UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

How odd, AOL doesn't seem to remember my account. They must have deleted it (although last order was in November so it's not lack of activity)

I watched Dusk Maiden over Christmas. I enjoyed it but it wasn't what I was expecting being a harem comedy with some darker episodes and a quite sinister backstory; typical anime in fact :) It also says 14 episodes but in fact it's 12 with an OVA and 14 being a, slightly, extended version of episode 12. I watched both versions and didn't spot the difference. Well worth £9.99 though.

Other offers: Amazon have Porco Rosso Bluray/DVD combo for £11.99.

I'm not sure how many people will be interested, but Blue Exorcist : The Movie (DVD) is at £4.99 on Amazon just now. I've seen it at that price there before but I decided to buy it just now.

demonix said:
Jon O Fun said:
Not a sale but definitely cheapest I've seen it for, only one available apparently for £60
(currently £88 on UP1)

High School of the Dead - Collector's edition DVD/Blu ray http://www.amazon.co.uk/High-School-Dea ... f+the+dead
It's shipped from the US, so there's going to be import charges to add when it hits the UK (that depends on if customs are on the ball) which is likely to add another £10+ to the total.
Ive ordered alot of Supermart_USA and not once been imported and everything has been £25+

I believe they forward on from an address in the UK after getting the items over from the states, meaning that there shouldn't be any issues for the purchaser with customs etc. That's what happened when I had an R1 Golden Boy DVD delivered yesterday from a similar Amazon seller.

It would be worth getting definite confirmation of that from the seller. Although, good luck with that, as I've found Supermart's communication isn't their strong point.

I pick on this because a pal of mine in comics retail tells me there is 'no mechanism for getting around customs charges' when importing. He's frequently asked about importing anime by customers who think they can dodge charges by having it come through him.

Sadly, it seems like a lottery whether you get stuck with handling fees and VAT charges when you import materials. I've had sellers I used to use reliably for this sort of thing, only to be walloped with a little grey slip and a hefty charge out of the blue.

That said, I took delivery of the RightStuf! complete Nadesico collection last week, which came from Supermart and cost me about £25. I was SURE it would get flagged in customs, as my neighbours have had three (THREE!) grey slips between December and January. But, nope.

Worth having a bit of cash stowed away for such things just in case, I'd say.

Customs, be it in the UK or in my case Belgium is indeed a lottery like HdE says. I always compare it to playing Russian roulette, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not :)

Made a lot of TRSI orders in the last 2 months of last year and none got hit by customs, but could very well be that the next one is flagged.

My Supermartusa order of Fractale was also above the limit but got through OK. Unfortunately i don't have the packaging anymore otherwise i would have checked what can be seen on this.

Elaniel said:
Perfect Blue says available within 3 days, so no guarantee they will even get it. Knowing Zavvi, they probably won't.

It says the same for the Bebop complete collection. Is that OOP too and hard to get a hold of? You're probably right, I knew I should have got Perfect Blue when it was available for £16 on Black Friday! I had a 10% code as well but I kept holding off and now I'm super sad.

HdE said:
I pick on this because a pal of mine in comics retail tells me there is 'no mechanism for getting around customs charges' when importing. He's frequently asked about importing anime by customers who think they can dodge charges by having it come through him.
Well, there is no "mechanism" but there are ways of pre-paying the duty so you avoid having to go somewhere to collect it and pay a "handling charge" on top for them to release it.

My point is more that it's wise to check with the seller that this is what they're doing.

I've ordered from sellers who claimed 'no duties to be paid on imports!' only to get slapped with a grey ticket a week or two later.

HdE said:
Also, I see that MVM's deal of the week is Campione.

Got this one already, but it's one that's worth checking out for people tempted to check it out - probably one of the better examples of the harem/battle girls genre out there, although it does have one ludicrously racy saliva-tastic scene late on in the series.

Back