What Games Are You Playing?

Was bought Infinite Undiscovery yesterday and started it today. Its by no means a bad game, but the Voice Acting could certainly do with a lot of work =/

ayase said:
The physics are hilarious. It takes the sting out of your men dying if when they do, they go spiraling through the air in a completly random direction. Jumping down into a trench and then being blown back out of it by gunfire is my favourite so far.
I loved the "Assault on Fousen" missions. Have a sniper or a scout shoot an enemy on the bridge and I've had them flying straight over the barriers into the cavern... Crash and burn, IMPs!! :twisted:

In collaboration with Valk.Chronicles, I've started warming up my PSP fighter skills, readying for Fate/Unlimited Codes to come out.

Whilst on the subject, how do we download it to the PSP? I'd be worthless getting hyped about playing it if I dont know how to get it...

Started Persona 4 this morning, just got past the whole "Press X to continue" part, I can't decide which game I like more out of the two I've played yet. All I know is that Dojima is a dangerous nigga.

I'm around 17 hours into Rogue Galaxy. Reached Vedan, previously having unlocked the factory mini-game. The game is a mix of good and bad, just like FFXII. It's fun to play but lacking in many areas.

Where as the FFXII story was at times incomprehensible and never pulled me in, with me eventually not even caring, Rogue Galaxy doesn't even have a proper story. All it has is a collection of cliches and cartoony characters. It started with Star Wars (desert planet, orphan gets sword), then used the 'crashing on a land full of primitive people' card, followed by the next area being hi-tech and the planet I just reached is a copy of American mafia films, it being full of old fashioned gangsters. It has nothing of its own; nothing to make it special in its own right.

The poor excuse for a story has also had an effect on how I feel about the game world. Like FFXII (yet again), the towns are huge, but I never feel like talking to any of the NPCs. None of them have anything of interest to say, and even if they did I wouldn't care when there isn't really a story connecting the dots. Where as older RPGs had tiny towns and managed to make me care about the game worlds, Rogue Galaxy only has size on its side.

The characters are rather poor, too. They all have unique appearances but very little underneath. The cast each play a specific role, be it betraying or just joining after some planet related drama, and that's it. Instead of developing a few, the developers opted to throw in something like nine playable characters for no good reason. The worst thing is that the characters are all pretty much the same in battle, each having a short, continuous attack and slower long-range attack.

Another negative is the battle system. The lock-on system failed, often leaving me targeting enemies far away and leaving me unable to use the d-pad quick enough to target the enemy I wanted to. I had to turn it off. And, despite the damage dealt by monsters, the small price of AP recovery potions, together with the huge amount of status recovering save points and each character having an instant kill (AOE) ability make the game too easy. Right now I don't mind so much, but I can only handle so many tedious five hour dungeons.

The game does also have a fair few going points. The game defines a mixed bag, having a lot of both good and bad. Even though most of the time the game looks as shimmery as PS2 games tend to be, some of the cut-scenes look amazing. The one near the start where Jastor runs from a small army of gigantic worms looked so good it could pass for HD - it looked very detailed and the shimmering was hidden. It was at least CG movie worthy. Another plus is the fusion system, which allows you to put two weapons together and create a stronger weapon - it's simple, fast and rewarding. I'm also fond of the item creation system, which involves you putting together parts (tubes, specific machinery for certain items, etc) in Dark Cloud style, the goal being to have all the items needed to make a new item meet at the exact same time.

...It's just too bad a lot of the good was ruined by a poor excuse for a story and only basic characterization. A lot of RPGs that could've been top tier have been let down by their stories not being strong enough, and Rogue Galaxy has to be added to that list. Instead of being great, it's only a fun game, and that isn't good when it was edited a lot before its US release. But, as the saying goes, you can't polish a turd, and the end result of the Rogue Galaxy fixes is a game that's far from perfect.

Yes. It's flawed but, once you get into it, it's a lot of fun. I wouldn't have played it for 17 hours if it wasn't worthy of sums as small as £8 new. There are far worse ways to spend £8...

Update/moaning post 2: 46 hours

Even though you can complete it in 30-40 hours (or at least some say), I'm now 46 hours in and only at 8-2/Atilista(sp?). Blame it on messing around with fusing (only just started using the official guide for help), killing the required number of enemies in the early areas, going on hunts and playing with the item creation mini-game. Others have said Rogue Galaxy has more in the way of side stuff than main story content, and it seems to be very true.

I think my 'slowly but surely' playing style is going to work against me, like it did with FFXII. In the case of FFXII, I played it for 100 hours and then just stopped, the gameplay having long been stale and me not giving a toss about the story or characters. I can't see me playing Rogue Galaxy for anywhere near that long, but it's already starting to bore me a little. At first I was cool with the lack of story and endless dungeons because after every dungeon or so the game rewarded me with a new planet to explore. However, when the game reaches chapter 8 you get told to go back to three old planets and fight through three new dungeons to advance the game... this just after you go throug a new dungeon on Rosa. The new dungeon on Zerad goes on forever, it involving climbing two near enough identical seven floor towers. It's as if the game designers got REAL lazy at this point, only having the motivation to reuse the same dungeon graphics over and over for a silly amount of hours.

And, like I feared when they were introduced, none of the cast who joined when the crew visited planets have anything to say. The only time they add anything is when everyone gets a chance to say a line, one after the other, and even then they only repeat something someone else said. By throwing in lots of poor characters to add to the diversity of the cast, they developers have shot themselves in the foot. If the game had at least featured decent character development to three characters, it would've been worthwhile to play to see how their stories turned out, but that isn't the case. Jaster is no doubt going to be revealed to be the long lost prince of Eden (spoiler?), but he hasn't had more than a few sentences to say in the game up to yet - he's as plain as a lead can be. Even silent leads are more likeable than him.

Would it have been better to have Lilika, Deego and Jupis, or would it have been better to have a smaller cast or likeable characters? I know which option I would've gone for had I been given the choice!

...Anyway, returning back to the game. It's far too easy now. Even 45000 point hunts go down without putting up a fight. Money is talso too easy to get, me having tens of thousands I'll never be able to spend. The weapon fusion system, one of the best aspects of the game, has stopped being very useful... at level 50. It seems the level cap for weapon making is 48 - which I've already reached before chapter 9/12-13 - and I already have some of the better weapons in the game. The only time I'll need to it now are when I A) need to clear space or B) try to create the ultimate weapons.

With no challenge and the fun parts stopping being fun, I'm not sure how much longer I'll play the game for. Right now it's still enjoyable enough, but my reasons for playing are starting to get smaller the more time I put into it.

I don't remember much about Rogue Galaxy (it's not the most memorble game) but I certainly do remember those towers. When I realized that I'd effectively have to do the same gruelling dungeon twice, I died a little inside.

Anyway, this week I've gone back to Tales of Vesperia and I've just about reached the 40 hour mark. It's been a while since I visited any new towns, so I'm hoping the game doesn't outstay its welcome like Tales of the Abyss did.

Oh and, lol, I started playing Onechanbara. It's every bit as awful as everyone warned me it was, but the breast physics are... interesting.

Yeah... when I'm done with it, I can't see me remembering much of a game that stole everything it has from elsewhere.

How is ToV? Is it like Abyss; is it better? C'mon man, share your thoughts - ramble for 5+ paragraphs like I do. You'll feel better afterwards.

Onechanbara: I saw a vid of that over on GB. Girls in skimpy outfits killing zombies. The gameplay looked boring as hell and it looked crap in terms of graphics.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Oh and, lol, I started playing Onechanbara. It's every bit as awful as everyone warned me it was, but the breast physics are... interesting.
Are you playing it for the school girl like everyone else?

As for ToV, I'm near the end of the game now, I'm just leveling up as much as possible (72 atm) taking full advantage of Giganto Monster respawns, the characters develop a lot, but the scenario writing is piss poor.

Some guy: "Oh look, I was cleaning out my desk and I found one of seven ultimate weapons, want it?"

Yuri: "Yeah sure, why not?"

Also, the town/dungeon themes are great but the OST is just like some mundane DragonForce garbage minus the lyrics, there are a few good battle themes, but only like three out of like ten.

Lupus said:
Are you playing it for the school girl like everyone else?
Nah, I like the legal one(s).

Having made it to chapter 6 (the motorbike stage was laughable) it's become apparent that even tits and **** are no longer enough to make up for the game's many, many shortcomings. Scantily clad girls and zombies--what could possibly go wrong? A whole lot, that's what.

Five paragraphs for Vesperia? How about five words: better than Abyss, not Symphonia.

Playing Shuffle aswell.

Seems the translation is pretty good so far with just a few typo's here and there. I love the art (as expected from Nishimata Aoi & Suzuhira Hiro). Currently trying to go down Asa's route (she is that upbeat kind of girl with a cute side to her)

Back