What Games Are You Playing?

Asides from almost finishing Persona 4 AFTER 2 AND A HALF YEARS, i've been working on Torchlight recently alongside Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, since both are extremely easy to pick up and play for 10 minutes or hours.

Finding it a little hard to get onto one game and focus on it with work giving me 39+ hours the next two weeks, so these two games certainly help to fill that gap. But asides from that, i'm trying really hard to get the motivation to play more Ninja Gaiden 3, but failing miserably. Hopefully with the Weapons being available via free DLC tomorrow, i'll get that click back and get stuck in.

I was watching a stream of the game yesterday, and in terms of combat, and overallness, it's not exactly that it's a bad game that i rant on it, it's the fact that it is a bare bones, stripped to simplicity Ninja Gaiden. It feels incomplete, it feels like they tried to make it appeal to the casual audiences, but made it more confusing instead. I think if they had kept it all in there, the rants would almost be non-existent, but there we go. It might be worth a buy, but just, get it at a tenner or £20 max.

2 and a half years playing a Japanese cartoon when you could've just spent 25 weeks watching a Japanese cartoon? :)

Finished Metroid Fusion yesterday, good game. Started Metroid Zero Mission earlier.

Genkina Hito said:
Halo Anniversary. It's beautiful but the musical cues are off. Still enjoying it though.

I've never understood the love the first Halo gets. I guess because I wasn't there at the beginning (I mean, I was physically alive, but I never played it until I got a 360) but it just seems vastly inferior to 2 and 3. I don't mean graphics or weapons, I just mean the damn endless corridors. There's just WAY too much repetition of the same damn room once you get to the part with the flood and the final driving sequence is all over the place. THe Warthog seems at once made of lead and feathers in different parts of its frame...

DW4, that's pretty old school. But that's the great thing about DW games, once you've got one you'll never have any need to buy any other DW game since it will always be the exact same thing. Koei will keep making the same game every time all the way until the end of time (and probably beyond!). No matter economic boom or downturn, they will not deviate. I have to almost admire Koei's near OCD level of drive for never changing consistency, It assures that all is still right with the universe.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Genkina Hito said:
Halo Anniversary. It's beautiful but the musical cues are off. Still enjoying it though.

I've never understood the love the first Halo gets. I guess because I wasn't there at the beginning (I mean, I was physically alive, but I never played it until I got a 360) but it just seems vastly inferior to 2 and 3. I don't mean graphics or weapons, I just mean the damn endless corridors. There's just WAY too much repetition of the same damn room once you get to the part with the flood and the final driving sequence is all over the place. THe Warthog seems at once made of lead and feathers in different parts of its frame...

I was there for the first one and I played through it on every difficulty. It was the first time that I had played a FPS on a console after years of playing them on the PC and it had adapted the genre magnificently to the X-box. The controls were mapped out brilliantly and it had gameplay that seamlessly joined vehicle/exploration/shoot-em-up sections. Yes there was repetition but I forgave it because the game allowed me to make my own way through levels - usually by hijacking banshees and laughing maniacally as I flew around raining terror on bad guys.

I also appreciated the fact that it was one of the few FPS at the time that didn't have a brown/black/grey colour scheme and gave you luxurious colours. Seeing Covenant energy blasts paint the snowy landscape around me was thrilling. Also, the musical cues were brilliant. Every section had the right piece playing and it got my blood pumping.

Ironically I've disliked every sequel since.

Heh, that's exactly how I feel about Halo. I loved the first game, for so many reasons; the colour, the AI, the great banter the little enemies dudes would throw at you, the great music, and of course the simplicity with which I was allowed to fight through the game my own way. I think the sequels have only diluted the magic of Halo, I have almost zero interest in the franchise now.

For some reason whenever I order something before a long weekend it never arrives in time, d'oh! I guess there's a chance for Saturday if mine ships tomorrow. Until then I'll just have to envy you from afar.

R

Last night, I was fighting the final boss on Kid Icarus: Uprising, when my L button stopped working. It had been somewhat unresponsive recently, but now it's stopped. I heard of a technique where if you put your lips around the button and suck, you can remove some dust that may have got stuck on the contacts - that only improved it slightly. The shitter is, my warranty expired 2 weeks ago. So I've emailed Nintendo to see if they'll overlook that fact and not charge me for repairs (Can't hurt to try, right?).

So in the mean time, I've been messing around with the control system. Despite being ambidextrous - I can't play Kid Icarus: Uprising with the left handed controls, so I instead rerouted the controls to let me fire with the R button as well, which I control with my pinkie and ring finger (when the pinkie gets tired).

btw, Viridi and the Forces of Nature are badass. Anyone says otherwise, I shall throw a Reset Bomb in their toilet.

vashdaman said:
Heh, that's exactly how I feel about Halo. I loved the first game, for so many reasons; the colour, the AI, the great banter the little enemies dudes would throw at you, the great music, and of course the simplicity with which I was allowed to fight through the game my own way. I think the sequels have only diluted the magic of Halo, I have almost zero interest in the franchise now.

Interesting... I guess having grown up with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, I never assumed FPSs to be the PC's domain alone so Halo was not much of a revelation for me. I agree with the colour scheme, but at some points I think it was almost TOO colourful, made the aliens less threatening (grunts didn't help). I prefer 2 because it has some great set pieces (like the opening and jumping on to the scarab) and paints the war in more of a grey light. It's not quite so good vs bad anymore. Also Keith David. As for 3, I liked the wide-open vehicle sections allowing for pitched battles across a bumpy terrain. I should state however I would still not call myself a "fan" as even those two are way down my list of favourite games. Timesplitters Future Perfect is more my kind of shooter.

I've never been a PC gamer either, but Halo was certainly a very different beast to Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and the other games that went before it. 2 seemed to me all about bigger=better, two machines guns, two playable characters, bigger cutscenes ect. And for some reason what I played of 3 didn't do it for me either. I haven't played the last one they released and I doubt Halo 4 will interest me much. Though I'm not a FPS fan full stop to honest, along with my interest in Halo my interest in whole genre seemed to die (though I never had that much interest in it in the first place).

Vash, have you played Mirror's Edge? It controls like an FPS fundamentally, but there isn't that much shooting, and it is primarily about movement. Essentially it is a first-person parkour game. The differences might pique your interest in first-person games a little. It is under £5 pretty much everywhere, and is one of my favourite games ever; I reckon you would enjoy it too.

Aye, it did pique my interest. I bought it a little while ago and thought it looked really interesting, but unfortunately it's one of those games that look all jaggedy (I don't know how else to describe it) when you move, if your playing on a non-HD tv. I found it nearly unplayable as the effect ruined the motion of the game (which was what the game was all about). So didn't play much of it and thought I'd wait until I got a HD tv.....I'm still waiting.

Dear GOD man! Why haven't you invested in an upgrade? I'd say even if you don't intend on getting blu-ray it's worth it for gaming alone. It's such a big leap that I had to play all my games just to see them in their true glory when I got mine =P

Finished Halo Anniversary - longest credit sequence in a video game history and it still doesn't explain how Sgt. Johnson got off that ring. The graphic novel did even less to help elucidate matters.

Playing Radiant Silver Gun. Talk about hard.

Back