What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

The US releases for all of these seem to be going OOP, so I grabbed them while I had the chance. The BD for One Week Friends is already going for scalper prices, so I slummed it with the DVD.
Heh, I have a copy of the Kokoro Connect Blu-ray I'd give away for free, I watched that series with the next door neighbor girl about a year ago and now we always joke about it being the worst anime she has ever seen so far, lol. I myself wouldn't put it quite at Gurren Lagann levels of bad ( @Neil.T ), but still... The only thing that kept me going through the series was that I somewhat liked the one girl character, the left-most girl on the front cover, I think... yeah, Inaba. Other than for her, I would have dropped the series a few episodes in. From the New World, on the other hand, is all but a masterpiece! I have the One Week Friends Blu-ray, but I've only seen about half of that series, I'll need to finish it.

Last edited:
nTHCTzBh.jpg

bkAZQL5h.jpg
j2jmmowh.jpg

Today's arrival is Tenjo Tenge Omnibus 8 from publisher Viz Media via their SIGNATURE label. Arrived a lot quicker than I had expected and that just leaves me with one more book left for the series.

View attachment 18148
The US releases for all of these seem to be going OOP, so I grabbed them while I had the chance. The BD for One Week Friends is already going for scalper prices, so I slummed it with the DVD.

I got a good deal on these from various Amazon marketplace sellers though. From the New World alone is normally £70, but I got all three series for £62 shipped. Clearance prices are good if you can catch them in time.
From the New World is a must have for my collection so I got the MVM blu rays after streaming it. However, I read there are issues in one of the discs. Apart from checking that they work, I haven't watched them yet but are there any major issues that a lay person will pick up/be affected by? Wondering if I should fork out to for the US version just in case...

@Geriatric hedgehog Here's the summary of the UK BD's problems, courtesy of the defective discs thread maintained by @Rui .

I don't know if the US release has any problems. I'll find out shortly...
Good to know, I always check all my discs after buying so don't believe I have a faulty disc (will check again tonight). Hoping the sync issue is localised and not throughout, in which case I can live with it. Let's see how your US versions turn out.

Heh, I have a copy of the Kokoro Connect Blu-ray I'd give away for free, I watched that series with the next door neighbor girl about a year ago and now we always joke about it being the worst anime she has ever seen so far, lol. I myself wouldn't put it quite at Gurren Lagann levels of bad ( @Neil.T ), but still... The only thing that kept me going through the series was that I somewhat liked the one girl character, the left-most girl on the front cover, I think... yeah, Inaba. Other than for her, I would have dropped the series a few episodes in.
She's the one character I didn't like the first time I watched it, since she's always hitting and insulting her supposed friends, and they keep excusing her behaviour. It bothers me how many Japanese authors think that girls get a free pass in that area. Aside from that, Kokoro Connect is an 8/10 for me.

And jeez, if that's is the worst anime your neighbour has seen, I can only assume you've never shown her any real bad anime. Try her on an episode of MD Geist or Recently My Sister Is Unusual to reset her calibrations.

I always show the neighbors anime from my collection I've already watched and enjoyed; they have very similar tastes in anime as I do, so everything I've shown them has been top tier to them. Kokoro Connect was a blind buy I had bought real cheap during a Sentai Sale and had never seen. She and I were deciding what to watch one week when her husband was away on drills with the military, and she picked it out from my shelf. Neither of us cared for the series, so it went into my sell pile. It's priced at only $10 right now in Sentai's current sale, so I'll be lucky to get $5 for it used. Thank goodness I didn't waste any more money on the OVA Blu-ray as well!

not really anime
Boom:
Wanwan Sanjuushi
As is:
Ulysses 31
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Taiyou no Ko Esteban
And Around the World With Willy Fogg

I assume the 76 is your year of birth? Actually makes you older than me! Born '77. There aren't too many of those here.

Ah, didn't know that, thought it was a Spanish series originally. Thanks for letting me know. :)
All of the shows in my post are co-productions with various European countries providing the writing and I assume most of the money and Japan providing the production. One of the rules for being excepted on to the MAL database is that it aired in some way in Japan, so they all have Japanese dubs as well. I'm not sure whether any of the Western releases have those tracks on them though.
Here's the Japanese OP for:

Boom:
Wanwan Sanjuushi
As is:
Ulysses 31
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Taiyou no Ko Esteban
And Around the World With Willy Fogg

I assume the 76 is your year of birth? Actually makes you older than me! Born '77. There aren't too many of those here.
Yep, 1976. :) Those are some very good oldies, have Cities of Gold but would love to add Willy Fog to my collection!

Back