What Games Are You Playing?

I hate sleeping dogs. Loved it til yesterday but I was SO CLOSE to 100%, decided to replay the first mission to get some more Triad experience, my game crashed half way through and when I reloaded I'm now stuck back at the beginning of the game. All my money, experience and things I've bought are still there but I have to do all missions and favours and events from the start :/ I've gone from a couple of hours away from getting all the achievements to days away. HATE GLITCHES LIKE THIS. Tempted to just sell it now as I'd finished the story anyway and just wanted to get the rest of the achievements but now I might;ve lost interest...

Overall though it was a good game and I'd recommend. Just save any mission replaying for the last thing you do!

Finished my first playthrough of Catherine today, the game is an absolute blast. Doesn't feel short and doesn't feel long enough to put me off replaying it to get all of the endings. Normal Cheater was the ending I got this time round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still carrying on with Sleeping Dogs and probably having the most fun in a sandbox game for a long time (Not yet tried Just Cause 2 though.)

However, I have spent some of my evening playing the newly released They Bleed Pixels on steam whilst waiting for TWD ep 3 to land. It's rather interesting! Very simplistic controls - Arrow keys for movement, x to attack (tap and hold) and z to jump. Despite only being one button for attacking there's a good amount of comboing that you can do in the game, and essentially you want to get a nice high combo anyway/launch enemies into a multitude of spikey death.

The really interesting thing about the game is the checkpoint system. At the top left of the screen is a Sigil meter, which grows upon killing enemies and collecting the red orbs. When this is full you can essentially create a checkpoint nearly anywhere just by standing still. It refills your life and you respawn instantly at the place you put your checkpoint, undoing everything you did afterwards. You cannot create checkpoints too close to enemies or deathtraps though, and I can see this potentially causing another difficulty level later on.

The platforming and movement is nice and tight too. So far the difficulty level isn't too high and with smart uses of the checkpoint system the game doesn't feel unfair. Certainly enjoyed what I've played so far.

Due to popular(ish) demand, I had a bash at making a non-anime-related gaming video:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwTc1OEC9kg?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwTc1OEC9kg?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

haha, nice vid. That game looks genuinely depressing though. Saying that, I did rather like the more modern GBA Castleania's despite the fact they were always a bit hard for me.

Cheers man :)

The game is a bit unforgiving right enough. I think it probably tries too hard to retain the slower, fiddlier gameplay of the nes version, despite the updated graphics suggesting a much newer, faster game. I did still enjoy it, but it takes a bit of perseverence...

After getting four of the endings for Catherine - true lover, normal cheater, true cheater and normal freedom - I've decided to move on to Tales of Graces f. And within minutes I find that Cheria's voice actress is the same girl who did Catherine... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Last Story.

Nearing the end now. Seems a bit odd since the VAs have FINALLY seemed to find their 'talent'.

It seemed to waffle on for a bit, and the slowdown is maddening at times, but it sustains interest in the chapters of 20+.

Also Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni...

Oyashiro-sama.png

Yeah, Oyashiro-sama, yeah.

I finally got round to finishing off Space Marine on the 360 last night. Very much enjoyed it, such a good game. Story was pretty good too, if you consider the fact it's a shooter. After putting up my thoughts on twitter, i actually got a reply from the director of the game saying "Only decent" which led to a small discussion on it, and him suggesting the story was built to span over multiple titles, which was nice to learn.

Asides from that, i've just gone and bought Edmund McMillens "The Basement Collection" and so i'm going to work through that and see what madness he made before SMB and Binding of Isaac. Best part was, because i own BoI and SMB on steam, i got the basement collection for £2. But i know for sure that i'll get every pennies worth, plus more for that, since he always makes fantastic titles

Max Takeshi said:
The Last Story.

Nearing the end now. Seems a bit odd since the VAs have FINALLY seemed to find their 'talent'.

It seemed to waffle on for a bit, and the slowdown is maddening at times, but it sustains interest in the chapters of 20+.

Also Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni...

Oyashiro-sama.png

Yeah, Oyashiro-sama, yeah.

In a way I wish i could play that VN again with my previous memories of it erased :) I do really like it.

Anway, I've been playing Red Fraction: Guerilla... and going around and just blowing up the scenery instead of actually playing the game. I've got quite a destructive streak in me it seems.

As if I didn't have enough games to go through already I've started playing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 today, been a while since I've dusted off the DS but I saw this and couldn't pass it up :)

Been playing Tales of Graces F. This is my first Tales game since Symphonia - I don't have a 360 so no Vesperia and I haven't gotten round to buying Abyss (the 3DS port I mean). I went in expecting a great battle system but a horrible story and cast, based on what I'd read. 9 hours in and the battle system is definitely the most fun of the few Tales games I've played (Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia and Symphonia) but the story is much better than I expected (I'd heard that Team Destiny games can be weak with cast and story). There's a lot of things in the narrative that feel like they were recycled from other games, but I'm invested enough in it that it doesn't bother me. The cast seem OK so far, hopefully they won't get on my nerves later (heard a few grumblings about them), voice acting's fine too. It looks bright and vibrant and it seems like they did a good job upgrading from the Wii original, the music doesn't seem that memorable so far though, not Motoi Sakuraba's best.

It's been good fun anyway, I'm looking forward to playing through the rest of it. I've got ̶G̶r̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶H̶o̶r̶s̶e̶ Red Dead Redemption as well to try out thanks to Playstation Plus, will give that a play sometime next week.

Ath said:
Been playing Tales of Graces F. I went in expecting a great battle system but a horrible story and cast, based on what I'd read. 9 hours in and the battle system is definitely the most fun of the few Tales games I've played (Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia and Symphonia) but the story is much better than I expected (I'd heard that Team Destiny games can be weak with cast and story). There's a lot of things in the narrative that feel like they were recycled from other games, but I'm invested enough in it that it doesn't bother me. The cast seem OK so far, hopefully they won't get on my nerves later (heard a few grumblings about them), voice acting's fine too. It looks bright and vibrant and it seems like they did a good job upgrading from the Wii original, the music doesn't seem that memorable so far though, not Motoi Sakuraba's best.
This is, like, pretty much exactly my view after 15 or so hours. I wasn't expecting much from the story but even though the various elements have been cobbled together from other games, the plot has had good momentum and been fairly gripping so far. One thing I would mention is that the first arc gives the player a valuable insight into the characters' relationships, so it has all the more impact when you join them years later and things have changed.

As for the characters themselves, like yourself I was (and still am a bit) concerned about all the negative things I've heard said about them, but until now I've found them to be a mostly entertaining and endearing bunch. Mind you, I liked the characters in Tales of the Abyss at first and ended up hating all of those twats...

The battle system is more addictive than crack, but I find that my brain isn't able to keep up with the carnage unfolding on-screen, and consequently my initial slick dodging and countering slowly degenerates into mindless button-bashing should a battle last longer than my concentration. Still, I want to keep fighting and keep getting better at it, and that's always the sign of a good combat system. Plus, all dem titles that need levelling up...

Max Takeshi said:
The Last Story.

It's a pity about the game's technical issues, as The Last Story's battle system is definitely unique and a lot of fun (if far too easy for most of the game, not least because using cover renders you instantly invisible). While I wouldn't say it was a great game, I thought it did a lot of things right and ended up being a solid, streamlined RPG almost completely devoid of fat.

Joshawott said:
I only have about 80,000....

Having done the magic one million just after that photo... it REALLY wasn't worth it.

I guess really it is just bragging rights (or proof as to just how bored you were). Poor show by, Nintendo... VERY poor show.

Back