Upcoming UK Anime DVD Artwork!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they went with that cover because they didn't want to put potential casual buyers off with the rotoscoping style?

I have to admit, while I really appreciate the aesthetic of the show, for me it definitely feels like a hard sell to a crowd that has likely been raised on years of the 'typical' anime style - and the ultimate irony is the original manga is exactly that!

I loved the style of the show for the opposite reason. I'm becoming quite tired of the standard look that 80%+ of shows have had for the last decade or so. I'm hoping that we'll get a swing at some point back to more mature themes being the most popular shows, over endless moe fodder, I could be wrong but feel there's more style variety in seinen and mature shows.

antonusklesk said:
I loved the style of the show for the opposite reason. I'm becoming quite tired of the standard look that 80%+ of shows have had for the last decade or so. I'm hoping that we'll get a swing at some point back to more mature themes being the most popular shows, over endless moe fodder, I could be wrong but feel there's more style variety in seinen and mature shows.

Although that said, there's nothing stopping 'moe' styled shows from exploring mature themes - the likes of Madoka being the most obvious example. Heck, I've even seen describe the Fate Stay Night series as having a 'moe' art style.

I know what you mean though, it would be nice to have a little more variety - that's one of the reasons I like SHAFT so much as a studio; even though you could argue their shows are often the archetype of moe, the animation style behind it feels like it's genuinely pushing anime forward as an artform, and experimenting with new things.

Lutga said:
Although that said, there's nothing stopping 'moe' styled shows from exploring mature themes - the likes of Madoka being the most obvious example. Heck, I've even seen describe the Fate Stay Night series as having a 'moe' art style.

I know what you mean though, it would be nice to have a little more variety - that's one of the reasons I like SHAFT so much as a studio; even though you could argue their shows are often the archetype of moe, the animation style behind it feels like it's genuinely pushing anime forward as an artform, and experimenting with new things.

Oh I love the juxtaposition of moe-styling with mature themes, it makes a nice change! Agree about Shaft, and I tend to like a lot of Madhouse stuff as it's not normally quite so wide-eyed and typical (can't wait for Death Parade). I'm finding myself unable to stomach more than a couple of school/academy-set series in a year that use the same art style, while Flowers of Evil separates itself very well from this.

Lutga said:

You're not wrong, but those types of shows (Madoka) never appeal to me, I'd say madoka was the worst show that I've watched to date. When I say 'those' types of shows, I mean ones that as you said try to send curve balls by going for a more cutesy style and mixing it with what fans call 'despair'. My opinions of Shaft are very very very low so I guess that makes sense. To each their own :thumb:

I say this one fairly often but I think people are much less likely to notice subtle or even significant differences between two works of a certain style if they're not interested in that style in general. For example, I'd imagine many people would be willing to call both Hidamari Sketch and Non Non Biyori "moe" but they're really quite different in a number of ways. If you're not interested anyway then even if you do notice differences they won't matter to you because you're equally uninterested either way, they may as well be the same to you.

I'm not saying that it's an absolute rule or even that there's anything wrong with it, I just think it's a significant factor (and one that I don't hear mentioned too often).

I'm quite fond of what I guess people would consider the current popular style, so I'm lucky in that respect. Still, I wonder if there are advantages to preferring something that is done less often. There may be less of them but each work that uses your preferred style can seem more special. Plus, a work outside of the "normal" style is already doing something different so there is perhaps a higher chance that it might be doing something special in other areas too (story, setting and so on). If you're a fan of the "normal" style then picking up shows based purely on art style would probably give a higher proportion of "bad" shows.

That said, I suppose you may get a wider variety of shows using the "normal" style too. If you're only a fan of a particular genre and a particular art style other than the "normal" one then you might only find a tiny pool of shows that do both (though perhaps certain art styles are more common in certain genres). It'd be pretty tough being a fan of "cute girls doing cute things" but only liking a gritty realistic art style (though I think it might be interesting to see that show).

More to the original point, I'm tempted to try Flowers of Evil at some point because it does sound interesting but I doubt I'd buy a DVD release anyway.

The US blu is listed in the US region free thread...

Supermart are selling it on Amazon UK for £23... A fair chunk less that the UK DVD (at least for now...)

Not necessarily anime but it's one of Animatsu's live-action titles.

81rZiaYKvTL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm kind of surprised they went with that shot, I thought they'd go for something darker that made it seem like an out and out horror flick to help sell it to that audience.

Could be the BR edition they had trouble with - it's supposed to come in some kind of box or slip case, isn't it?

That's true. Even then, they clearly could have released the DVD version. I don't see how releasing the DVD before the Blu Ray would have any negative effects on sales of either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back