Overseas Upcoming Non-UK Anime BD/DVD Artwork

I can remember Fate Zero not looking great and I believe it had some errors and because I have the JP UBW and HF i kinda do want the JP encodes for FZ so will get the BD Box eventually

I've read on Just Passing Through's review of the Part 1 BD (MVM release) on myReviewer regarding the subtitles that the discs can only show one caption at a time, as there are flashing subtitles whenever there is multiple dialogue being translated or dialogue interspersed with the text translations, but it doesn't happen often enough to be an annoyance (I don't have the discs myself, so I can't state an opinion). Part 2 on the other hand (also according to Just Passing Through), the problem with flashing subs was solved.

The Australian Fate/Zero picture quality was disappointing IMO, but it was not an unwatchable release. Raising the gamma hides the problems to a certain extent.

I wish Dynit could get their hands on Fate/Zero, but there's a rights problem (apparently it's Netflix).

Does anybody know if the French ones are better? I also have Kaze France's release (also still not watched...) I think I had it wasn't so good either, since they crashed the whole show on 2 BDs or something? Not sure. UBW appears to be from AL France, pretty freshly out.

81Q9Ji--TBL.jpg

810wHoWt-PL.jpg

81Mg5nPRzVL.jpg

Not a patch on the original Japanese release, but they could sell me it in a paper envelope to be honest

The comment is about the screenshots, but IMO Leawo also fails as a player.
From what monitor size/resolution on do you see a relevant difference using the player? (I'm at 1920x1080px at 31.5") After my powerDVD software that came bundled with my external drive back in the day would refuse to play any newer releases I had been using Leawo since.

From what monitor size/resolution on do you see a relevant difference using the player? (I'm at 1920x1080px at 31.5") After my powerDVD software that came bundled with my external drive back in the day would refuse to play any newer releases I had been using Leawo since.
No idea, but I don’t use Leawo because it’s a pain to setup and performance is sluggish.

When I don't want to rip the BD for playback on MPC-HC, I use VLC (with OpenGL renderer) in conjunction with MakeMKV for direct Blu-ray playback. Copy “libmmbd.dll” twice from the MakeMKV folder to the VLC folder. Rename the two copies to “libaacs.dll” and “libbdplus.dll”. VLC should now decrypt Blu-ray discs on the fly by running MakeMKV in the background.

No idea, but I don’t use Leawo because it’s a pain to setup and performance is sluggish.

When I don't want to rip the BD for playback on MPC-HC, I use VLC (with OpenGL renderer) in conjunction with MakeMKV for direct Blu-ray playback. Copy “libmmbd.dll” twice from the MakeMKV folder to the VLC folder. Rename the two copies to “libaacs.dll” and “libbdplus.dll”. VLC should now decrypt Blu-ray discs on the fly by running MakeMKV in the background.
Huh. Might give that a go, like Luna I've been using Leawo since any other software I've tried fails miserably to play a lot of my discs, or starts to play and then almost immediately crashes. It is having to upscale to 4k for my monitor mind, don't know if that's blowing the software's mind or anything.

With some discs, VLC does let me play the streams directly from the disc's filesystem with just a right click. Which to be honest would be my preferred way of always doing things - No unnecessary loading screens or menus.

Last edited:

OoooooMmmmmyyyyyGoooooosh.
I didn't know about this, why did I never find this when I was looking all this time, but omg, now I can use VLC's accelerator function on Blu-rays too! This is something I had been wanting for ages now....!
And better screenshot capabilities, too! Leawo's was really unrealiable as in it often just didn't do anything. This just totally made by day, thanks!

[Dang it, apparently this exists since 2015. Really why didn't I cross over this a little bit earlier. .___.]

Last edited:
Back