What manga are you reading now?

Last night finished Neo Parasyte F

Really enjoyed it. I've watched the anime but never read the main manga series. This is a collection of one shot stories by different authors/artists.

Overall it's very good. Some of the stories are pretty scary, some gruesome, some are actually very funny. Some feature characters from the main show including the protagonists and some are with totally new characters and just set in the same world.

Only a couple of stories were duds for me. Out of 15 that's pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

Vinland Saga chs 94-100 (Vol 14)
OK, now it's the end of the farm arc. I do wonder how they're going to adapt this arc. It starts a bit slowly with lots of introspection and whilst quite interesting to read probably would turn off the people who were into the action of the first arc.

Hajimete no Gal ch 81

I, a Demon Lord, took a Slave Elf as my Wife, but how do I Love Her? ch 13

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 93

Last edited:
Record of Wortenia War (LN) vol 1
I like reading this in English after already reading it in Japanese - it confirms the accuracy of my understanding while also helping me notice small continuity references. The bandit group Ryoma kills some of the members of claim they're authorised by Xarooda - this gets a small nod in a much later volume.
The (very) occasional slightly jarring and grating sexual comment aside (there's a description of Celia's breasts jiggling as she literally walks at pace to investigate whether her grandfather is alive and well - it feels like they're shoehorned in because someone in editorial went "this novel needs to be sexier") it's a very enjoyable series, IMO.

Amagi Brilliant Park (LN) vol 6
ACTUAL PLOT?! Gasp. Good plot too. Makes me all the more frustrated that apparently next volume will be a return to the short stories, as the main plot in this is really well written. Not that the short stories are bad, per se...

The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar (LN) vol 8
I've gotta say when I first read that Yuuto's summoning had failed and Mitsuki alone was sent to Yggdrasil I thought it was going to be a crummy bit of plot device used to prolong the story. In actuality it's done really well and this is another good volume. Next volume onward is going to be a very enjoyable read, I suspect.

Humans are the Strongest Race ~Starting a Slow Life with an Elf Wife in a Different World~ ch 16

Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou ch 13

The Rising of the Shield Hero ch 56

Last edited:
Blank Canvas: My So Called Artist's Journey volume 1 - Not totally sold on this yet, but will give it at least another volume to decide if keeping or dropping it.

Tokyo Tarareba Girls volume 7 - Getting closer to the end! I definitely foresaw the twist at the end of this volume, but hopefully it turns into good things.

The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious volume 1 (light novel) - review to follow

My Next Left As a Villainess All Routes Lead to Doom! volume 4 (light novel) - Rehash of volume 4, starting to get bored so I hope volume 5 is better. :(

If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord volume 8 (light novel, complete) - I've been following this one since J-Novel Club launched it and I quickly fell in love. Nothing else is going to fill the hole of cute left in my heart. I'm really sad to see it go, but the ending was good and it does admittedly feel like a good time to stop - although I wouldn't mind that short story collection rumoured at the end of the book... At least there is still the anime and manga to keep me going.

Katanagatari volume 2 (Japanese volumes 4-6, light novel) - review to follow!

Silver Spoon volume 9 - Looks like we're officially beyond the anime. I love Silver Spoon, so looking forward to digging into the new content.

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom volume 9 (light novel) - Good volume, back to being caught up to Japan so no new volume for a bit.

Humans are the Strongest Race ~Starting a Slow Life with an Elf Wife in a Different World~ ch 17

Konosuba: Continued - Gifting this Wonderful World with Explosions! ch 15

My Wife is the Student Council President ch 55

Last edited:
Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 28

Special training in the Secret Dungeon ch 13

The Honor Student's Secret Job ch 9-10

Tsugumomo ch 121.1

Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs ch 165

Last edited:
Yotsuba&! Vol 1
That was very amusing.
I've seen this described as un-adaptable, but I've seen/read properties where each chapter is a separate story either as part of an overarching plot (Girls' Last Tour) or not so much (Hakumei and Mikochi) where the anime episodes were split into 2-4 segments for each chapter. Having said that Yotsuba herself seems very loud and to hear that brought to life by a VA might get very annoying very quickly!

I've seen this described as un-adaptable
I think it's less that, more that Azuma doesn't want it to be animated (or he didn't the last I heard). I mean, as the guy behind the incredibly popular Azumanga Daioh I'm sure he'd have no trouble getting it picked up for adaptation, but if he has the final word and doesn't want that then it's not gonna happen. Personally I'm okay with that. The manga is lovely as it is (would you ever get background detail like that in an anime?) and as you've pointed out, I can't really imagine Yotsuba's VA could ever live up to people's expectations.

I've got Made in abyss 6 coming today, I'm nearly halfway through city 5 and I've nearly finished volume 2 of Alita battle angel:deluxe

alita in particular is a great read in volume as much of it is focused on motor ball, something you'd wish the movie would get a sequel for - there's 2 characters in particular that I'd like to see go into a sequel from that volume.

in the movie, motorball becomes tied to the main plot, the top champion being able to go to zarem, at one point alita is set upon by the whole grid being hunter warriors set on taking her out but the manga shows it as more of a distraction from the hunter - warrior routine, I'd like to see that in a possible sequel.

One thing from the volume keeps making me laugh even now though, and it's about best boy

20.jpg

Tiegel just lazily trails behind everyone and does one lap - luckily in that race the ball has to make 5, the ball falls off the the track and a fresh one is put up at the starting line, best boy just picks it up and makes his 1 lap, winning a race that spanned 2 long, entertaining chapters where he had minimum frames - instant riot among the fans.
It's not what happens in the first hour - it's the last second that counts!

Back