What manga are you reading now?

Magical Girl Raising Project (light novel) vol. 5 -
This series continues to amble along consistently, satisfying but never really breaking any boundaries.

Which perhaps isn't the impression a dark magical girl story should be giving. But it's nice to read.

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts vol 1 -
It was like £3 a week or so ago so I figured I'd give it a try.
Wouldn't exactly say it breaks new ground but it was a decent enough read. The preview of volume 2 seems a bit more interesting though.

The Quintessential Quintuplets vol 3 -
Had it hanging around waiting for a month or two, figured I'd read it before catching up with the anime. It's a fun enough read and I like the art. Feels like they cover a lot of ground with each volume, really.

I Want to Eat Your Pancreas Complete Manga Collection (review)

Record of Grancrest War volume 1 (review)

Fire Punch volumes 1-2 - Started this off the back of reading the mangaka's latest series, Chainsaw Man. I like what I found in Fire Punch and will probably continue it through to the end. The story is a bit weird, but also difficult to put down.

Tokyo Ghoul:re volume 6

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years volume 3 (light novel) - Ah another comfy volume.

Cells at Work volume 4

I'm Standing on a Million Lives volumes 1-2

Tokyo Tarareba Girls volume 5 - Some interesting developments going on in this volume...

Infinite Dendrogram volume 1 - I think the light novel is definitely the better way of telling the story, but the manga adaptation is a fun companion to it and shows off the battles well. Difficult to keep track of the action sometimes though.

Loft Flower, Fall for Me!! volume 4

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts vol 1 -
It was like £3 a week or so ago so I figured I'd give it a try.
Wouldn't exactly say it breaks new ground but it was a decent enough read. The preview of volume 2 seems a bit more interesting though.

Sounds quite similar to my own feelings. It never has broken new ground and stayed very 'monster of the week' like as it continued, but I grew attached to the cast so I just keep collecting it anyway...

Classroom of the Elite (light novel) vol 1 -
Well, this gives off a rather different feel to the anime. Ayanokouji seems a lot more normal? And I'm not sure if it's the relative lack of description, but the atmosphere seems rather thin.

I didn't dislike it, per se, but I was slightly disappointed.
Sounds quite similar to my own feelings. It never has broken new ground and stayed very 'monster of the week' like as it continued, but I grew attached to the cast so I just keep collecting it anyway...
Hmn, you're making me question whether or not it was worth buying volume 2... ah well. If it does get too boring I'll stop.

Kinda surprising that it's getting an adaptation in that case though. Or maybe not. I guess it'd be a safe option wouldn't it?

Battle Angel Alita Vol 9 (complete)
Well that was a bit of a lame ending. Both the canonical one at chapter 51 and the alternative extra 3 chapters are both disappointing in different ways. Canonical one just ends with the bad guy suddenly coming back to life and blowing Alita up and the alternative one has Alita's sacrifice to save everyone spoiled by her coming back to life.
rage.jpg
Overall most of the action stuff is really cool, but the story doesn't really flow that well, especially early on with different events happening to Alita that are totally different from the previous volume.
7/10

Puella Magi Homura Tamura vol 2
Read the first volume forever ago. It's so random but fun. Been ages since I read/watched any Madoka stuff.

The Quintessential Quintuplets vol 4
Ah, things are finally starting to get serious. I'm not even sure who to root for.

The Quintessential Quintuplets vol 5-6
The problem with reading things on Kindle is that if you get into them there's little to stop you purchasing and reading more than you intended. Not that I'm short on money or anything, but I did intend to do other things last night...
Anyway. Continued cute romancey stuff. And based on the ending of volume 6 it feels, strangely, like everyone's finally arrived at the starting line. Looking forward to volume 7.

Toradora (LN) vol 3
The violence of their emotions and interaction really comes out better in the LN. Either that or it's been so long since I watched the anime I can't remember it clearly.
Those cathartic moments when they're actually on good terms are really amazing though. Taiga yelling defensively over Ryuuji's body after the pool incident was intense.

I'm Standing on a Million Lives volumes 3-4 (dropped) - Fun enough, but not something I can see myself putting money into going forward.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime volumes 2-4

Land of the Lustrous volume 1 (also dropped) - Didn't get on with this at all, which is a shame given the hype around it.

Mushishi volumes 1-2 - a lot like The Morose Mononokean, which I am always up for seeing more of.

Re:Zero volume 6 (light novel)

Animeta! volume 1 - Absolutely loved this, definitely on-board for me and can't wait to see where the story goes. Fans of shirobako would probably enjoy it quite a lot...

Back