UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

That's a bargain for Letter to Momo - would definitely recommend grabbing it for that price - it's a stunning looking movie on Blu Ray.

I have to admit I'm amazed Zavvi is still going. Even Play/Rakuten has folded by this point. I mean, Zavvi can't exactly have blockbusting sales, can they?

I have to admit I'm amazed Zavvi is still going. Even Play/Rakuten has folded by this point. I mean, Zavvi can't exactly have blockbusting sales, can they?

Zavvi and Base etc probably do ok. they have no high street overheads and sell a range of products other than games & blu rays. there is still a market for physical media. Who would have thought vinyl would still be going. Rakuten didn't fold they re- focused the business to other countries in Europe where they have a stronger presence.

Last edited:
One of the higher ups from zavvi was on BBC News the other morning they're talking about the economy and how brexit is affecting their businesses and how it may affect their businesses in the future. He was only talking for about one minute but from what he was saying it sounds like they're doing quite well.

I guess my point is, at this point, what's to separate Zavvi from the countless other anonymous warehouse sellers on the likes of Amazon marketplace? When the prices all kind of merge into an easy equilibrium, aren't they all just variations of a man selling stock out of a mail order warehouse. How many of the 'same' thing can a market as small as the UK sustain, especially when it's dominated by giants like Amazon?

I wonder what you got, as i see that for example Berserk and Ergo Proxy prices from Anime-on-Line are matched by Zavvi at the moment.
I got a few Monogataris I was missing, Accel World (both parts), Hidamari Sketch, Kill Me Baby, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and From the New World (both parts). Each one was at least £5 cheaper than Zavvi/Amazon prices, so I'm pretty pleased!

I got a few Monogataris I was missing, Accel World (both parts), Hidamari Sketch, Kill Me Baby, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and From the New World (both parts). Each one was at least £5 cheaper than Zavvi/Amazon prices, so I'm pretty pleased!

Nice haul, got the following seven titles myself; Campione!, Devil Survivor 2: The Animation, Familiar of Zero Season 4, Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East Season 2, Kampfer Series & OVA, Nyan Koi! and Soni-Ani: Super Sonico.

Didn't opt for Accel World, as the UK edition doesn't have the shorts which the US edition does. For Hidamari Sketch and Nozaki i got the Sentai releases.

All in all it was a great sale, and i'm also pleased with it.

You do know there was/is a problem with From The New World, where disc 2 of Part 1 doesn't play on some BD players ? In fact received FTNW back in March and my Disc 2 also has the same problem where it doesn't load correctly.

You do know there was/is a problem with From The New World, where disc 2 of Part 1 doesn't play on some BD players ? In fact received FTNW back in March and my Disc 2 also has the same problem where it doesn't load correctly.

Mines the same. I contacted MVM, and got given a DVD copy to be able to watch those episodes.

So you get a DVD for the problem with the Blu-ray ? If that's the case then well weird is the least i can say :) (don't like to use strong wording)

Back