Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

£30 is generally my limit for a single cour of anime in an amaray, and that's usually easy to manage with pre-order prices.

Jaysgba said:
£30 is generally my limit for a single cour of anime in an amaray, and that's usually easy to manage with pre-order prices.

The problem with that is "in an amaray".

I guess I'll get back to you when Manga Animatsu picks up something I actually want to own... :p

It kind of comes back to a big change in my thinking re. buying/consuming/collecting anime. Part of me buying less physical anime than I used to is influenced by wider things (I recently left my job so have less disposable income), but I've boiled it down to:

1) Realising that the vast bulk of what I've bought I only watch once then never watch again.
2) Rexlaing a bit about the feeling I *need* to watch *everything* and trying to be a bit more selective
3) The sense that prices for physical anime releases are going up
4) No longer buying physical releases of stuff I've watched in the past two years via streaming / the cinema.
5) One of the major perks of buying physical = dubs (for me) - these are now available on Funimation NOW / Sentai seems to be producing fewer and fewer dubs, and most of them are sadly poor quality.

Lutga said:
It kind of comes back to a big change in my thinking re. buying/consuming/collecting anime. Part of me buying less physical anime than I used to is influenced by wider things (I recently left my job so have less disposable income), but I've boiled it down to:

1) Realising that the vast bulk of what I've bought I only watch once then never watch again.
2) Rexlaing a bit about the feeling I *need* to watch *everything* and trying to be a bit more selective
3) The sense that prices for physical anime releases are going up
4) No longer buying physical releases of stuff I've watched in the past two years via streaming / the cinema.
5) One of the major perks of buying physical = dubs (for me) - these are now available on Funimation NOW / Sentai seems to be producing fewer and fewer dubs, and most of them are sadly poor quality.

Yeah. I realise that the problem is mostly with me wanting to own stuff I shouldn't. I have this weirdly irrational thing where I feel the need to own every series I watch.

Even though I didn't enjoy Mr. Osomatsu, I finished it, so I'll probably feel compelled to own a copy someday. It's really stupid, and I know I shouldn't, but I can't stop myself.

I think it's worth remembering that as long you're consuming anime legally then you're contributing to the industry. Even if it's just watching free streams on Crunchyroll, you're doing your part to keep those shows coming. It certainly helps if you can afford subscriptions and physical releases but what people can afford doesn't have much to do with how big a fan they are.

It's not like anime wants to be expensive either, there are external systems that lead to established ways of operating and that can lead to costly releases. It's basically the same thing that decides whether someone can afford to buy one release a month or ten, how much they want to buy isn't really a factor in how much they can buy.

People often complain about anime being made for commercial reasons and it's certainly disheartening to see money being the factor in making decisions that can stifle creativity. Still, I think it's easy to forget that there are many people working in anime that genuinely care about their work and want to create something. They may not always be able to do everything that they want but it'd be unreasonable to dismiss their efforts altogether. In economic terms, anime is rarely a good choice of business and only a lucky few are likely to be making good money (though perhaps that's true of any business) so it stands to reason that many people in the industry are there for reasons other than money. Money might help people stay alive but it's not what they live for.

I think it's generally better to get something you genuinely want even if it costs a bit more than you'd like to pay for it. As with many things, the value of anime can't really be measured in money. If you focus too much on keeping your spending down then you can miss out on worthwhile experiences. That doesn't mean you should never consider your spending but I think you have to keep a balance. I don't think you should feel bad about spending a bit of money to do something for yourself.

Anime Limited

The Vision of Escaflowne: Complete TV & Movie Collection ULTIMATE EDITION [Blu-ray]
[spoilerbutton]
BD5TAXOh.jpg

oWJf1mmh.jpg
[/spoilerbutton]

Audio:
English Bandai Entertainment Dub
English Funimation Dub
Japanese with English subtitles

Video:
Broadcast Version (Uncut version modified) for the Bandai Dub
Uncut Version for the Funimation Dub and Japanese with English subtitles
Authored by Justin Sevakis

On-Disc Extras (TV):
Title-free Opening & Endings
Music Videos
Video Game Cutscenes
Club Escaflowne interviews with Maaya Sakamoto, Ikue Ohtani, Joji Nakata, Shinichiro Miki, Mayumi Iizuka, Minami Takayama, Hirotoshi Sano, Hiroshi Ousaka, Kimitoshi Yamane, Shoji Kawamori, Kazuki Akane

On-Disc Extras (Movie):
"Escaflowne: The Movie" Special Program & Roundtable Discussion
Japanese Theatrical Trailer
Japanese TV Spot
English Teaser
English Theatrical Trailer
Anime Expo 2000 Premiere Interviews and Concert
Anime Expo 2000 Premiere Footage & Panel

Packaging Extras:
Collector's Edition style sets for TV Series and Movie, digipacks and clean art
144 page Artbook
3 Soundtrack CDs from composer Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Terror in Resonance) in a Collector's Edition style packaging, digipack and clean art

Price:
SRP £149.99
Early Bird Deal £90

I really like the look. I just hope it's not amaray's stacked on top of each other (like FMP) and is chipboard boxes slid into a larger box.

elaniel said:
I really like the look. I just hope it's not amaray's stacked on top of each other (like FMP) and is chipboard boxes slid into a larger box.

Half-way house of rigid cases in a tray stacked so it's a better experience I suspect all in than last time but still needed something to store regular cases in, sorry there :)!

Very best,

Andrew

anime_andrew said:
elaniel said:

Half-way house of rigid cases in a tray stacked so it's a better experience I suspect all in than last time but still needed something to store regular cases in, sorry there :)!

Very best,

Andrew

That's fair enough. So it's stacked digipaks? I can deal with that.

elaniel said:
anime_andrew said:
elaniel said:

Very best,

Andrew

That's fair enough. So it's stacked digipaks? I can deal with that.

Stacked inside individual rigid cases (TV SERIES + OSTs in one, Movie in another rigid case + digi) :).

AP

anime_andrew said:
Stacked inside individual rigid cases (TV SERIES + OSTs in one, Movie in another rigid case + digi) :).
Kind of like a completed Sword Art Online II Collector's Edition set with the box then? Or am I just further confusing things?

Smeelia said:
anime_andrew said:
Kind of like a completed Sword Art Online II Collector's Edition set with the box then? Or am I just further confusing things?

I think Andrew is aiming for this:

EP5lzj2h.jpg

2 digipacks in one box.

NormanicGrav said:
Smeelia said:
anime_andrew said:

EP5lzj2h.jpg

2 digipacks in one box.

Yeah, then one rigid + digi for the films :)! All held in a storage tray like Terror in Resonance or FMP :).

AP

NormanicGrav said:

EP5lzj2h.jpg

2 digipacks in one box.

You know, I don't consider myself as having any manner of OCD, but there's something about seeing Perfect Blue and HAL in a Durarara box that is driving me absolutely nuts! :p

All the Anime

Psycho Pass: The Movie - Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack]
[spoilerbutton]
PP_movie_open_3D_1kx1k.jpg
[/spoilerbutton]
Samurai Flamenco - Part 2 Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
[spoilerbutton]
SF_Pt2_open_3D-850x850.jpg
[/spoilerbutton]

Both are due for Monday 5th September and Samurai Flamenco Part 2 will have an early deal of £25 on Shop All the Anime.

Both sets look great, might be able to break my plan and buy Psycho Pass Movie on day 1 :)

edit - Sam Fam part 2 at £25, i'll be getting that day 1 as well :)

Just pre-ordered Samurai Flamenco. Psycho-Pass Blu-Ray is £19.99 on HMV (along with Empire of Corpses) so have just pre-ordered that there.

Psycho Pass looks great, will be picking it up. Maybe grab the second series too if I can find it cheap enough. The Samurai Flamenco set looks wonderful, same as the last set actually but wasn't a fan of the show at all, shame.

Back