What Games Are You Playing?

fabricatedlunatic said:
Ath said:
Been playing Tales of Graces F. I went in expecting a great battle system but a horrible story and cast, based on what I'd read. 9 hours in and the battle system is definitely the most fun of the few Tales games I've played (Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia and Symphonia) but the story is much better than I expected (I'd heard that Team Destiny games can be weak with cast and story). There's a lot of things in the narrative that feel like they were recycled from other games, but I'm invested enough in it that it doesn't bother me. The cast seem OK so far, hopefully they won't get on my nerves later (heard a few grumblings about them), voice acting's fine too. It looks bright and vibrant and it seems like they did a good job upgrading from the Wii original, the music doesn't seem that memorable so far though, not Motoi Sakuraba's best.
This is, like, pretty much exactly my view after 15 or so hours. I wasn't expecting much from the story but even though the various elements have been cobbled together from other games, the plot has had good momentum and been fairly gripping so far. One thing I would mention is that the first arc gives the player a valuable insight into the characters' relationships, so it has all the more impact when you join them years later and things have changed.

As for the characters themselves, like yourself I was (and still am a bit) concerned about all the negative things I've heard said about them, but until now I've found them to be a mostly entertaining and endearing bunch. Mind you, I liked the characters in Tales of the Abyss at first and ended up hating all of those twats...

The battle system is more addictive than crack, but I find that my brain isn't able to keep up with the carnage unfolding on-screen, and consequently my initial slick dodging and countering slowly degenerates into mindless button-bashing should a battle last longer than my concentration. Still, I want to keep fighting and keep getting better at it, and that's always the sign of a good combat system. Plus, all dem titles that need levelling up...
I'm also about 15 hours in, really enjoying it so far. It's taken me a full week to get used to the combat system, but now I *think* I'm more or less in control throughout battles. The Nova shield thing stumped me for a minute when that was thrown in, as I hadn't really looked at the element that each arte possesses. :oops:

Character-wise, everyone seems likable enough so far - I'm new to the series so didn't realise there was so much negativity towards them!

Have to say that Pascal absolutely cracks me up in nearly all of her end of battle scenes. :lol:

Lately i've been playing Tropico 4 because I was only a few achievements away from maxing it out. I maxed it last night so now i'm back onto Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma until the end of the month when Fifa 13 is out.

A bit (more) of Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013. Quite fun once you have the decks fully unlocked, looking forward to the Ravnica flavored expansion soon.

Started lollipop chainsaw. It's funnier and generally more entertaining than I expected but the combat pretty much sucks.

Also completed Sleeping Dogs and have been plugging away at Rock band Blitz.

Even more gutted now that I know Bayonetta 2 is Wii-U exclusive, wehen wikll I play a great controlling hack & slash again? :(

FourthLion said:
Even more gutted now that I know Bayonetta 2 is Wii-U exclusive, wehen wikll I play a great controlling hack & slash again? :(
To be fair, Nintendo are helping to fund and will be distributing Bayonetta 2. Of course they were going have exclusive rights as a requirement.

Joshawott said:
FourthLion said:
To be fair, Nintendo are helping to fund and will be distributing Bayonetta 2. Of course they were going have exclusive rights as a requirement.

Doesn't make it hurt less :(

To be fair, smart move on Nintendo's part. I was thinking I can't buy a Wii-U JUST for Smash Bros, now Bayonetta 2.... I might just have to get one at this rate.

Got Kirby Super Star Ultra in the post the other day. It's probably one of the best traditional Kirby games (though I still have a fondness for Amazing Mirror), with a nice mix of modes that change things up just enough to keep the variety. Also, there's the Meta Knightmare Ultra sub-game, which is basically the driving reason I bought the game =P I love me some Meta Knight, so it was either this, Nightmare in Dreamland, or splash out on a wii for Brawl. I still think this was the best deal :p

FourthLion said:
Joshawott said:
FourthLion said:

Doesn't make it hurt less :(

To be fair, smart move on Nintendo's part. I was thinking I can't buy a Wii-U JUST for Smash Bros, now Bayonetta 2.... I might just have to get one at this rate.
It's either a Wii U exclusive Bayonetta 2, or no Bayonetta 2 at all =3.

Bought LittleBigPlanet on the Vita.

Sackboy's head turns in however you hold your Vita, and since 99% of my handheld playing is lying down Sackboy is constantly walking with his head down as if permanently being scolded. Managed to walk through a few solid objects, too :x

Got the last achievement I needed for Skyrim! (Legend). Been after that for a while.

Now I can spend some more time playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer. Until Fifa 13 comes out next week :D

Back