UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

well they've had stock of it for over 3 years. I imagine they just want to clear it out their warehouse now since I imagine they take alot of space up.

Great show though.

Lull in the Sea happens to be my mum's favorite anime, she keeps bugging me to show it to her again, lol. I did own the 3 NISA Hanasaka Iroha PE sets, but my mom and I made it through only 6 episodes and dropped it (too much comedy, and the panic/screaming kind, no less, which neither of us can stand), so I sold them off and picked up the 3 OOP Natsume's Book of Friends PE sets instead. Much better investment!

Last edited:
Or season 5 and 6 for that matter. (Or S1-2 on BD.) =X
For HanaIro some episodes are quite fine. In fact, somebody once gave me a list of those non-dismissable episode and it felt surprisingly quite complete with just those, too. (Though I did get a weird look, why I'd take that info, which was supposed to be a joke, seriously.)

I would like S5 and S6 but I could never own S3+4 as I wouldn’t want the SE.
I'd sell my NISA PEs, if I had some nicer alternative. (Not the biggest fan of the format, but with the addition of that French A4 Steins;Gate I guess it went to not so terrible after all.)
Have been eying the JP boxes (especially the S1-2 BD box) to replace them, but then I don't love the show enough for the deluxe prices for it...
But if France ever decides to get it, it goes very likely out.

Lull in the Sea over Shirobako by far for me, no contest. Give me serious melodrama anytime over cutesy comedy. 👍

Shirobako a cutesy comedy? I'm not sure we were watching the same show there, especially considering many of the events and people were based on real life stories from working in the anime. There's heightened dramatic tension, sure, but that show was transformative in educating younger (& older) fans about the actual process of creating anime in our current bubble.

As for Lull, I'd agree more with the 'melodrama' assessment over the 'serious' part, but that might just be my bias against Okada's writing shining through once again.

PA Works are an odd studio for me, as conceptually I love their approach to animation, particularly in their backgrounds (Lull definitely gets a gold star on that front), however most of their original works have fallen flat for me due to the writing. Shirobako, and to a much lesser extent, Tari Tari are the only original shows of theirs that I've honestly liked, with some others being flat out stinkers (Remember Glasslip? Ouch!). Well. disappointments aside, Shirobako & The Eccentric Family are among my top tv shows of the decade, so I gotta give them credit on that front. Here's to the former's upcoming movie

Shirobako a cutesy comedy? I'm not sure we were watching the same show there, especially considering many of the events and people were based on real life stories from working in the anime. There's heightened dramatic tension, sure, but that show was transformative in educating younger (& older) fans about the actual process of creating anime in our current bubble.

Well, GWG hates everything good and doesn’t care one bit about the production of anime. Willing to bet he never even saw it.

I liked Shirobako and it’s surprisingly frank and poignant insights about the animation process more than I did Lull, another instance of fine world-building and concepts hampered by relationship melodrama. Lull is still a very good series despite it flaws (I do own the PE after all) but I’d have to agree with @fathomlessblue when comparing the two.

Well, GWG hates everything good and doesn’t care one bit about the production of anime. Willing to bet he never even saw it.

I do love how that show opens with school girls and donuts and sparkly promises and *fast-forward 5 years* drag racing and EXISTENTIAL DREAD!

I also love how the director is literally Seiji Mizushima. It's just a shame we never saw him go on any weirdly aggressively anti-imperialistic or American foreign policy rants like he does in many of his shows. Maybe the movie needs to add in a Sho Aikawa-esque writing counterpart to get him up on his pulpit.

Back