What manga are you reading now?

20thCenturyBoy said:
Nonstarter Noodle said:
Also started to read a Manga called "It's not my fault I'm not popular" or something like that. I'm sure I'm not it's target audience but it's actually turning out to be quite an interesting read.
VoxPhantom said:
It's not my fault I'm not popular (Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!) is great fun, and getting better as it goes along. Be interested to see if the anime adaptation is going to be full length episodes or just 5 minute shorts.

I like It's Not My Fault... at this point it's very funny, but when I first started reading it I found it terribly depressing and it maybe just hit a little too close to home. I'd imagine the anime will end up being 5 minute episodes, though I would like to see it done Azumanga/Lucky Star style of full length but just breaking up the chapters throughout the episode.
Aye, there were a few chapters that hit quite close to home for me. Didn't find it depressing, rather it felt like a message that other people have the same experience, so there was no need to feel down.

Well I've read all the chapters of It's not my fault I'm not popular and I had to remind myself often that I didn't write it. It made me happy and sad and made me think so I'm really looking forward to the Anime adaptation.
Made a start with B Gata H Kei Yamada's first time, just as mad as the Anime and hopefully we'll get this one too.

The first cardcatcher sakura book.

I had forgotten how heavy a 600 odd page book gets after a while.

Beautiful artwork :)

I restarted Fairy Tail last night (since I couldn't remember where I got up to), after I discovered that the anime adaptation has come to an end (for now?). With the way they left things, I HAVE to see what happens next! So I decided not to wait for the anime, to find out.

Sundome

If the Farrelly brothers ever — EVER!!! — decided to go the high school comedy route, I imagine the end result would not be far-removed from this 8-volume manga series. Through its entire run, it had me in fits of laughter and cringes of disgust and /or embarrassment, in equal measure.

It’s a darker, more twisted take on the high school romcom . As such it wasn’t easy reading; sometimes I would hesitate turning a page for fear of seeing the main character making a progressively bigger jackass of himself. The humour won’t appeal to all, relying quite heavily as it does on human bodily functions.

Yet, strip away all of that ickiness, and you expose a gentle tale of a boy and girl who are absolutely devoted to one another and who complete each other perfectly. Their budding relationship develops throughout the series not despite the uncomfortably gross situations, but because of them. We have Hideo who’s smitten by Kurumi pretty much from the beginning. She’s a pallid beauty, a sense of mischief given fragile existence. She has Hideo devoted to her, and though she wields this power over him, she will never abuse it.

It also helps that the humour is spot-on throughout the series. The timing thereof is on target, and the payoffs nothing short of laugh-out-loud hilarious (provided of course you possess the necessary fortitude). It can be something as simple as a kid brother’s innocent banter causing unease at the dinner table, or a more elaborate scene much later at the hospital that manages, all at the same time, to be funny, touching and disgusting. To say nothing of the scene involving confusion over a glow-in-the -dark condom…

The dialogue and the narration stands as a testament as to the quality of Yen Press’s translation and localisation efforts. The story is peppered with memorable quotes. Some examples:

“I accidentally ended up inserting myself into your mail slot.”
“A child’s innocence is like a nuclear weapon.”
“What is it with your rivalry with toilet paper?”

The artwork is also not what I’d classify as “conventional”. Most of the supporting characters are drawn as caricatures. Actually, leading lady Kurumi is portrayed as the most “normal” (relatively speaking of course). Hideo’s designs, depending on his level of embarrassment, fluctuate between the relatively normal and the wild comic exaggerations. What the character designs do achieve overall is to complement the dark and disturbing absurdist nature of the story very effectively.

To be honest, when I read the first volume of Sundome, I thought I had made a mistake in making this purchase. Through perseverance I uncovered a dark but touching tale that at 8 volumes did not outstay its welcome. It took me out of my comfort zone and richly rewarded my decision to take a chance on it. And so it must get 9/10.

Sundome:

I finished reading the set towards the end of last year. I must admit, I thought I made a mistake when I started reading this (as I don't buy from book stores, I couldn't check). As always though, once I buy the first volume I have to buy the rest, I'm kinda glad I did like Yakumo.

Currently reading: The Flowers Of Evil, Vol.2

Today I'm going to read Cheshire Cat Waltz 3 and 4. Over the past few days I've read Bakuman 18, Strobe Edge 3, Missions of Love 3, Sailor Moon 10, Full Moon wo Sagashite 5. The joys of being ill...

I've recently powered through The World God Only Knows, To Love-Ru, To Love-Ru Darkness and now onto Toradora!

I really liked TWGOK, it really had me absorbed in the story which to me is very interesting.

I won't say much about To Love-Ru. I can't seem to stop reading it! It's mediocre at best with smut being it's only selling point. I suppose there is worse out there.

I am very much enjoying Toradora. Can't say much as I've only started it.

Over the last two evenings I've read:
A Certain Scientific Railgun Vols 1 & 2
Haganai Vol 2
Is This A Zombie? Vol 2

I really like Railgun and Haganai, but I have no idea what the hell is meant to be going on in Is this a Zombie?.

Back