Even If The Sword Saint is Boring He's Still the Strongest ch 55 - 56

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 93

Houkago no Goumon ch 99 - 100

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 201

Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World ch 51

Special training in the Secret Dungeon ch 57 - 59

Tsugumomo ch 142

Wise Man's Granchild ch 63 - 64

At long last the final (4th) volume of The Vampire and his Pleasant Companions by Marimo Ragawa and Narise Konohara (Yen Press). Such an entertaining (and pleasingly different) vampire series. Recommended!

The Night Through the Tricornered Window #9 by Tomoko Yamashita digital-only from SuBLime. If you're following the anime, you might want to wait before reading this, the penultimate volume. I couldn't wait. But I suspect that the anime will finish before Volume 10 appears from SuBLime. Highly recommended.

Read X-Day volume 1 last night.
A bit of an older series but I love older series, so that's no issue to me. The art style has a kind of light gothic feeling to it.
Picked it up on a whim because it was under £3 and the plot was really intriguing. The plot involves some students that meet in a chat room, and decide to make a plan to blow their school up. It's kinda overdramatic but it really deals with teenage issues well, that time in your life when everything seems permanent and huge, it feels quite realistic. There's also a teacher involved in the plot so it's not only teenagers, he has his own issues.
As someone who normally ONLY reads fluffy lighthearted stuff, I really enjoyed this and I'm so glad I caved and bought it on a whim. It was on the darker side but not excessively edgy and very human too, really made you feel invested in the characters and their struggles. Would recommend as long as you aren't sensitive to topics like school shootings (they don't plan to harm anyone, but it has the same kind of feeling) and don't mind darker topics in general.

Got to get volume 2 now! It's only a 2 volume series I believe.

Read X-Day volume 1 last night.
A bit of an older series but I love older series, so that's no issue to me. The art style has a kind of light gothic feeling to it.
Picked it up on a whim because it was under £3 and the plot was really intriguing. The plot involves some students that meet in a chat room, and decide to make a plan to blow their school up. It's kinda overdramatic but it really deals with teenage issues well, that time in your life when everything seems permanent and huge, it feels quite realistic. There's also a teacher involved in the plot so it's not only teenagers, he has his own issues.
As someone who normally ONLY reads fluffy lighthearted stuff, I really enjoyed this and I'm so glad I caved and bought it on a whim. It was on the darker side but not excessively edgy and very human too, really made you feel invested in the characters and their struggles. Would recommend as long as you aren't sensitive to topics like school shootings (they don't plan to harm anyone, but it has the same kind of feeling) and don't mind darker topics in general.

Got to get volume 2 now! It's only a 2 volume series I believe.

I have both volumes of this but not read it yet, I'll be interested to know what you thought of it as a whole when you've finished it. I keep meaning to read After School Nightmare by the same author as well :)

@setokaiba: Intrigued to see you've been reading Setona Mizushiro's X-Day and your thoughts on the series. The mangaka was really big in the noughties (although more so in France, she was GOH at a Paris Manga I attended) and I loved her work.

I'd be fascinated to see what you and @RadFemHedonist make of her big US seller After School Nightmare - a controversial series back in the day and still relevant today, although I wonder if it were reprinted now how it would fare. (Sadly the publisher Go!Comi ceased to exist several years ago so it's probably not easy to get copies.) I'd also recommend her dark and twisted BL The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese - or Black Rose Alice a very different take on the gothic vampire trope!

@setokaiba: Intrigued to see you've been reading Setona Mizushiro's X-Day and your thoughts on the series. The mangaka was really big in the noughties (although more so in France, she was GOH at a Paris Manga I attended) and I loved her work.

I'd be fascinated to see what you and @RadFemHedonist make of her big US seller After School Nightmare - a controversial series back in the day and still relevant today, although I wonder if it were reprinted now how it would fare. (Sadly the publisher Go!Comi ceased to exist several years ago so it's probably not easy to get copies.) I'd also recommend her dark and twisted BL The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese - or Black Rose Alice a very different take on the gothic vampire trope!
Oh I've had my eye on Black Rose Alice but I didn't know it was the same mangaka! I'm definitely interested to check them all out if I can.

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer volume 9 (LN)
Hibi Chouchou volumes 1-3 (JP)
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected volume 8 (LN)
My Love Mix-Up volume 1 (JP) - Been meaning to pick up the English release for this one, but in the meantime the Japanese volume was a freebie on Booklive so I decided to read it there ahead of the English edition :)

Asmodeus Will Never Give Up ch 48 - 49

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody ch 81

Even If The Sword Saint is Boring He's Still the Strongest ch 55 - 57

Houkago no Goumon ch 101

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 202

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ch 89

The Princess Knight is a Classmate! ch 43

Sweat and Soap volume 8
Eromanga Sensei volume 6 (JP)
Kakafukaka volume 3
Log Horizon volume 6 (LN) - Featuring one of my favourite storylines in the series so far!
The Strongest Sage with the Weakest Crest volume 5
Skip and Loafer volume 2

Read the first volume of Incurable Case of Love. It surprised me in many positive ways!
To be honest, I was a little hesitant on this one, the doctor theme just didn't appeal to me too much. But since it was by a mangaka that I love, I decided to just trust in her work and buy the first two volumes. As soon as I had the volumes in hand the theme started to appeal to me some more but I wasn't prepared for HOW much I was going to like it.

The doctor setting, as it turns out, is actually very interesting. Feels like I'm learning a bit about the struggles of being a doctor/nurse aswell as working in a hospital with the different departments and stuff. It's not heavily educational or anything but it does help to immerse you in the setting because it seems to be played quite realistically. And on that note, it does not stray from heavier hospital-related topics, which I did not expect at all to hit so hard in what I assumed was a cutesy romance.

And as for the romance itself... I loved it! The main guy is cold with a soft side, which is my absolute favourite type of male MC in a romance, I only wish I could find more romance titles with male MC like that because it feels like I'm running out of them so this was a blessing. They have a fun relationship dynamic that reminds me a little bit of Takane & Hana, with the female MC playfully antagonising him at times and him shooting cold comments at her but then they have their romantic moments.

So happy that I got volume 2 to go along with it and going to prioritise collecting the rest too.

Read the first volume of Incurable Case of Love. It surprised me in many positive ways!
To be honest, I was a little hesitant on this one, the doctor theme just didn't appeal to me too much. But since it was by a mangaka that I love, I decided to just trust in her work and buy the first two volumes. As soon as I had the volumes in hand the theme started to appeal to me some more but I wasn't prepared for HOW much I was going to like it.

The doctor setting, as it turns out, is actually very interesting. Feels like I'm learning a bit about the struggles of being a doctor/nurse aswell as working in a hospital with the different departments and stuff. It's not heavily educational or anything but it does help to immerse you in the setting because it seems to be played quite realistically. And on that note, it does not stray from heavier hospital-related topics, which I did not expect at all to hit so hard in what I assumed was a cutesy romance.

And as for the romance itself... I loved it! The main guy is cold with a soft side, which is my absolute favourite type of male MC in a romance, I only wish I could find more romance titles with male MC like that because it feels like I'm running out of them so this was a blessing. They have a fun relationship dynamic that reminds me a little bit of Takane & Hana, with the female MC playfully antagonising him at times and him shooting cold comments at her but then they have their romantic moments.

So happy that I got volume 2 to go along with it and going to prioritise collecting the rest too.

I really enjoyed Incurable Case of Love back when I read it as well. I wasn't expecting it to go into so much detail on the setting, so that was a nice surprise at the time and it does keep that as the main focus throughout the rest of its run too.

I admit I wasn't as big a fan of the romance in that part volume since the male MC is a little too harsh for my tastes, but that also improved as it went on so by the end I was much more supportive of the whole thing than I had been initially. Happy to hear that someone else is having fun with it! :)

I really enjoyed Incurable Case of Love back when I read it as well. I wasn't expecting it to go into so much detail on the setting, so that was a nice surprise at the time and it does keep that as the main focus throughout the rest of its run too.

I admit I wasn't as big a fan of the romance in that part volume since the male MC is a little too harsh for my tastes, but that also improved as it went on so by the end I was much more supportive of the whole thing than I had been initially. Happy to hear that someone else is having fun with it! :)
I really did enjoy it! And I think I'm one of the masochistic few who really likes those type of male MCs, I read a varied amount of romances since I just enjoy romance stories but those are by far my favourite. If I could read those exclusively... maybe I would haha but there are just too few and the romance genre is so wide. Seeing a cold, harsh guy show a soft loving side in a moment of romance is the type of scene that makes me swoon the most. If the guy is already nice and sweet, it doesn't have so much of an impact for me.
Looking forward to get the rest now :D

Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend vol 4 (complete)
Conception.
For a horror/hentai it wasn't particularly scary or sexy, more disturbing and more down to the art or lack there of in this case. The characters were more realistic looking than the usual manga/anime look, but the censorship of the genitalia of the female characters made it look like they had been mangled down there whilst the male characters had been castrated (whitewashed) or had frostbite (blackwashed)! You could say another disturbing thing was that the vast majority of the cast involved in sex scenes were in junior high! 2 male characters said or alluded that they were 14. Not that they looked that young with the girls having large breasts and both sexes having lots of pubic hair. I just had to pretend they were in high school and at least 16 ie age of consent. Although Fakku went a step further and pretended they were 18!
received_1251707938626768.jpg
If you need to make a ridiculous statement like that why not change the translation?
Not all of the sex was consentual which was the other disturbing thing, although most of that was of the demons doing and, of course, they're supposed to be evil. There was a lot less tentacles than I remember from the anime though.
The plot was OK for the first 2 volumes leading up to what I thought was going to be the reveal of the Overfiend and then s*** really hitting the fan, but it stalled for about another volume and a half before revealing that the boy who we were lead to believe was going to be the Overfiend just turned out to be the vessel of the seed of the Overfiend who planted it in the female MC and then was turned into a devil by the Overfiend from within the womb! And then it ended, with a trip to the future earlier in the volume revealing that Earth had been decimated by the devil and the Overfiend is just about to be born. So we never actually see the titular character!
It does seem like the mangaka thought to himself how can I make an Akira knockoff, but edgier. So you have a teenager with awakening powers, lots of gore and body horror, but with added sex and r*** with none of the more subtle elements of Akira.
5/10

Given volume 6 - All caught up with the Japanese releases now, so will be a while until we see a resolution to the storyline set up in this one. :(

Boys Run the Riot volume 3 - Supposedly concludes in the next volume, but I think there are way too many subplots for it to wrap things up neatly. Fingers crossed it will be a good conclusion, but I'm certainly sceptical at this stage. Not that I regret reading it even if the final volume isn't great though, since this has been a powerful work that explores themes most Japanese media won't or haven't yet.

Rent-A-Girlfriend volume 7
The Passing Summer (complete)
Full Clearing Another World Under a Goddess with Zero Beliverers! volume 1 (LN)

Back