Overseas Upcoming Non-UK Anime BD/DVD Artwork

Ouch...
And no "animation material" booklet (included in the JP and US edition).
Also it's me, or it look like it was numbered with a marker? the number on the spine, it's pretty cheap looking.

Ouch...
Also it's me, or it look like it was numbered with a marker? the number on the spine, it's pretty cheap looking.
They did that before with Steins;Gate:

or images with better light from a random sales listing:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...uber-neu-ovp-anime-blu-ray-/934829628-79-8693

from what I've heard from somebody who has the box was it's just a simple marker number she "wanted to just wipe the number with perfume" and that it was totally stupid because "some could just remove the number and write an 0001 up themselves."
Also the box itself.... I mean the basic idea is the same as the backside of the US LE, but I reaaaaaaally don't know what they were thinking jumbling some screenshots together. It's not like the show is famed for having overly polished frames at wallpaper level quality.

I still have no clue whether the BDs are at least banding free, but the German Netflix version at least wasn't when I peeked into it (through that may have been just netflix, my connection or whatever) and when I saw they made Christina into Kristina in the subs (yeah on killing the RL Titor reference and yeah at the time machine right on the screen so obviously says C-204 while the subs say K-204) I very much stopped caring.
(Also while the voice choices really aren't bad at all any mentioning of Japanese words or names is absurdly and even inconsistently wrong. I don't get how they could even mess up Kurisu and spelling it as kUrisu or kuriS or whatever. We even have Chris as a regular name here...)

Incidentially for some trivia, they had tried to pull out some microwave LE, which they had done a prototype for:
(It can make a ping!!!111)

which.... I don't know what to say to.

S;G was released 2015/2018. It doesn't look like the publisher has any interest of doing things any diffrent in the sense of better (in my eyes) at all. Removable logos that don't destroy what's below and occasionally no laurel ads seem to be a major advance though.
They are pretty fast with releasing some things, I'll give them that, but their packaging really just seems questionable to me no matter in what flavor it comes... They are getting most of the major popular titles, so I guess they can just get away with it...

View attachment 6348

Includes Art Book and Animation Material Booklet.
Oh nice~ (Through the myriads of AUS logos remain ugly as usual. Do they have an extra paper piece for those like FSN UBW?)

Ouch...
Sadly that's a thing in Germany where publishers think anime fans want numbered art cases...

Sadly that's a thing in Germany where publishers think anime fans want numbered art cases...
Even then it can look a bit more genuine than that Peppermint marker...
Not that it looks any less cheap due to looking mass produced, but it looks less like a case of "Oh we forgot to print the number, so we'll have some poor part time jobber write it by hand."

German anime releases also make me think that all germans want a bunch of steelbooks/metalpak releases
There are indeed a lot of steelbook enthusiasts out there. I also don't get why. (Still a bit sour that the one title AL had to first experiment on with steelbooks just had to be Gankutsuou...)
But most anime steelbooks that aren't mainstream movies seem to come from Kaze or KSM and they usually either have two editions from the get go or the steelbook comes later as a complete collection. Guess the latter is for making some diffrence between complete and not complete?

German anime releases also make me think that all germans want a bunch of steelbooks/metalpak releases
I prefer genuine steelbooks over amarays anyday all day.
Even then it can look a bit more genuine than that Peppermint marker...
It's a bad idea in general to put it on the art case instead of a card that's contained within the case. It clashes with the aesthetic too much.

What exactly is even the diffrence between genuine steelbook and not?
(Still not seeing any diffrence between Steelbooks, Futurepaks or what they are all called.)

What exactly is even the diffrence between genuine steelbook and not?
(Still not seeing any diffrence between Steelbooks, Futurepaks or what they are all called.)
Steelbooks are segmented in three so they have a proper spine. Steelcases are two sides with a hinge where the spine usually would be making it difficult to add the title to the side of the case.

[Madman Bebop CE photo]
To confirm it is ALs but cheaper

They figured Aussies wouldn't get scammed as easily.

I'm having the French DVD box for years now... It's among the first subbed anime I had watched, in Japanese class to boot, but the teacher only had volume 1 holding 4 episodes and I've been stuck on the number for about a decade now.
As for screaming Chibis, well, that's more like a Shoujo Anime stock trope. There have been far worse out there.

The US set is censored though? What did this show have to censor? oo
(The manga had some somewhat questionable stuff later on, but the anime never got as far as that afaik.)
Enoki Films USA sold the TV versions to distributors around the world. I don't think there are serious difference with the Japanese DVD release. We can't even talk about a censored version, it's just TV vs DVD release.
I think only the two recaps episodes differs between both versions. Rather than showing cuts from the previous episodes, there's a bunch of stats regarding the number of cells with each characters with the narrator doing the recap in the DVD release. But it's a recap anyway. The rest of the series is nearly if not identical. It was made with no budget from the start. It's not like they had cash to fix the series after doing it.

Since Enoki Films USA went poof in 2010, I suppose the rights returned to whoever is the right holder in Japan (TV Tokyo?).
Nipponart licensed the title in 2017 seemingly from them. And it seems like they did not use Carlsen masters (which was the previous right owner of the series in Germany).

(Also the French release of Kare Kano is great, if you know French, they made an incredible effort to overlay all the Japanese text on screen with French text, so it doesn't get subtitles-heavy at time and if you watch dubbed you do not need any subtitles.

Last edited:
(Also the French release of Kare Kano is great, if you know French, they made an incredible effort to overlay all the Japanese text on screen with French text, so it doesn't get subtitles-heavy at time and if you watch dubbed you do not need any subtitles.

Oho, when your French box get another unexpecte value increase. (When I bought it I hadn't known about the US set and the choice was basically either those Carlsen DVDs or the French one and I went for the latter.) I really should try to find the box from all those boxed piles.

2018-01-27_3.png

Back