What Games Are You Playing?

About to start Syndicate which I managed to pick up cheap. Have heard it's good but too short, anyone else played it? Anyone available for the coop stuff (xbox)?

I'm also thinking of *finally* getting round to starting FF XIII-2, since I've cleared a few other RPGs from my queue.

Max Takeshi said:
Atelier Totori's guide has resulted in...

Which is world shatteringly crazy.
Cripes. You know, while I appreciate all the hidden depths of the Atelier games and other JRPGs, it does bother me how easy it is to miss a lot of good stuff if you're not inclined to use a guide (as I'm not, at least for my first playthrough).

So, anyway, after a few false starts and numerous distractions, I finally sat down and put a few hours into Atelier Meruru. Aaaaand I'm hopelessly addicted once again. This time you play a 15 year-old princess named Meruru who desperately wants to follow in the footsteps of Totori-Sensei and become an alchemist. But the king isn't too hot on the idea, so Meruru has to prove herself by developing the kingdom and must increase the population from 100 to 5000 within three years. Seems fair.

It works similarly to Totori's adventurer licence: you do various alchemy, combat, and gathering tasks to help develop all the areas around the Kingdom, for which you earn points. Those points count towards the different stages of development (just like the licence), and can also be spent on building things like schools and accommodation, which confer bonuses such as population increases and various stat upgrades. It's all just insanely compulsive.

So far I'd say Meruru is on equal footing with Totori. It lacks the emotional pull that Totori had with the search for Totori's mother but irons out other issues that bothered me, like there now being no time limit on requests; only having to be in the general area rather than a specific location to trigger scenes; and the container not being an absolute fustercluck.

ITSA GOOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing the Amazing Spider-man, haven't seen the film yet though, even though the game is set after.

It's pretty good, probably the best Spidey game I've played. It's got a very arkham combat system, but it still feels unique enough, the stealth gameplay is also much improved over previous spidey games especially the horrific stealth levels in the first movie game...

To coincide with yesterdays seventh anniversary of the European release, I started replaying Killer7. I hadn't actually played it on my Wii with component before and damn it still looks good. I still consider this to be Suda 51's masterpiece and a game of which quality he will unlikely to reach again.

I'm playing a lot of ME3 multiplayer at the moment. Just come out of a mission weekend (I hope I got the squad goal! I think I did.) and there is new dlc coming tomorrow so I need some more credits ready to go to try and unlock the new stuff.

devilrules666 said:
Once again thank you tachi for the info and the help. :D Hit a brick wall again on sasuke story with the red haired bitch. She is such a pussy needing someone to fight her battles with her!

Really? that kage was annoying, her combination of lava and water styles means your always playing fiddle to her attacks :/

Yeah you've got to just keep on the move and attack when an opening presents itself. think back to our fight when i was itachi and you were sasuke.... i susano'od up and you kept circling me to evade amaretsu but didn't take into account i'd chakra sprint and attack.... treat her like susano'o

Keep your distance but don't think for a second that she won't try and hunt you down, be adaptable and use chakra attacks (amaretsu's fire control) to keep her away long enough to ultimate attack.

I wouldn't advise you try to attack full on, she calls in support too quick for you to counter.

MercenaryRaiden said:
To coincide with yesterdays seventh anniversary of the European release, I started replaying Killer7. I hadn't actually played it on my Wii with component before and damn it still looks good. I still consider this to be Suda 51's masterpiece and a game of which quality he will unlikely to reach again.

There can never be enough love for that game. No other games has ever blown my mind in the same the first level of that game did.

I totally agree that Suda 51 peaked creatively with Killer 7, but I also distinctly recall being underwhelmed by the first level. After that, though, it sunk its claws into me and never let go. Genius.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I totally agree that Suda 51 peaked creatively with Killer 7, but I also distinctly recall being underwhelmed by the first level. After that, though, it sunk its claws into me and never let go. Genius.

See I was totally the opposite way. I mean it took some time for me to get passed the controls and graphics and understand, but I kinda feel some of the other levels were almost too 'silly' or something and the first one was stripped down to perfection.

I wish he'd go back to doing something like that instead of another action game based on pop culture item x. I'm sure I will enjoy Lollipop Chainsaw when I get round to it, but figure it will be the disposable kind of fun.

fabricatedlunatic said:

Yes I remember being rather unsure during most of the first level, right up until the point you first meet Susie. That was the first bit of rather dark humour in the game and once you get to the final cutscenes between Kun Lan and Harman it started to grab me. The political plot starts quite heavily and strongly at the start of Sunset, which I think further cemented it really.

FourthLion said:
fabricatedlunatic said:

See I was totally the opposite way. I mean it took some time for me to get passed the controls and graphics and understand, but I kinda feel some of the other levels were almost too 'silly' or something and the first one was stripped down to perfection.

I wish he'd go back to doing something like that instead of another action game based on pop culture item x. I'm sure I will enjoy Lollipop Chainsaw when I get round to it, but figure it will be the disposable kind of fun.

I can see why you'd think that some of the other levels are a bit "silly" as there's certainly that odd Suda feeling behind them. Almost like a gimmick trying to slip in (Currently getting all the president figures in Cloudman. I hate this specific part of the game the most and it feels so...Arbitrarily put in to evoke exploration,) but thinly veiled.

I'll be honest with Lollipop, I quite enjoyed it albeit very much in the same vein as Shadows Of The Damned that I kind of wished I was back playing Killer7 or No More Heroes. I don't know if it's my expectations but Suda's spark seems to deteriorate with each game that he's "involved" in, be that a large part or not. I'll love him forever though after he did Sdatcher, the one and only thing we'll ever get to anymore Snatcher :(

I picked up Darksiders when it was down to a fiver on steam a day or two ago and installed it onto my laptop, which surprisingly can play it fairly well. Been enjoying it a fair bit. I can see why people say it's Zelda-like in some ways, there is certainly some elements there. What's more, having Mark Hamill and Liam O'Brien as the lead roles? Fantastic.

Finally got around to taking Resident Evil 5 out of my PS3 and put in Dungeon Siege III Limited Edition. Played Dungeon Siege III more over the weekend than the weeks that I had Resident Evil 5 in the machine (confirmation I think that I shouldn't get RE6 later this year).

Am i the only one who LOVED Resident Evil 5. I thought it was awesome. You guys weren't expecting shakespeare and superfast responsive controls were you? :p

FourthLion said:
Am i the only one who LOVED Resident Evil 5. I thought it was awesome. You guys weren't expecting shakespeare and superfast responsive controls were you? :p

I have played RE games before (REs 1,2 and 3 on the PS1, RE Code Veronica on the DC, RE Zero on the Gamecube, RE 4 on the PS2 of the top of my head) so I know how they are supposed to play and RE5 doesn't play like the (maybe like RE4 but then that was moving away from the urvival horror genre as well).

The controls on RE 5 didn't do it for me (I tried the ones that were supposed to be like RE 4). Also Sheva was useless - she would often grab items rather than wait to see if I wanted something and when I selected the option for her to follow my lead she would often start shooting at enemies long before I wanted her to.

The numbered RE games are becoming more action orientated, less survival horror which was evident in RE4 but is more so in RE5. RE6 is said to be aimed for the Call of Duty crowd so I won't be getting it.

Ooh, a Resident Evil debate. I want in...

I don't dislike Resident Evil 5, but it was a step too far towards an all-out action game for my liking. Trouble is, by then Dead Space had come along with proper third-person controls and just did it better.

It also failed to add anything to the excellent-but-still-a-bit-too-shooty Resident Evil 4 other than greater numbers of enemies and an annoying sidekick who never left your side. Needless to say, RE6 is barely even on my radar.

I think what it added is coop really. Which is probably why i found it a lot of fun. Played the whole thign to completion with a friend and then we played levels over and over unlockign all the weapons etc. I can see it being a bit less impressive with CPU Sheva.

I don't really see why it has to be like other RE games to be enjoyable. If you didn't find it enjoyable though, fair enough, but I really struggle to see what was wrong with it.

Agreed Dead Space had better story, controls and was just a bit scarier and atmospheric... but I think RE5 was more FUN especially if you had friends. Both excellent games IMO.

On topic I started Syndicate but kept dying (on hard mode) so got bored and switched to Final Fantasy XIII. What the hell is with the story? It's like they went lets just throw out how the previous game worked and start over but with the same characters. The fact that everyone goes from knowing nothing about what's going on to being an expert on quantum mechanics and time paradoxes within a couple of hours really hurts my head. That and Noel just comes from nowhere. I like the game okay but finding the story a bit terrible and is actually harming the story and lore of the previous game. I really don't understand what people mean byt hey dfixed the issues from FF XIII either, it's the same game but with a level select menu instead of a straight corridor to walk down...

Last edited by a moderator:
Resi 5 had flaws, a fair few of them, but it wasn't terrible. My main issue was that it took away nearly all of the horror. I didn't look to Resident Evil for an action fix, i wanted my survival Horror. RE4 was ok in this respect since it kept a good amount of it whilst trying something different, 5 went the wrong way about it. Sure it is fun, story wasn't bad either, but it took away what i wanted the most from it, you could say.

That's where my concern for Resi 6 comes in. Not only that, the demo was terrible. screen taring, bad camera, controls, zombie A.I was terrible as well. And it just doesn't feel like horror. The fact that they even went to say "We are making this to appeal to CoD fans" scared the living bejesus out of me. I want Resident Evil, not Call of god damned Duty. Why can't they make a game ala Revelations? Now THAT was a Resi game. Maybe the hope for resident evil now lives within the CG films? Damnation finally has a new trailer that looks nice, maybe it can revive it back to what it was like? atmosphere wise at least. Since Operation Raccoon City + 6 just won't cut it anymore.

/End Rant - I am a huge Resident Evil fan, i just don't like how Capcom ruin games so often like this. Just give me a survival horror game again. I miss them

Arbalest said:
I am a huge Resident Evil fan, i just don't like how Capcom ruin games so often like this. Just give me a survival horror game again. I miss them

If you want RE survival horror you'll need to get a 3DS. An article I read recently (I think it was in Games TM magazine) which said that the RE numbered games will be more action oriented while RE games with subtitles (like Resident Evil: Revelations on the 3DS) will carry on the survival horror of the earlier games.

Fair point about RE5's co-op. I'm sure it would be fun with another player. But for those of us who prefer to go solo, we were left with an AI partner for the entire game. And it's not that I thought Sheva's AI was particularly bad--on the contrary, she saved my **** a few times and didn't even waste ammo as I gave her all the handgun bullets while I marauded around with the heavy weaponary--but having a companion just further undermines the tension that should be there in a horror game.

Back