UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

I really have nothing to buy during either sale, Discotek or Rightstuf, as I'm pretty well caught up on every release I want except for new pre-order titles. I do still have a few Aniplex of America titles I need to get, but of course those won't be part of the sale. I just ordered AoA's Magia Record Volume 2 and Discotek's A-ko 4 yesterday from Rightstuf, neither of which would be in the upcoming sales, but I did at least get a free Crunchyroll Ani-May enamel pin with that order. :)

Someones got a set up of Hyouka part 1&2 for a reasonable price (the older AllTheAnime one with both parts) for £55 if anyones still looking for that on ebay.

Someones got a set up of Hyouka part 1&2 for a reasonable price (the older AllTheAnime one with both parts) for £55 if anyones still looking for that on ebay.

I might have considered snagging that if they shipped to the US, but evidently not. Oh well. I had always thougth about getting that series, but I remember watching the first episode ot two when it came out and iirc it seemed a little too childish or simplistic for my tastes. I think she solves mysteries, and I love a good mystery series, but the first couple things were so basic it was almost laughable. I don't know if the series got any better or more interesting later on or not.

Last edited:
I would have entertained it, had I not bought the Funimation collectors edition.

It was one of my running notifications for a good while on eBay too, so it's just my luck that this would appear now!

I might have considered snagging that if they shipped to the US, but evidently not. Oh well. I had always thougth about getting that series, but I remember watching the first episode ot two when it came out and iirc it seemed a little too childish or simplistic for my tastes. I think she solves mysteries, and I love a good mystery series, but the first couple things were so basic it was almost laughable. I don't know if the series got any better or more interesting later on or not.

I was hooked into it pretty quickly, but it's a slice of life mystery mix essentially, but wonderful animation from KyoAni as usual. It's actually Oreki that does most of the solving brain-work, but he doesn't want to expend effort when he doesn't have to, and the girl MC essentially pulls him out of his shell and gets him motivated.

I do like a good mystery anime, do you have any recs for others you've liked? I enjoy world building or just straight up mysteries, especially where I can try and work stuff out.

For something with more of a murdery mystery appeal, I liked Kubikiri Cycle. Shaft did a great job on this, and the architecture they use reminded me a lot of the work they did in Monogatari, was a fun watch I thought.

I've not used PayPal for ages, until my latest order from UPI. I don't recall this happening previously.

The following titles have been sent to the above address:
1. DVD / Urusei Yatsura TV Series Part 1 (S) Blu-ray - £60.97
2. DVD / Ranma 1/2 Set 2 (Hyb) - £31.50
You have been charged £3.50 for Postage and Packing. You have been charged
£2.88 for PayPal charges.

I've not used PayPal for ages, until my latest order from UPI. I don't recall this happening previously.

The following titles have been sent to the above address:
1. DVD / Urusei Yatsura TV Series Part 1 (S) Blu-ray - £60.97
2. DVD / Ranma 1/2 Set 2 (Hyb) - £31.50
You have been charged £3.50 for Postage and Packing. You have been charged
£2.88 for PayPal charges.
Unfortunatly the PayPal charges with UP1 have been there for a few years at least, partly why I switch to a card a few years back for UP1, after i did exactly the same and ordered using PayPal.
I believe it is mentioned somewhere on there site or in the checkout process, but from what I rememeber it is not the most obvious sign post until well your done and then its kinda too late (might be able to change it payment methord, I think it was too late for me as I only noticed when I received the bill with the dispatched items).

Don't want to rain on AoLs parade but Dragon Ball seasons 1-5 are £16.99 each and £14.99 from HMV.
You will pay postage unless your order from HMV is over £20.
I'm thinking about season 1 but I will wait to see what the DOTW is on Friday.

Back