Overseas US: FUNimation Limited Edition, Anime Classics and S.A.V.E./Essentials releases

Thanks for the update NormanicGrav, i've adjusted the FUNimation spreadsheet accordingly. Nobunagun OOP after almost 5 months after it was released, well that's pretty fast. Lucky i already have that one.

@msgeek, still in doubt if these should be added to the spreadsheet or not. If the list of non LE as per FUNimation is getting larger, i think a separate sheet would be good idea.

Stiivun said:
@msgeek, still in doubt if these should be added to the spreadsheet or not. If the list of non LE as per FUNimation is getting larger, i think a separate sheet would be good idea.

Quite possibly. The terminology I've found in lot of cases for these other ones is "art box"... Out of curiosity what is your source for what Funimation deems a LE?

Source is what FUNimation used on their own website. Also used blu-ray.com for some which were already OOP and no longer listed on the FUNimation site.

How about an amazon.com listing for one of them that states "limited edition"...
http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Grapher-Lim ... 000ENUKWQ/

I think a lot of these are limited editions... it's just that they came out a long time ago so aren't necessarily in a lot of sources (surely we have some people on this forum who remember some of these coming out and could chime in with an opinion?). If they are limited then I guess a split between these and the newer DVD LE's wouldn't make a huge amount of sense... Maybe a split between DVD's and BLU's??? I guess the other difference is the number of parts that make up a set... A lot of these recent finds were made up of 6 or 7 individual cases... so I guess we could apply an "exclude if compromised of more than 2 parts" rule... Ignore these that way...

msgeek said:
I think a lot of these are limited editions... it's just that they came out a long time ago so aren't necessarily in a lot of sources (surely we have some people on this forum who remember some of these coming out and could chime in with an opinion?).

These are the titles you're debating, right?

msgeek said:
Rumbling Hearts
Paradise Kiss
Glass Fleet
DBZ Box vol 3 (presume other boxes)
Basilisk (it's a damn wooden box!) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Basilisk-All-Vo ... 3ab3e1b8e1
Kiddy Grade (4 disk + 8 disk versions?)
Kodocha (Babbit Box version)
Speed Grapher
Red Garden
Desert Punk
Spiral
Baki the Grappler (probably S2 too)

The one I know best personally is Kiddy Grade, which had a limited edtion box with the first volume (as far as US releases go, I only have these 8 singles personally). The initial release (limited to 5,000) also included a baseball cap, although due to demand they produced more of the box without the cap. First press of all volumes included a set of cards, although there was a mixup and some were doubled (and if you were ordering online there was no way to confirm you got a box with the cards at all). That original box is the one on the right here and bottom middle here (with 8 cases inside).
The second release was double packs (the "file" sets), each in what I believe was a flimsy card sleeve. There was a box set after that (which included a full set of cards) followed by "viridian" and Classics line re-releases.

Shiroi Hane said:
These are the titles you're debating, right?...

Yeah those were a few specific examples I had found. Although in general I guess the question could be "Are there any funimation LE's that are not in the spreadsheet linked at the start of this thread". Stiivun has been doing a great job maintaining and updating that spreadsheet but I was querying on whether or not some of these others should also be listed. Thanks for the input re: kiddy grade - that level of detailed description is something I have not been able to find and hopefully is useful in drawing some kind of conclusion in terms of what form the spreadsheet takes. Ultimately that decision is down to Stiivun as it's his project.

My interest in it is due to the fact that I thought I was approaching every FUNI LE as I'm nearly done working through the spreadsheet...(only missing Princess Jellyfish and FMA)... then I discovered these and was like yikes there looks like there could be a lot more LE's that are older... I don't know at the moment if they are something I want to pick up... I don't know if I would like enough of the shows to warrant that but it wouldn't surprise me if by the time I got the ones I wanted there would only be a few others to the extent that it would almost be a shame not to try and pick those up too.

I don't know... I'm just confused by the whole thing. I hadn't bought a DVD in ~5 years (stuck to Blu's) until I picked up the funi ones because it looked like there weren't that many...

Sorry went on a bit of a ramble there...

No worries msgeek. And i haven't forgotten about your suggestions, time just isn't on my side for the moment.

Added february releases;
Ga-Rei-Zero: Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
Lord Marksman and Vanadis: Complete Series (Limited Edition)
Tokyo ESP: Complete Series (Limited Edition)

and adjusted release date for Tokyo Ghoul Collector's Edition

Added March releases;
Brother's Conflict: Complete Series (Limited Edition)
Eden of the East: Complete Series + Movie (Premium Edition)
Psycho Pass Season 2 (Premium Edition)

It's certainly been a while. I'll recap what's been happened for the past year.

April 2016:
Black Butler: Book of Circus: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Limited Edition] - $84.98
Rage of Bahamut - Genesis: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Limited Edition] - $84.98

May 2016:
Assassination Classroom: Season 1 Part 1 (Blu-ray/DVD) [Limited Edition] - $84.98
Seraph of the End: Season 1 Part 1 (Blu-ray/DVD) [Limited Edition] - $84.98
Tokyo Ghoul √A: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Limited Edition] - $69.98

June 2016:
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Blu-ray/DVD) [Collector's Edition 'Hosoda Collection'] - $49.98

July 2016:
Aquarion EVOL: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $34.98
C - The Money and Soul of Possibility Control: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $29.98
Code:Breaker: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $29.98
Date A Live: Season 1 (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $29.98
The Devil is a Part-Timer!: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Anime Classics] - $44.98
Kamisama Kiss: Season 1 (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $29.98
Robotics;Notes: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $34.98
Sekirei/Sekirei: Pure Engagement: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Anime Classics] - $49.98

August 2016:
Blood Blockade Battlefront: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Limited Edition] - $84.98
Gunslinger Girl/Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Anime Classics] - $49.98
Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians: Complete Series (DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $29.98
Ikki Tousen: Xtreme Xecutor: Complete Series (DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $29.98
Samurai 7: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Anime Classics] - $49.98

September 2016:
Maken-Ki!: Season 1 (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $29.98
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) [Ultimate Collector's Edition] - $149.98
Seraph of the End: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Collector's Edition] - $199.98

October 2016:
Blood-C: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $29.98
Blood-C: The Last Dark (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $24.98
Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion: Complete Series (Blu-ray) [Collector's Edition] - $139.98
Level E: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [S.A.V.E.] - $29.98
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD) [Anime Classics] - $44.98
The Vision of Escaflowne: Complete Series & Movie (Blu-ray) [Collector's Edition] - $179.98

Added October releases;
  • Blood-C: The Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Blood-C: The Last Dark (S.A.V.E.)
  • Code Geass: Seasons One & Two (Collector's Edition)
  • Level E: The Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine: Complete Series (Anime Classics)
  • The Vision of Escaflowne: The Complete Series + Movie (Collector's Edition)

Added some November releases;

• Overlord: The Complete Series (Limited Edition)
  • Shimoneta: The Complete Series (Limited Edition)
More information regarding these titles will be added when it becomes available.

Well seems FUNimation had a blast with the November releases, no less than four Limited Editions, five Anime Classics releases, and six S.A.V.E. releases for that month.

• Death Parade: The Complete Series (Limited Edition)
  • Desert Punk: The Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Haganai - I Don't Have Many Friends NEXT: Complete Collection (Anime Classics)
  • Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (Anime Classics)
  • Hetalia: World Series - The Complete Series (Anime Classics)
  • King of Thorn: The Movie (S.A.V.E.)
  • Last Exile -Fam, the Silver Wing-: Complete Collection (Anime Classics)
  • Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (S.A.V.E)
  • Prison School: The Complete Series (Limited Edition)
  • Rideback: Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Sakura Wars: The Movie (S.A.V.E)
  • Senran Kagura Ninja Flash!: Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Tales of Vesperia: The Movie (Anime Classics)

Added the announced December releases;
  • Aria the Scarlet Ammo: Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Shakugan no Shana: The Movie (S.A.V.E.)
  • Shakugan no Shana: S OVA Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Shakugan no Shana: Season 3 (S.A.V.E.)
  • Sengoku Basara -Samurai Kings-: Seasons One & Two (S.A.V.E.)
  • Sengoku Basara -Samurai Kings-: The Last Party (S.A.V.E.)
  • The Legend of the Legendary Heroes: The Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)

Added the announced February 2017 releases;
  • D-Frag!: The Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Danganronpa: The Animated Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Freezing Vibration: The Complete Second Season (Anime Classics)
  • Nobunagun: Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Noragami Aragoto: Season Two (Limited Edition)
  • Red Data Girl: Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)
  • Unbreakable Machine Doll: The Complete Series (S.A.V.E.)

Thanks again to NormanicGrav for his comprehensive post in the 'Non-UK Anime News & Announcements' thread.

Back