What Music are you listening to? Discussions Welcome!

Donut I checked out RE-ANIMATOR by Everything Everything cuz you mentioned it and I was curious to see what it was like - I really could not stand their first album (the one with the fox on the cover) when I listened to it years ago, so I wanted to see if their sound had changed/evolved, and RE-ANIMATOR is so flippin' good I really enjoyed it a lot, I listened on Youtube intially and liked it so much I bought it off iTunes as well. Very Radiohead, but a bit more optimistic XD

Other than that I've been listening to Harry Styles' self-titled 2017 album and Heartbreak Weather by Niall Horan, I honestly really like both, and neither of them really sound much like One Direction. The Harry Styles one particularly impressed me but ye both were good "comfortable silence, is so overrated. Even my phone, misses your call, by the way" :) I also just got Rina Sawayama's album SAWAYAMA off iTunes cuz it was only £5.99 and a quick google search and some song samples made it sound pretty promising, I'm now listening to it and it's awesome I love her style and the music it's just so cool XD "Everyday I wanna start over, cuz I remind me of me".

I'm waking up with a different unexpected song from the past in my head every day at the moment, I feel I've somehow chanelled David Lynch.

TODAY, I WAS THINKING OF SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES AND THEIR NINETEEN EIGHTY-SEVEN COVER OF KRAFTWERK'S SONG, ORIGINALLY RELEASED IN NINETEEN SEVENTY-SEVEN, CALLED "HALL OF MIRRORS"

I have been listening to:

Albums that I'd really recommend:

Plastic Hearts - Miley Cyrus - Very cool album with an awesome roster of guest stars such as Joan Jett, Stevie Nicks, Billy Idol and Dua Lipa, nice mixture of pop and rock tracks, harkens back to past decades of music (70s and 80s) effectively, I'm not a massive fan of her music generally but this is top and shows she's really evolved as an artist.
Doo-Wops & Hooligans - Bruno Mars - Good songwriting and a nice range of moods and styles, favourites include Just the Way You Are, Runaway Baby and Marry You, but there's not a single bad song on here IMO :)

Also purchased:

evermore - Taylor Swift - great songwriting and whatnot but too depressing to be a favourite. Still love Shake It Off tho XD
Melanie C - Melanie C - I really liked some of her other stuff and own a Spice Girls greatest hits album, so I wanted to see what this was like, haven't found the time to listen to the whole thing yet tho but I'll afford her the respect as an artist to make the effort to do so at some point.
Golden - Kylie Minogue - Pretty but again a bit too sad compared to her latest Disco which is more upbeat, I do get that it's a country album and they often aren't super peppy, I think I just need to be in the right mood for it :)
Progress - Take That - Haven't listened to it yet but the writeup intrigued me and it was cheap on iTunes so I took a punt, I'm not a massive fan of the band but the preview samples were cool so again will get round to it soon (I literally just bought it last night lol).

Other songs that have been getting a lot of time with my ears:

Need You Around - Smoking Popes (from the Clueless Soundtrack which is where I know it from)
Kids - Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue - I feel no shame it's a fun song lol
Love Etc. - Pet Shop Boys - I'm not majorly into them but this is a great single
When You Believe - The Prince of Egypt OST - This is beautiful and one of the highlights of the film (I also wanted to download Once Upon a December from Anastasia from iTunes but sadly it's album only).

I've also been listening to the recent jazz playlist (can't remember the exact name of it but it's a current hits/of note kind of thing that's automatically generated I believe) by youtube music and there's a lot of good stuff on there :)

Edit: Oh! I've been obsessed all over again with Little Girl (feat. Julian Casablancas) from the Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse collaboration album Dark Night of the Soul :)

Happened to come back to this on my playlist and remembered how much I absolutely love this song and video. And for perspective, all I know about Pokémon is that it has a Pikachu and a kid wearing a baseball cap, so I can't begin to imagine what an absolute treat this video is for true fans.

Happened to come back to this on my playlist and remembered how much I absolutely love this song and video. And for perspective, all I know about Pokémon is that it has a Pikachu and a kid wearing a baseball cap, so I can't begin to imagine what an absolute treat this video is for true fans.

"and possibly a Ryan Reynolds?" :p

I like Bump of Chicken too, and I was obsessed with collecting Pokemon cards as a child though I never played the games and have not watched masses of the anime (mostly just the first few movies) :)

Out of print anime soundtracks are usually impossible to find, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that Masamichi Amano's epic score for Princess Nine was still floating around on eBay, thanks to two CDs receiving a US release around the same time as the TV series, circa 2005.

The first disc is rarer and more expensive, but I managed to get both. The score really benefits from Amano having composed the OP and ED, since he works those melodies in throughout. The only disappointment is that a couple of my favourite tracks are missing, specifically the vocal version of Friends Forever and the theme for the Wave-Motion Swing from the final episode. Maybe there was another soundtrack volume only released in Japan; I'm not sure.

My stereo separates have been in storage for the best part of the last decade, and I was so eager to hear music off a real CD, through a real amplifier and big speakers again that I just set them up on the floor of my new house, sat in my only chair surrounded by still packed boxes and stuck on The Boatman’s Call. Everything still works perfectly. I have missed that sound.

The new Serj Tankian ep is really good. Very reminiscent of Elect the Dead which was like a system album with more piano.

I’m into prog rock
My fave band is Yes
Best albums are Close To The Edge, Gong For The One & The Ladder
I like Pink Floyd
other non prog rock band I like are Queen but only with Freddie Mercury

I've been listening to Puressence since the mid 90s, and it baffles me that they aren't better known.

@Dai yeah just listened to Near Distance, really beautiful, but I've never really heard of them before so I understand what you mean, agree they should be better known.

Back