What manga are you reading now?

Oh yes, I agree it really comes to life when Sherlock appears - which is why I'm hopeful that the OVAs will be fun. Crunchyroll had better get them for us as it would a shame after the fanfares to miss out on them.)Also I adore the idea of Sherlock and the Moriarty brothers visiting Bath, although I can't bear to tell the authors that people weren't swimming in the Roman Baths then (it's a rare event even now) as they were still being excavated. (Photo from the Francis Frith collection - 1890). bath-the-roman-baths-1890_25135.jpg

Rent-A-(Really Shy!)-Girlfriend volume 2
Fushi no Kami: Rebuilding Civilization Starts with a Village volume 1 - I like the manga more than the LN and the art is nice, so I'll likely keep following this one.

Tesla Note volume 4
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End volume 2 - Liking this one a bit more thanks to a new addition to the cast.

Love of Kill volume 4
Mr. Bride volume 5
Piano Duo for the Left Hand volume 2 - The introduction of another OP character! You can sure tell this is a shounen series...

Happy Sugar Life vol 5
Having said this felt a bit creepier in manga format than anime, I found the scene where Satou kills her friend wasn't as impactful as the anime, maybe because I knew it was coming, but the framing didn't seem the same.

Love of Kill volume 5-6
I Belong to the Baddest Girl at School volume 3
The Savior's Book Café Story in Another World volume 2 - This would have been quite a nice conclusion actually, I hope the place they chose to stop later is as good.

Blackguard volume 1
Skip and Loafer volume 4
Altina the Sword Princess volume 14 (LN) - Can't believe this has been on hiatus for four years with no continuation in sight after the author left us with a cliffhanger like that!! They keep talking about Altina in afterwords for their other ongoing series, so I hope they'll go back eventually...

Chitose Is in the Ramune Bottle volume 1 (LN)
My Dad's the Queen of All Vtubers?! volume 3 (complete)
Magic Artisan Dahlia Wilts No More volume 1 - I normally try to avoid picking up manga based on LNs since they often end in the middle of nowhere or prove to be average adaptations at best. But I am particularly attached to the world of Dahlia in Bloom (which is what the LN is licensed as from J-Novel Club), so I picked the manga up anyway. Glad I did because it was adorable! Certainly will keep picking it up going forward so I can see the antics of the cast in a different medium.

I read My Wandering Warrior Existence by Nagata Kabi and although I found something to relate to in all of her works, this has to be my new favourite. It deals with a theme close to my heart, having a different experience with feeling love than others around you and coming to terms with it.
I'd never seen someone express some of the confusing feelings around love/relationships I had growing up that made me feel broken and I only recently came to terms with in the past few years, and I think it's really important that someone has. As always, I love her honesty. The artwork is so expressive and something I really love about it as always too.

(Spoilers for the ending) I'm especially happy with the ending and that it ended with her realising that it was okay to live in her own way, even "alone", and not cave in to the social pressures around her. It's really healthy and I think both past and present me would appreciate this sentiment of finding your own happiness, sometimes happiness is not found by following the beaten path.

I read My Wandering Warrior Existence by Nagata Kabi and although I found something to relate to in all of her works, this has to be my new favourite. It deals with a theme close to my heart, having a different experience with feeling love than others around you and coming to terms with it.
I'd never seen someone express some of the confusing feelings around love/relationships I had growing up that made me feel broken and I only recently came to terms with in the past few years, and I think it's really important that someone has. As always, I love her honesty. The artwork is so expressive and something I really love about it as always too.

(Spoilers for the ending) I'm especially happy with the ending and that it ended with her realising that it was okay to live in her own way, even "alone", and not cave in to the social pressures around her. It's really healthy and I think both past and present me would appreciate this sentiment of finding your own happiness, sometimes happiness is not found by following the beaten path.

I was wondering if you have heard of a novel called Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata? I haven't read it but I heard about it on a youtube book/reading themed channel called A Clockwork Reader and it sounds like maybe you would like it if you like books about people who find their own, idiosyncratic happiness, it's also apparently quite short (was on a ten short books to get you out of a reading slump kind of list). Sorry if it's a bit weird to recommend stuff like that on an anime/manga and LN focused site and IIRC you tend to prefer manga to LNs anyway, but I just thought it might be of interest, made me think of what the youtuber had to say about it when I read what you wrote, even though the central theme is more about resisting the pressure to be intensely ambitious by default, rather than the pressure to be in a romantic relationship and stuff like that by default :) You've reminded me to actually make the time to read some of Nagata Kabi's work at some point as sad to say I still haven't.

As for what I'm reading at the moment, I finished Volume 8 of Lovely Complex and I've been working my way through a lush big hardcover book called An Illustrated Treasury of Swedish Folk and Fairy Tales, the illustrator is John Bauer, I've attached a pic of the cover as well. It's a delightful read if you enjoy fairy/folk tales, and I also have East of the Sun and West of the Moon with illustrations by Kay Nielsen which I am planning to read next after I finish this :)

Attachments

• An Illustrated Treasury of Swedish Folk and Fairy Tales John Bauer.jpg
    An Illustrated Treasury of Swedish Folk and Fairy Tales John Bauer.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 0
I was wondering if you have heard of a novel called Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata? I haven't read it but I heard about it on a youtube book/reading themed channel called A Clockwork Reader and it sounds like maybe you would like it if you like books about people who find their own, idiosyncratic happiness, it's also apparently quite short (was on a ten short books to get you out of a reading slump kind of list). Sorry if it's a bit weird to recommend stuff like that on an anime/manga and LN focused site and IIRC you tend to prefer manga to LNs anyway, but I just thought it might be of interest, made me think of what the youtuber had to say about it when I read what you wrote, even though the central theme is more about resisting the pressure to be intensely ambitious by default, rather than the pressure to be in a romantic relationship and stuff like that by default :) You've reminded me to actually make the time to read some of Nagata Kabi's work at some point as sad to say I still haven't.

As for what I'm reading at the moment, I finished Volume 8 of Lovely Complex and I've been working my way through a lush big hardcover book called An Illustrated Treasury of Swedish Folk and Fairy Tales, the illustrator is John Bauer, I've attached a pic of the cover as well. It's a delightful read if you enjoy fairy/folk tales, and I also have East of the Sun and West of the Moon with illustrations by Kay Nielsen which I am planning to read next after I finish this :)
Yes, I have read Convenience Store Woman actually! It's one of the few regular novels I've read in recent times. It's really good and also touched on some things I could relate to (I never understood why some class it as a weird comedy when for me it seemed straightforwardly reasonable haha) but in a different way. I definitely recommend reading it!

Thank you for thinking of me and making the recommendation btw, you had my tastes spot on and I don't think it's weird to make a non-manga rec if it's relevant!

Yes, I have read Convenience Store Woman actually! It's one of the few regular novels I've read in recent times. It's really good and also touched on some things I could relate to (I never understood why some class it as a weird comedy when for me it seemed straightforwardly reasonable haha) but in a different way. I definitely recommend reading it!

Thank you for thinking of me and making the recommendation btw, you had my tastes spot on and I don't think it's weird to make a non-manga rec if it's relevant!

I'm even more likely to read it myself now since you rate it highly and for those reasons :)

This is more of a general question for everyone here not you specifically but does anyone have any advice on how to read more/get back into reading? I am reading a bit more recently but wish I could read as voraciously as I did as a child again. The main thing that probably wouldn't be helpful is things like taking notes cuz that will just detract from my immersion and make it feel more like work (plus I don't struggle to keep track of the plots and characters etc, even after hiatuses of years away from something that I previously started but didn't finish), but apart from that, I'm generally open to any reasonable suggestions/advice to at least consider them :) I'm looking to read for pleasure rather than for work or education :)

I'm even more likely to read it myself now since you rate it highly and for those reasons :)

This is more of a general question for everyone here not you specifically but does anyone have any advice on how to read more/get back into reading? I am reading a bit more recently but wish I could read as voraciously as I did as a child again. The main thing that probably wouldn't be helpful is things like taking notes cuz that will just detract from my immersion and make it feel more like work (plus I don't struggle to keep track of the plots and characters etc, even after hiatuses of years away from something that I previously started but didn't finish), but apart from that, I'm generally open to any reasonable suggestions/advice to at least consider them :) I'm looking to read for pleasure rather than for work or education :)
I used to be a kid who went through books like crazy and then just stopped reading so I understand! I don't read novels much (mostly just read manga), but sometimes I squeeze them into what I call my "reading time" which is where I get comfy at night and read. It's a nice self care comfy vibe to take that time for yourself to wind down
before sleep and it can become a habit that way. I also like to enjoy a hot chocolate with it sometimes hehe. So, I would recommend setting aside some reading time, I think night works best but it could be whenever suits you.

I used to be a kid who went through books like crazy and then just stopped reading so I understand! I don't read novels much (mostly just read manga), but sometimes I squeeze them into what I call my "reading time" which is where I get comfy at night and read. It's a nice self care comfy vibe to take that time for yourself to wind down
before sleep and it can become a habit that way. I also like to enjoy a hot chocolate with it sometimes hehe. So, I would recommend setting aside some reading time, I think night works best but it could be whenever suits you.

I'm so sorry I think I asked before and this is what you said that time (as in sorry if I'm wasting your/people here's time a bit by asking the same thing twice)? But that is actually a suggestion that I will think about anyway thankyou, I've not been much of a winding-down before bed sort of person in the last few years, I don't find it too hard to sleep these days (and don't have a regular bedtime for that reason cuz I can kinda just conk out whenever) but maybe it would be good to try something like that for a while and see if it works for me :) Maybe I could try a different time of day like you suggested like a half hour in the mornings might work or maybe sometime between 5pm and 7pm as that's between when a lot of other things I might do are no longer options because shops/services start to close, deliveries less likely, etc, and when I phone my mum in the evenings :)

I'm so sorry I think I asked before and this is what you said that time (as in sorry if I'm wasting your/people here's time a bit by asking the same thing twice)? But that is actually a suggestion that I will think about anyway thankyou, I've not been much of a winding-down before bed sort of person in the last few years, I don't find it too hard to sleep these days (and don't have a regular bedtime for that reason cuz I can kinda just conk out whenever) but maybe it would be good to try something like that for a while and see if it works for me :) Maybe I could try a different time of day like you suggested like a half hour in the mornings might work or maybe sometime between 5pm and 7pm as that's between when a lot of other things I might do are no longer options because shops/services start to close, deliveries less likely, etc, and when I phone my mum in the evenings :)
I don't think I've said it before so don't worry! Maybe someone else told you a similar thing or I'm forgetting though but either way no worries. I hope you can find something that works for you!

My Wandering Warrior Existence (complete) - I found this one a little more directionless than her other books toward the end, but I appreciate the message she was trying to convey with it and I'm just glad the author is in a better place. Good read either way!

Links (complete) - This one was also a good read, even if I did struggle initially because a lot of the cast look like the characters in Given. Furthur was not helped by there being two older looking versions of Ritsuka, who I could only tell the difference between by one wearing glasses and one not. 😅 Despite that, I did enjoy seeing how the lives of the characters connected and their stories were interesting.

Haikyuu!! A Party Reignited (one-shot, complete) - I wish this had been a mini-series so we could have seen the cast play a game.

The Night is Short, Walk on Girl volume 4 (JP)
Don't Blush, Sekime-san (complete, Manga +)
Prison Life is Easy for a Villainess volume 2 (LN, complete) - Happy to see this one wrap up in its second volume, I think any more than that would have felt like it was dragging out the premise.

More physical copies - hurrah!
The Case Files of Jeweler Richard #2 (manga) Seven Seas
Skip and Loafer
#4 Misaki Takamatsu Seven Seas
Hitorijime My Hero #12 Memeco Arii Kodansha (really surprised and pleased to receive a pre-ordered Kodansha title on time!)

@Demelza: The latest Skip and Loafer reminds me that this title has several similarities with one of your anime choices for Spring: Heroines run the Show! (Enterprising but unconventional girl from out of town goes to high school in the big city - gets one fashionable, flashy girlfriend and one quiet, dark girlfriend with glasses...) ;)

Links (complete) - This one was also a good read, even if I did struggle initially because a lot of the cast look like the characters in Given. Furthur was not helped by there being two older looking versions of Ritsuka, who I could only tell the difference between by one wearing glasses and one not. 😅 Despite that, I did enjoy seeing how the lives of the characters connected and their stories were interesting.
I really enjoyed Links too but I'm glad I'm not alone in finding it difficult working which character is which (being able in the physical edition to flip to the character pages at the end and back makes it a lot easier than in the digital version). :)

I'd certainly recommend it as I think the mangaka makes the stories connect in a really clever way - yet without losing the real emotional punch that they deliver. And the drawings are very beautifully done. And there's a kitty...

@Demelza: The latest Skip and Loafer reminds me that this title has several similarities with one of your anime choices for Spring: Heroines run the Show! (Enterprising but unconventional girl from out of town goes to high school in the big city - gets one fashionable, flashy girlfriend and one quiet, dark girlfriend with glasses...) ;)
Well, I do like a good story about a plucky country bumpkin finding her place in the wider world! (Especially should she end up in some unexpected and ridiculous situation like in Heroines Run the Show) Skip and Loafer has been a real delight for Mitsumi finding her place in the place while not losing who she is, too. :)

I really enjoyed Links too but I'm glad I'm not alone in finding it difficult working which character is which (being able in the physical edition to flip to the character pages at the end and back makes it a lot easier than in the digital version). :)

I'd certainly recommend it as I think the mangaka makes the stories connect in a really clever way - yet without losing the real emotional punch that they deliver. And the drawings are very beautifully done. And there's a kitty...
I'm relieved I wasn't the only one too honestly! I always feel a little bad when I like a creator but have to confess to not being able to tell some of the characters apart, the character profiles really were a huge help... 😅

I've never posted here before but I just had to comment on A Bride's Story by Kaoru Mori. I don't usually read manga but I read Emma-A Victorian Romance after watching the anime series and found out about A Bride's Story and was totally enamored by it-what a story!

Sasaki and Miyano volume 5

Days on Fes volume 5 (complete) - Sad to see this one go when it feels like it needed just a little more time to wrap up all the story elements. Hopefully, Yen will pick up the spin-off/sequel series the author has been doing since?

The Dungeon of Black Company volume 7
Konosuba volume 16 (LN) - Only one more volume until the end! 😭
Sasaki and Miyano Official Anthology Comic (JP, complete) - Couldn't resist picking this up in Japanese yesterday after hearing the I Cannot Reach You author contributed. A very nice collection of stories and I hope Yen Press will bring it to the English market in due time.

Back