What did you BUY today?

I've been really enjoying various Mario games recently, so I just ordered the DVDS of Super Mario Bros Super Show, Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World.

I used to have a lot of these on VHS (and I had a few of those random £2.99 DVD from years ago too), so it'll be nice to have the whole shebang to go with my Zelda set!

Fire emblem Three houses, gone with the one that comes with a collector's coin. The LE is way too expensive for what's on it so this is a good comprise

I should be getting it tomorrow (release in the UK) or Tuesday at least, also got the 4K/3D version, watched it in theatres the latest I could and had to watch it in 2D, my TV does 3D pretty well on most films though

I have a 3D projector in my basement theater to watch the movie in 3D on a 120" screen, but I don't yet own a 4K TV or projector for the 4K disc - I just want to have it for the future when I finally do retire the 12 year old 52" TV in my living room.

Pre-ordered Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn...another Thrawn novel to add to the SW collection. Thrawn is my fave SW character.

Its released on thursday so not long to wait. I didn't even know there was a new one coming out until i had a 'amazon recommends' email and there it was. It was an instant order.

Pre-ordered Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn...another Thrawn novel to add to the SW collection. Thrawn is my fave SW character.

Its released on thursday so not long to wait. I didn't even know there was a new one coming out until i had a 'amazon recommends' email and there it was. It was an instant order.
I've never read any star wars novels though finding out the are Thrawn specific books does tempt me. He was one if the best things about Rebels. Probably second best character after Sabine for me (who should've been the main character of that show)

I've never read any star wars novels though finding out the are Thrawn specific books does tempt me. He was one if the best things about Rebels. Probably second best character after Sabine for me (who should've been the main character of that show)
Never watched Rebels. He was originally introduced by Timothy Zahn in the book Star Wars: Heir to the Empire in 1991, and that's where i was first introduced to him. I've only ever read him in the novels and i was really happy when Timothy Zahn gave him his own novels about how he joined the Empire. If you want to read the first specific book to Thrawn it is simple called Thrawn. Followed by Thrawn: Alliances and now Thrawn: Treason.

Never watched Rebels. He was originally introduced by Timothy Zahn in the book Star Wars: Heir to the Empire in 1991, and that's where i was first introduced to him. I've only ever read him in the novels and i was really happy when Timothy Zahn gave him his own novels about how he joined the Empire. If you want to read the first specific book to Thrawn it is simple called Thrawn. Followed by Thrawn: Alliances and now Thrawn: Treason.
Rebels is pretty good. Season 1 is basically a kids show but the show improves a lot after that. Season 3 which introduces Thrawn is the best season as far as I'm concerned. From looking at wiki is seems these latest Thrawn books got commissioned because the Rebels show makers were reintroducing Thrawn into SW cannon. Definitely intrigued to give them a go.

Edit: there are audiobook versions on audible so they will be getting added to my commuter listening over the coming months.

Last edited:
@WMD I think if you enjoyed Thrawn in Rebels you’d certainly enjoy the books. I was very happy with his depiction in Rebels but yeah, it was a bit more obviously for kids (and yeah, suffered quite a lot for having Ezra as the main protag, who never became a particularly interesting character. I thought perhaps Maul - who via TCW and Rebels has become one of the best characters in SW - might contribute to changing that but nope). I had also forgotten there was a new book coming, thanks for the reminder @Gemsy-chan!

@WMD I think if you enjoyed Thrawn in Rebels you’d certainly enjoy the books. I was very happy with his depiction in Rebels but yeah, it was a bit more obviously for kids (and yeah, suffered quite a lot for having Ezra as the main protag, who never became a particularly interesting character. I thought perhaps Maul - who via TCW and Rebels has become one of the best characters in SW - might contribute to changing that but nope). I had also forgotten there was a new book coming, thanks for the reminder @Gemsy-chan!
Yeah Ezra was the worst thing in Rebels which was a shame. For me it was how annoying, arrogant and stupid he is at the start just made me dislike him, although he improves a lot over the course of the show as he learns his actions have consequences. Sabine was just a much better character. Better back story, better personality, better conflicts, better relationships to the others in the crew and better character design.

The Arrow Video edition of Oldboy as it’s close to selling out apparently, ordered it from HMV via their online store. Looks to be a hefty set with four discs.

The Arrow Video edition of Oldboy as it’s close to selling out apparently, ordered it from HMV via their online store. Looks to be a hefty set with four discs.
I had the original 3 disc set pre-ordered at Amazon but just swapped it to HMV. I'll take 2 extra films over a few extras anyday.

20 out of the 30 digital premium digital downloads from the KyoAni shop 京アニショップ!ダウンロード販売専用サイト .
(If anybody else wants, here is a tutorial for the non-jp savy: )
I was waiting for the currency exchange to get a bit better but it instead rather dropped, so I went screw that. Meanwhile all sorts of donations routes have emmerged, including the bank details directly to KyoAni, but I still went for that. Local donations boxes in Japan are not particularly accessible and sending to the bank directly will only cause SWIFT eat up a bulkload of fees. Sentais Gofund may be legit, but as they apparantly don't actually know yet how to actually hand it over, I thought the digital downloads are the best bet after all.
Also the images are nice.

Each comes with a variety of resoltions and aspect ratios:
216 Yen each is pretty cheap for that, too, considering how much time it must have taken to actually draw them.

I never knew before that the KyoAni shop was a shop that would accept western credit cards. (So buying stuff from their physical shop never really occured to me before.) I also didn't know about the digital downloads. It's kind of somber that it took what happened for that info to reach me.

If they had Hyoukas I'd have bought them three times over. Either way, really needing or wanting any of those images badly wasn't all that much the main goal in this case anyway. (Though I'll admit, it played in, as I didn't go for all 30 either.)

Back