What manga are you reading now?

Negima Vol. 1-5 arrived today. I read Vol. 1 a few hours ago.

The first 4 chapters were near identical to the anime, with only chapters 5-6 being new. It was more enjoyable experiencing the story in manga forum but not by a great amount. The plot is stay for too silly to relate to this time around, there are still far too many girls to remember and the main character is still poor in comparison the loveable clutz known as Keitaro. Based on Vol. 1 of both the anime and manga, it's not on the same level as Love Hina.

Right now, my rating is somewhere between 7-8. I'll need to read Vol. 2-5 to know what would be a fairer rating for the series.

The Lupin III manga. It's sad reading it since I know Tokyopop dropped the license because it was a low seller. To be honest I think they marketed it completely wrong in the first place. The Lupin III manga visually looks nothing like what your average manga fan wants, the art style is rouch, loose and scruffy. It has more of the look of western or European comics than any other Japanese comic I've ever seen.

The main complaint about the series was in fact the art style but for me it's the drawing point. Out of all of the comics out there labeled as manga Lupin III is one of the few that truly stands out as having an original image.

It's a shame because as each volume progresses it seems to get better and better from a shaky start (and also one of the few series I have any patience for right now). I think I might make it my goal to review every released volume of the manga for AUKN.

Sy said:
I think I might make it my goal to review every released volume of the manga for AUKN.
Go for it, I've been interested to know what it's like myself. Heretical as it may seem here on an anime & manga board, the fact you describe it as being more like a western comic makes me more interested. I'll probably pick up Volume 1 and try it out anyway.

Volume 1 has some brilliant moments but it's a pretty shaky start overall. Everything about it is still being developed and refined into what the characters would become. The humour is much more crass and the women seem to get molested often.

Still the style is original, the comedy is hilarious and best of all Lupin is a criminal, something that seemed to be forgotten in The Castle of Cagliostro. The first volume also has 2 of my all time favourite Lupin stories in it too 'The Great Escape' and ''The hand is Quicker Than the Spy' (the titles may be wrong).

I already posted a review for the first volume in the manga section though looking back I think I was slightly harsh on my rating. I'd probably bump the first volume up to a 6/10 now with subsequent volumes getting higher and higher. If you're going to try it out then now's the time to do it because it's getting harder and harder to find.

Black Sun Silver Moon volume 6. I am enjoying the series over all, although it is starting to feel a little dragged out. I hope they don't try to make it too long and can give it a good conclusion.

WOOT! After months of being deprived, saving my money for presents and daily upkeep, I finally got a manga!!!!

Reading Negima vol.20. Anya rocks! :)

As of late i've been working my way through the Full Metal Alchemist manga when i get the change. I've read 68 chapters so far and i have to say i've found it more enjoyable and interesting compared to the anime of it, will probably add more to that when i've caught up.

Also read Bleach's latest chapter and the only thing i can is finally They look like they are moving back to Ichigo's battle, and the ranks of the last three arrancar are shown

Last edited by a moderator:
Arbalest said:
Also read Bleach's latest chapter and the only thing i can is finally They look like they are moving back to Ichigo's battle, and the ranks of the last three arrancar are shown

I didn't even realise it was out yet...Still a good move going back to ichigo's fight...though i'm annoyed that we didn't see it before hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished catching up with Full Metal Alchemist, so up to date with that, and gotta say, its really quite enjoyable. At first i wasn't sure if it would be but as it went on the characters became more interesting and the story that bit more engrossing. Now just gotta wait monthly for the next chapter, like Soul Eater =/

Also just read Naruto's latest chapter, and, resisting the urge to add spoilers, its probably got the most unexpected events take place in it for a long while.

Finished reading through Negima! 19 and 20 earlier this morning. Still quite good at the moment, though could be a little better, wasn't as good as the previous 2 or so volumes in terms of action, but story wise its progressing nicely.

Negima V3-halfway through V4
Samurai Deeper Kyo - V1-2

My thoughts about Negima haven't changed since I first read the description of the series: it's enjoyable enough to read but lacks a decent story, lacks the heart of Love Hina, has way too many characters and a 10 year old snogging 14 year olds in lust is more weird than anything. Unlike with Love Hina, a series I went out of my way to collect, I'd only read beyond V5 of Negima if I can get more volumes for a low amount.

Samurai Deeper Kyo is much better than I expected. The anime, which butchered the source material, turning it into a crappy shounen series with lots of monsters and no animation, lead me to believe the manga would also be a bit on the crappy side. It's turned out to be very pleasing, with no monster rubbish and a dark, mature feel (with lots of fun/fan service) - sort of like a much lighter version of Berserk. If not for the huge amount of volumes (38 ) I'd probably collect the series.

Read Berserk Volumes 1+2. Reading Volume 3 at the moment and the anime stroryline just kicked in. Loving the manga. It is different to the anime, but in a good way. Haven't decided which I prefer yet like (not that you need a favourite). Looking forward to reading more. Top manga. ^_^

Back