic.

Well, if nout else, I wish you the best in these times. Stick it to that prune, get as well prepared as possible and walk out with your head high.

I have one of the best, if not the best attendance record in my year. I'm consistently above 95%, and the drop of 5% is usually due to lateness (I have to commute quite a distance and not on a school bus). I never take days off- and I always go in despite illness. The only time I took more than one day off was after an operation, but even then I had made contact with teachers to get work sent home to me.

Oh, not to mention I'd already warned my subject teachers of my situation- and they were more than understanding of it.

Zin5ki said:

I would- however I did tell him that I would still attend the exam despite illness, just as I did today. (And let me assure you, there was a reason people avoided me, made jokes about my appearance, and stared at me today).

Chaz said:
But to have no sleep, lack of mental and physical well being, eyes buldging red, coughing, breathing heavy... Not only could it be a worst-case scenarios besides physical injury/death, it can be passed to others if sneezed/coughed etc. That is no shape for anything but rest, and it'll certainly wont provide the person's true ability.

This is exactly what bothers me - I tried to explain to him that the hearing issues has caused me to lose sleep, the the flu and chest infection has led to my physical wellbeing deteriorating, and that the allergic infection in my eyes has clearly caused me huge discomfort. Frankly, i've been told to rest. Due to lack of sleep at appropriate times, I've had to take a poor quality nap throughout the day today just to keep myself walking.

I hate the education system. I really do.

Ryo Chan said:
Tachi- said:
Godot said:
Jayme said:

wow u have a nice boss

in my case, 3 times off sick in a year and it's the sack lol

The manager of the service is also my mother.... your yet to know hell. tormented for nearly 24hrs a day. firing would be a freedom i'll never truly have.

Currently keeping an eye on the transfer deadline deals - if all the expected deals go through the total spent during the January transfer window could total near £200 million - recession, what recession?

So far today the record signing is Andy Carroll from Newcastle to Liverpool around £35m followed by Luis Suarez going from Ajax to Liverpool for near £23m.

Deals nearing completion include,

Fernando Torres from Liverpool to Chelsea around £50m
David Luiz from Benfica to Chelsea around £21m

Newcastle may spend some of the £35m on a replacement for Carroll but they are running out of time (the transfer window closes at 11pm today).

Currently watching an episode of Have i Got News For You whilst getting a plan of action set out for my dissertation over the weekend. That, and i'm also about to continue with my playthrough of Persona 3 Portable.

Listening to some Jazz, more specifically the Cowboy Bebop theme

and Stu do your revision! The more hours you put into it now the less likely you're gonna be thinking "oh **** I shoulda done this weeks ago!", trust me, I know the outcome of that all too well

Back