What manga are you reading now?

Death Note Black Edition volume 6
The ending is slightly different than how the anime adaptation ended.
Mikami doesn't commit suicide (it may be a nod to a theory Matsuda talks about in the epilogue chapter of the manga, see below) and Light doesn't escape to die elsewhere. Ryuk says to his face, in front of the others, that he is going to write his name in the Notebook and then does.
They also cut the epilogue chapter in which a year later Aizawa is chief and Near is L and they talk about busting a drug deal that will take place in the same building as the meeting place at the end of Lights story, Matsuda and Ide discuss a theory about Mikami being controlled by the Notebook after Near got his hands on it to ensure he would win and, a group of hooded figures walk up a mountain to pray for Kira with Misa at their head. Finis.

According to an interview with Ohba and Obata in the 'volume 13' guidebook...
it's apparently not Misa: it's just some random Kira worshipper. I'd assumed it was supposed to be Misa at first as well.
Looking again the hair is longer and darker, which could be explained. But the eyes do seem lighter

A Silent Voice volume 1
Very much like the opening to the film bar a few changes.
One of my criticism of the film was the garbled English in the subtitles when Shoko spoke. She only speaks twice in this volume one of which was also barely legible. I suppose it depends on how badly she can hear because that's how we learn to speak.
I know a person who is hard of hearing and she sounds like she has a very thick accent that if you don't listen closely enough you can't understand, but it is not garbled. I guess it comes down to being hard to translate that from speech into text. And one reason why I want to watch again with the English dub, especially as they are using a actress that is hard of hearing herself.
However I like the fact we get to see everything that happened in the past before we know that Shoyo is contemplating suicide. We don't even see the scene by the bridge, I assume that will be in volume 2.

Complex Age Volume 6 (complete) - What a wild ride this series has been, I've loved every second. I'm so glad I was given the chance to review the first volume because I'm not sure I'd have picked it up otherwise and what I waste that would have been.

The series is sensitive, but not shy in dealing with complex issues in fandom and it does so wonderfully. Somehow I was left impatiently awaiting every volume and usually a series does have a volume or two I'm not as hot on, so to keep me this interested for all 6 is amazing. I'm probably laying on the praise too thick here, but really this series is well worth everyone's time.

A Silent Voice volume 3
Naoko still a b****. Seems she was jealous of Shoko because Shoya spent most of his time bullying/teasing her, and Shoko in turn seems to have taken that attention as a sign Shoya liked her. Shoya in the meantime seemed a little jealous after he had reunited Shoko with Miyoko and they got on straight away and like a typical bloke doesn't know what to do with these feelings. I can't remember getting much of these nuanced things from the film, but it has been a while since I saw it and it will be interesting to watch again after I have finished reading the manga.

Last edited:
A Silent Voice volume 4
Blimey, Shokos dad and his parents were a right bunch of **** holes! I don't remember that bit in the film, it would have made me feel sympathy for her mother a lot more as she came across quite cold a lot of the time.

If It’s for My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord Volume 3 (light novel) - This series is way too cute, especially this volume.

A Silent Voice volume 5
I think Miki has taken Naokos place as worst person after outing Shoya. Always acting the goody-goody, hiding her nasty side. Naoko even tried to help Shoya, by telling him to get over himself.
Got a message from Waterstones today, so will pick up the next 2 volumes tomorrow.

A Silent Voice volume 6
Most of the characters gets a chapter each in which you can get a sense of what drives them. Shokos chapter is a bit odd though. There's a flash back to the night she tried to jump, and then a dream where everything was rosie back in elementary school (even her dad is still around), and then it seems to continue (dispite looking like she woke up) with Shoya saying goodbye (as in he was dying, I think?)

A Silent Voice volume 7
You definitely get to understand the people in the group better in the manga than in the film. I'll comment again after watching the film again, now on pre-order in standard Blu-Ray version.

Back