unellmay said:
MONONOKE said:
iisan said:
MONONOKE said:
I have started playing Final Fantasy 7, which I'm enjoying so far
It's a great game, hope you enjoy it!

Thanks iisan :D

10 is even better
I really liked the battle system in X, I think it's the best I've seen in a FF game, but honestly it felt like I was doing far too much watching and not enough playing - like I was in some interactive movie instead of a game. Not to say I didn't enjoy it, just in my opinion it keeps it from being better then the games like VI, VII and questionably VIII, which maintained good storylines without stopping for a cutscene every few battles.

It's been said before, but Final Fantasy X is mediocre game made terrible by some of the worst voice acting ever dubbed in modern entertainment. Nowhere near as good as VII, even if VII isn't as great a game as history will record it as.

kupocake said:
It's been said before, but Final Fantasy X is mediocre game made terrible by some of the worst voice acting ever dubbed in modern entertainment. Nowhere near as good as VII, even if VII isn't as great a game as history will record it as.

QFT, couldn't agree more.

kupocake said:

What's your favourite game?

unellmay said:
Final Fantasy wise? Probably Tactics for story and gameplay. Main series, IX perhaps (VI is good too), but I wouldn't defend that on having a worse battle-system than most of the other games. But then straight J-RPGs aren't made spectacular by their gameplay, and I've yet to play one where I've been dragged along from encounter to encounter by what you have to do with the joypad alone.

kupocake said:
unellmay said:
Final Fantasy wise? Probably Tactics for story and gameplay. Main series, IX perhaps (VI is good too), but I wouldn't defend that on having a worse battle-system than most of the other games. But then straight J-RPGs aren't made spectacular by their gameplay, and I've yet to play one where I've been dragged along from encounter to encounter by what you have to do with the joypad alone.

I didn't mean final fantasy wise

but those are all the standard choices of people
who try to stay away from what's popular =/

Lupus said:
I'm just leveling up as much as possible (72 atm) taking full advantage of Giganto Monster respawns...
Which ones? I fought the Giganto Monster at Egothor Forest, which was at least 11 levels above the characters in my party, and received a paltry 15k experience. Hardly worth the effort.

kupocake said:

FFX is only loved because it's Final Fantasy. Any other title and it wouldn't have received the review scores it did when it was released. Going on those well paid for review scores, a reader would've been tricked into thinking it's the best game ever.

Poor to average characters, a story without a hook, the worst FF bad guy, fairly terrible dialogue, no world map to explore and the pain in the **** sphere grid system. It has far too many negatives.

Back when it first came out, I played it for 100 hours, mainly because of being addicted to blitzball. Years later, I tried to replay it, and I couldn't manage to get beyond Wakka's introduction. I found the experience to be boring and uninspiring.

The fact FFX had a a FF for girls spin-off tells you all you need to know about the game.

Even FFXII, the most hated main series FF, is superior to FFX, even though it's a fairly boring game with a very poorly executed story and terrible characters.

Aion said:
kupocake said:

FFX is only loved because it's Final Fantasy. Any other title and it wouldn't have received the review scores it did when it was released. Going on those well paid for review scores, a reader would've been tricked into thinking it's the best game ever.

Poor to average characters, a story without a hook, the worst FF bad guy, fairly terrible dialogue, no world map to explore and the pain in the **** sphere grid system. It has far too many negatives.

Back when it first came out, I played it for 100 hours, mainly because of being addicted to blitzball. Years later, I tried to replay it, and I couldn't manage to get beyond Wakka's introduction. I found the experience to be boring and uninspiring.

The fact FFX had a a FF for girls spin-off tells you all you need to know about the game.

Even FFXII, the most hated main series FF, is superior to FFX, even though it's a fairly boring game with a very poorly executed story and terrible characters.
Theres a lot of truth in that, but I still found it to be enjoyable between the cutscenes, I liked the sphere grid, the battle system and like you said, blitzball was addicitive. However - I wouldn't play through it again, because it's like watching a slightly interactive DVD of a below average movie that spans 50+ hours. And you're right about review scores, I don't really pay attention to ratings anymore.

I played FFX and hated, hated, hated Blitzball. I only played the mandatory matches and completely avoided it otherwise. Still somehow clocked up over 100 hours too, and played (and adored) X-2 despite the OTT girly marketing initially scaring me away until I caught it in a sale. The battle system in X-2 was one of my favourites from all the recent games.

Anyway I found FFX pretty enjoyable. Didn't play the dubbed version which may have helped. It's not in my top five FF games or anything but certainly not the worst (that would be FFII, which I have to date never finished despite starting it several times).

R

unellmay said:
but those are all the standard choices of people
who try to stay away from what's popular =/
This is Final Fantasy we're talking about. Gaming non-conformists don't play Final Fantasy games. They cry into their green-tea whilst telling you how Okami taught them to love again.
Aion said:
the worst FF bad guy
So bad in fact, that I'm not entirely sure who you mean. Seymour 'I have all the time in the world muahahaha!' whatshisname, or daddy 'yeah, I'll be an evil whale if that's what you need' Jecht?

Seymour is amusing because he's half the tree that Ex-Death was, and that was a really stupid idea the first time round (there really are limits to how evil a Tree can be). Seymour's inadequacy for the role weren't lost on the makers of Dissidia at least, but Jecht's importance seems a massive retcon.
Aion said:
Actually, that made me want to play it more. 'Sphere hunting' was about as exciting as hunting for carpet samples.

kupocake said:
Aion said:
the worst FF bad guy
So bad in fact, that I'm not entirely sure who you mean. Seymour 'I have all the time in the world muahahaha!' whatshisname, or daddy 'yeah, I'll be an evil whale if that's what you need' Jecht?

Seymour is amusing because he's half the tree that Ex-Death was, and that was a really stupid idea the first time round (there really are limits to how evil a Tree can be). Seymour's inadequacy for the role weren't lost on the makers of Dissidia at least, but Jecht's importance seems a massive retcon.

Your so wrong that title obviously belongs to kuja
He wore a THONG!! very Menacing

unellmay said:
It makes a kind of sense though. Is there anything more threatening to the predominantly young, male audience of such-games than a flamboyant, effeminate male who can make you his bitch with the flick of a floppy wrist? It's the same logic that in Halo has you fighting a colourful male-only order of fruit-pastel coloured aliens in pink spaceships (If you're a "Spartan", doesn't that make the enemy Greeks. "You know the ones"). It also explains why Half-Life 2 Episode Two introduces an enemy that attacks you slowly with a single veiny tentacle.

Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it :p

kupocake said:
unellmay said:
It makes a kind of sense though. Is there anything more threatening to the predominantly young, male audience of such-games than a flamboyant, effeminate male who can make you his bitch with the flick of a floppy wrist? It's the same logic that in Halo has you fighting a colourful male-only order of fruit-pastel coloured aliens in pink spaceships (If you're a "Spartan", doesn't that make the enemy Greeks. "You know the ones"). It also explains why Half-Life 2 Episode Two introduces an enemy that attacks you slowly with a single veiny tentacle.

Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it :p

you probably are
very good game though not my fave
I may just not be trying to put in my faves since its the only one I have which broken <_<

but very good
hasn't been one that's disappointed me yet even x-2 I thought was rather fun

I'm reminded I have lots of games I haven't bothered to finish
and will be confused when I play them again

arg I should play steamboat chronicles some more
and that suda 51 game that I find difficult
flower sun and rain

I have some really random games

Two nights ago I finally went through the last three missions of red faction guerrilla. I still wonder how they managed to set up their outposts considering (and actually survive!) considering I had to do everything :lol:

Back