What did you BUY today?

Arrow Video ran another Blu-ray sale this time focusing on female leads to celebrate International Women's Day. Annoyingly Dark Water is once again absent but I picked up these two that were on my list:

710f-GBw-eu-L-SL1066.jpg

Lady Snowblood Collection [Blu-ray]
Based on Kazuo Koike's manga series, the Lady Snowblood films have been on my list for a while and I actually did plan on getting it from HMV but it was sold out at my local stores. While Criterion did release the film in the US with a different transfer I decided to stick with this release. The films in this collection are Lady Snowblood and Lady Snowblood: Love Song of Vengeance, both directed by Toshiya Fujita in 1973 and 1974.

71-Hj-Lyrk4-L-SL1024.jpg

The Villainess [Blu-ray]
This South Korean film actually caught my interest rather recently and apparently it's pretty good. I haven't watched the trailers but I figured it's something that I'll enjoy watching. Directed by Jung Byung-gil in 2017.

I'm less a fan of the second Lady Snowblood film, but the first is pretty great. The amazing shot near the end of the film is worth the price of admission alone.

The Villainess is good as far as revenge stories go, but personally i think it’s not in the same league as Oldboy or Man from Nowhere. If you haven’t seen that last one yet, i recommend it. There’s no UK release though, but there’s the US release.

Other South Korean movies i can wholeheartedly recommend are War of the Arrows (UK release available) and The Chaser. The Chaser will be hard to get, as the only English friendly release is actually the South Korean release and it’s been OOP for a long time. IFC Films has the US license but never released it on DVD only.

A PS3 blu-ray remote
Back to the Future Trilogy on blu-ray
Your Name on blu-ray
And a copy of a silent voice on blu-ray that I can't watch because the idiots at HMV didn't bother removing the security bar before I left the store and I didn't notice until I got home (plus I have suspected gout and my right foot is still hurting and I can't be bothered going back today to try to get it removed).

A PS3 blu-ray remote
Back to the Future Trilogy on blu-ray
Your Name on blu-ray
And a copy of a silent voice on blu-ray that I can't watch because the idiots at HMV didn't bother removing the security bar before I left the store and I didn't notice until I got home (plus I have suspected gout and my right foot is still hurting and I can't be bothered going back today to try to get it removed).
If you have a strong magnet you can get that tag off. It may require a bit of elbow grease and precision as you need to loosen the tag and then use the magnet to pull the tag. It happened to me years ago and I did some minor damage to the case but it wasn't noticeable.

Back